RMweb

Accentuate the negative - who's trying to kill the hobby?

36 minutes ago, PMP said:

The problem with ‘extrapolating’ observations as you have made is that the videos you’ve watched, only include elements that the videographer wants to film. There are plenty of examples of realistic modelling at exhibitions, and channels that cover them.

Nobody is extrapolating anything and I've seen some very nice layouts with decent weathering live and on video.  All the videos I've watched show whole layouts and all the exhibits at the show, not just "edited highlights".  But many, many more seem to have little weathering beyond the rolling stock.  Perhaps that is how the layout builder wanted things, and if you read the rest of the post instead of jumping to conclusions and using your conclusions to put up a patronising response, you would see that notwithstanding my finding it odd quite a few exhibitors seemingly prefer not to weather buildings, track or in some cases stock. I still value the skill, modelling and the fact they have shared their modelling and time to show the layout off.  Having done exhibitions myself as an exhibitor it's no easy task and my observations were by way of a casual observation of a wide range of layouts, both in person and on well produced and comprehensive videos, all shot with the consent of the exhibitor.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MattR said:

It's a handy and shortened way to refer to people born in a specific time frame, rather than having to say "people between the ages of 27 and 12" and next year "people between the ages of 28 and 13" and after that "people between the ages of 29 and 14".

Guess we should stop "labeling" people as Victorians or Edwardians.

You just added in more ....its boring and pointless

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The problem with labelling by age and generation is it generally leads to judging people according to which group they sit in. I get the logic in defining generations for statistical analysis and other things, and get defining historic eras but it falls down when people in older age groups are out of touch technophobic bigots who hate outsiders, young people are feckless layabouts who sit around playing games and expect everything on a plate blah blah blah. If such generalizations were applied to gender, race, nationality or other traits they'd rightly be dismissed as prejudiced and hateful but for some reason it seems OK to make sweeping and objectionable generalizations based on age.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, MattR said:

I think those generalizations would exist even if generational theory wasn't a thing. We're humans. We love to judge.

I tend to agree, however I think we'd just dream up alternative labels to pigeonhole people.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MattR said:

At least here in the U.S.:

Silent Generation: born 1928-1945 (ages 96-79)

Baby Boomers: born 1946-1964 (ages 78-60)

Gen(eration) X: born 1965-1980 (ages 59-43)

Millennials: born 1981-1996 (ages 42-28)

Gen(eration) Z: born 1997-2012 (ages 27-12)

Gen(eration) Alpha: born 2013-present (age 11 and under)

Really?

Is this straight up?

Born in 67 I've always been told i was a baby boomer?

But what do i know: I've mostly dabbled in GWR,  but as i now include surface rail on my Paddington project i guess I'm LPTB too 😆

Edited by Long Line
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Ian Fisher said:

Means B*gger all 

I dont get why people are so keen on labelling others 

As someone else pointed out , it’s an easy reference to when people were born.

It’s not some “judgement “ on the relative merits of each group, so you can park your outrage .

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I know what Tim (CK) means, but following on fromMatt's comment I think I'm happy to be labelled an Elizabethan, maybe...

Generally not fond of labelling, even less judgments, and as for rules, grrrr

I'm off to the show at Compton Dundon tomorrow to remember the wonderful Howard Martin, with friends. My display is quite hard to label - neither layout nor train set.....

I have set my alarm

Simon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Or we could just use the Bachmann era system 😁

No thanks!

As a proud Red I refuse to identify as anything "Blue"!  🤢

But you would also get two factions. Hornby or Bachmann, as they are both different....

https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/pg/192/KRMC-Skrifa---The-Epoch-or-Era-System

Splitters!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, rob D2 said:

Is their not like an NMRA standard set of eras ?

I'm not sure - but NMRA eras include, I think Transition, being from steam to diesel. That occurred in the early '50s in the `US, a full decade later in the UK. 

• Agree 1

17 hours ago, Long Line said:

Born in 67 I've always been told i was a baby boomer?

Read P.J. O'Rourke's 'The Baby Boom' and once you have recovered from persistent laughter syndrome you can make your own decision.

Or we can all accept that people are just people and incapable of being described by timetable. I have just finished David Mitchell's 'Unruly' (more persistent laughter syndrome) and so much of his diatribe about the development of the UK's royalty from dark ages to late medieval, precisely echoes what Samuel wrote in the late Bronze age: which I would summarise as 'And you'll be sorry': 1 Samuel, c8 vv 11-18.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Is their not like an NMRA standard set of eras ?

Yes full set of standards issued under the NEM norms.  The problem is they are centred on German railway history and sometimes they coincide with other country's development and often they don't get to a close match.   

Edited by Andy Hayter
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

It’s not some “judgement “ on the relative merits of each group, so you can park your outrage .

See more slack English.......never mentioned "judgement" clearly subconsciously you feel it relevant.

20 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Park my outrage jesus wept lad...... enough

Just now, 2ManySpams said:

Is this the right thread for an argument? Just asking for a friend...

Just now, 2ManySpams said:

Is this the right thread for an argument? Just asking for a friend...

I see this as an attack ! someone is clearly happy to use emotive stupid phrases that somone showing themselves up as a bit weak......

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Ian Fisher said:

How sad.....

Don't go reporting the posts of people you're arguing with and then quote them. It creates more work and you're being just as much of a PITA. Enough.

• Like 4
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1