Paignton Model Shop to close

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

From their Facebook page, Paignton Model Shop is to close. The shop will remain  open until the 2nd week in March, as the owners are finally retiring.

I understand the shop has been for sale for some time, so I assume that no buyers have been found. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Yes likewise when I have been in Devon,I have popped in for a browse normally finding something of interest.

Terry 

• RMweb Gold

Sad that Rick is retiring. It comes to us all so a happy retirement to him and Mrs Rick.❤️

A visit to stock up with essentials is now essential. There will be no town model shops in a good part of Devon any more. Sadly, it's way of things nowadays.

In past times, his prices for a lot of models were only a quid or two more than from 'box shifters' when p&p is included. 

Edited by Re6/6
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Always a must visit along with Warren's for my saffron cake when visiting Torbay. At least we still have Expressway Models at Buckfastleigh.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There is also Bekra Models at Newton Abbot. While not primarily a model railway shop they do have a selection of railway stuff there along with brass, wood and plastic material for scratchbuilding and a wide range of paints and tools.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Great Shame, I had really outstanding service from there. I try to call in when I am in Devon  but Paignton is not on a main route so means a detour (Unlike the Buckfastleigh shop just off th main road)  I guess future prospects  for modelling with the cost of inventory  escalating have put off potential buyers.   And laziness, I'm 10 miles from a major box shifter but buy 90%of my models on line  . There is a sewing shop near Poundland in Teignmouth  which sells model railway items, they shut at 4pm today and I arrived at 10 past

6 hours ago, DCB said:

Great Shame, I had really outstanding service from there. I try to call in when I am in Devon  but Paignton is not on a main route so means a detour (Unlike the Buckfastleigh shop just off th main road)  I guess future prospects  for modelling with the cost of inventory  escalating have put off potential buyers.   And laziness, I'm 10 miles from a major box shifter but buy 90%of my models on line  . There is a sewing shop near Poundland in Teignmouth  which sells model railway items, they shut at 4pm today and I arrived at 10 past

Sew Much More on the pedestrianised part of Bank Street in Teignmouth sells a varying selection of 2nd hand model railway items including coaches and wagons, and some buildings and scenic items and model buses. There is also a selection of 2nd hand railway books. The items are sold to raise funds for the Totnes Station group on the South Devon Railway.

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
missing word.
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Sew Much More on the pedestrianised part of Bank Street in Teignmouth sells a varying selection of 2nd model railway items including coaches and wagons, and some buildings and scenic items and model buses. There is also a selection of 2nd hand railway books. The items are sold to raise funds for the Totnes Station group on the South Devon Railway.

cheers

Thanks, I must pay them a visit next time I'm visiting my mum in Teignmouth. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As has been mentioned, Bekra models in Newton Abbott is still there, although not a pure model railway shop. Colletts in Exmouth is also still there (I've never visited so cant comment).

But it seems a shame that neither Exeter nor Torbay can support a model railway shop. It can't be a lack of modellers - Exeter has two model railway clubs!

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

For many who have paid into pension pots getting to 55 and having the ability to retire is very tempting.  At times for some it can be a 7 day job as the shop is open and model exhibitions at the weekend so when do you have a day off?

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

10 hours ago, AMJ said:

For many who have paid into pension pots getting to 55 and having the ability to retire is very tempting.  At times for some it can be a 7 day job as the shop is open and model exhibitions at the weekend so when do you have a day off?

I can’t imagine retiring at 55 unless I have literally millions of pounds to spend . More like 75 the way things are going 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...