Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

N Gauge PD JHA Wagon

Revolution Mike B

• RMweb Gold

Last year, I spoke to Joel (Dapol) and asked if we’d see the PD JHAs in N Gauge. Unfortunately, he doesn’t think it would be viable as the O&K ones didn’t sell as quickly as they’d hoped. With that in mind, I asked him if he would consider making some if I could muster enough people to ‘put their money where their mouths were’ and make it happen. As with most things, my day job has rather got in the way so this is as good a place as any to drum up some interest. 

I’ve not got any figures yet but when I get five minutes, I’ll ping an email off to see what the MOQ (Minimum Order Quantity for those that aren’t familiar) is and we can go from there. Obviously, the lower the MOQ, the more chance we have of making it work, but the higher the unit cost will be. 

If anyone is seriously interested, please register your interest here (as my friends at Dapol monitor the RMWeb posts) and we’ll get the ball rolling. 

Cheers

Mike 

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm super conflicted on these! My heart tells me I'd like 20 Hanson ones, but in reality given I've got 'my' 3D printed ones I probably wouldn't unless the price was lower than is realistic. I'd probably have one or two though, as I really like them!

• Like 1

I'd be in it for 16+... if they're good and the same price as the OK ones. I wouldn't be surprised if much of the reason for the slow sale of the OK JHAs was their fairly poor overall quality, if they can make PD ones that run properly and don't fall apart in the box I'm very much game. Saves me printing more too!

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I would be in for at least 8 to start. Price would have to be no more than the O&K, unless serious improvements were made to resolve the coupling issues, fragile detail parts, and excessive rolling resistance.

Still a proud owner of 10 O&K JHAs.

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, hclewis said:

I would be in for at least 8 to start. Price would have to be no more than the O&K, unless serious improvements were made to resolve the coupling issues, fragile detail parts, and excessive rolling resistance.

Still a proud owner of 10 O&K JHAs.

Let me be perfectly clear here. The price will be reflective upon the MOQ and what the factory charge Dapol to make them for. Small detail parts will fall off - it’s inevitable. As with any inside bearing bogie, there will be some drag in N Gauge. It’s near on impossible to get needle roller bearings like we would use in OO. 

To be fair on the O&K version, once you’ve added 0.25mm shims to the bogies, they run very well. I’ve got quite a few now and there’s no issue. 

Cheers

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have a rake of the O&K JHAs and am glad I have. I'm very pleased with them.

It was easy to fit thin washers under the bogies and they all run fine. I also fitted the Hunt couplings, the ones specially made for these and they are also worthwhile.

I'd like a rake of ARC too.

23 hours ago, Revolution Mike B said:

Let me be perfectly clear here. The price will be reflective upon the MOQ and what the factory charge Dapol to make them for. Small detail parts will fall off - it’s inevitable. As with any inside bearing bogie, there will be some drag in N Gauge. It’s near on impossible to get needle roller bearings like we would use in OO. 

All understood, I was just explaining what would help part me from my money.

I forgot to say in my last post, I would be most interested in Hanson livery.

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, Aire_Valley said:

I would be very interested in 21x National Power livery. Providing they could add the 3 vertical strengthening ribs.

Tim

These will only be the ARC version that worked out of the Mendips. 

9 hours ago, Aire_Valley said:

I would be very interested in 21x National Power livery. Providing they could add the 3 vertical strengthening ribs.

Tim

Other than the overall silhouette and bogie type, the National Power wagons are very different to the ARC build.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I’d take a rake of Hanson - total number I’d purchase would be down to weight and rolling drag…. which we wouldn’t know until they arrived - which makes it hard to judge how many to pre-order….

Generally these days I’m finding modern rollingstock just too heavy to form prototypical train lengths; Farish excepted…. although I notice that even some of their most recent toolings are heavier than they might traditionally have been…. although I reckon a Farish 66 would still easily handle 20 HKA (the HKA being on the heavier side for Farish).

From my perspective, the single biggest consideration for purchasing large numbers of a particular wagon is the weight (coaches to a lesser extent)…. if a loco can only pull ten of something, I’ll only buy ten…. if it can pull 20, then I’d probably buy 20 - you get the gist…. I’ve often felt that manufacturers are ‘self harming’ their sales by making their wagons too heavy….

I will say that cost of living is now taking a bite too…. 

Anyway, rant over - count me in @Revolution Mike B

Finally, it would be good if they came with those cosmetic knuckle connecting bar couplings, like came with the O&K wagons…. in fact, I think Dapol should make those available separately, cos they could be used for a variety of modern wagons.

Count me in for at least a 10 wagon rake in original ARC colours, my new 59's need them along with PTA and PGA.

Cheers

Mark

Edited by scruff
added info

• RMweb Gold

Ok folks. I have an update. 

Given the MOQ, and unit cost, my friends at Dapol are still unsure and would prefer not to produce the wagons, so, to avoid anyone being disgruntled, I wholly respect their decision and will not pursue it any further. 

All is not necessarily lost though….please watch this (well not this one) space……

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2