Where to get decals

Hi everyone

I was given a nice gift voucher for Amazon for Xmas. I wanted to buy an Oxford Rail Dean Goods in early BR but they only had one in WD markings. I bought it and I can respray the body and tender black but where do I go to get a number and BR early tender decals?

28 minutes ago, Barclay said:

I always use the Pressfix transfers from HMRS. Much better than waterslide.

Sadly HMRS products are very poor the last time I used them (alignment) . I would also go to Fox or Railtec

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Longhaireddavid said:

Hi everyone

I was given a nice gift voucher for Amazon for Xmas. I wanted to buy an Oxford Rail Dean Goods in early BR but they only had one in WD markings. I bought it and I can respray the body and tender black but where do I go to get a number and BR early tender decals?

I'm wondering if one of the existing customisable offerings below might be a good fit?

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=complete+steam+loco&gauge=4mm

Everything you need for the loco (with exception of lining), incl your choice of ready-made number (either standard BR or 3d cabside plate), 3d smokebox (or bufferbeam number), 3d shed code, totem facing left and/or right and power classification all in the one pack. Spot printed so no superfluous carrier film, saves you having to line up individual digits and perfect print/colour registration.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, railtec-models said:

I'm wondering if one of the existing customisable offerings below might be a good fit?

https://www.railtec-models.com/catalog.php?search_str=complete+steam+loco&gauge=4mm

Everything you need for the loco (with exception of lining), incl your choice of ready-made number (either standard BR or 3d cabside plate), 3d smokebox (or bufferbeam number), 3d shed code, totem facing left and/or right and power classification all in the one pack. Spot printed so no superfluous carrier film, saves you having to line up individual digits and perfect print/colour registration.

In fact I found this and have ordered a set. Trouble is I have no idea how to answer most f the questions 

- Which running number you would like;  23XX - suggestions?
- Whether the 3d cabside plates have a black or red background; black I think 
- Whether the running number should be lined or unlined; unlined 
- Which shed code; No Idea. My railway ^s based in Devon
- What power classification and on what colour background (if any) No idea
- What size crest (small is approx 3mm high, medium 5mm high, large 9mm high) 5mm I think
- Whether the crests should both be left-facing as standard? Yes, I think

So how did I do?

Once this is sorted I can answer their questions correctly.

I was brought up in a SR electric environment and my first train set was a TR hang Transcontinental so I have always built US outline so I am very much in the dark when such detailed equations come up.

• RMweb Gold

Dean Goods were numbered in the 23/24/25xx series and carried cast brass GWR-type numberplates on the cab sides, continuing to do so into the BR period.  Standard BR smokebox number plates with white painted numbers were provided after June 1948.  I would reccommend Ms Prism's website, gwr.org, where a lot of the sort of information you need will be found, and illustrated with photographs.  BR Database is useful for shed allocations at different periods, so checking a Devon shed, say Newton Abbott, will show up examples of DGs allox there in the period in which you are interested, and give you the correct shed code, which Railtec will provide as the correct oval plate to be mounted low down on the smokebox door. 

Now, liveries and letter styling.  Early BR would provide examples of 1942-5 GWR livery, black with all brightwork painted over, G W R initials on the tender,1945-7 post-war, unlined green, BR January-June 1948, as previous but with BRITISH RAILWAYS in full on the tender in GWR 1920s-style 'Egyptian Serif' script, June 1948-September 1949 BR standard unlined black with BRITISH RAILWAYS in Gill Sans script, September 1949 BR standard unlined black with 'unicycling lion' medium size totem on tender side, lion facing forwards.  Red backgrounds for cabside, smokebox, and shedcode plates were applied from September 1949 but went out of use after two or three years. 

Mostly.  Some BR black liveried locos were given the 'mixed traffic' LNWR-style lining, and these had the small totem.  No Dean Goods survived long enough to carry the 1958 'ferret & darboard' totem, or any of the 1956 liveries.  I cannot help with which locos were lined, or when, you will have to rely on photographic evidence.  If in doubt, plain unlined black; you can always alter it should more information come to light at a later date.    

The power class was 'ungrouped', and there was no route availability restriction on the class, so no cabside dots or letters for you to worry about.  The last in service, and subsequently preserved, was 2358, but this was not stationed in Devon.  Topfeeds on the boilers were usual but not universal by BR days, and I can't off-hand recall whether your model has one. Again, you will have to rely on dated or at least dateable photographic evidence, as boilers were swapped out at overhauls and a photo of a loco with a topfeed in the 1930s is not a guarantee that it still had a boiler fitted with one in the early 50s.  Obviously, your life will be easier if your loco does not have a topfeed, as it easier to retro-fit one than to carve an unwanted one off.  Keep your loco as it is unless information to the contrary comes to light later.

The GWR sheds in Devon were coded in the 83 series by BR Western Region during the early 50s, with Newton Abbot, the main shed and where the workshop facilities were located, being 83A with sub-sheds at Ashburton & KIngsbridge, Exeter was 83C with sub-shed at Tiverton Jc, and Plymouth (Laira) was 83D with subs at Plymouth Docks & Princetown. 

Edited by The Johnster

I think there is a mistake with the numbers, 2538 was the last one with 2516 the one that was preserved. Both the ones that Mainline made.

I'm afraid most went in the 1930s with the ones withdrawn post 1939 to 1940 being resurrected and requisitioned by the WD. None of which came back to the GWR or BR.

Only 54 made it to BR.

https://www.brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=class&id=106001&type=S&page=alloc

If you are looking for ones that might have made it to the South West I would be looking at those at Bristol St Phillips Marsh or Westbury being more likely, rather than ones based in Mid Wales.

Ignore 2498 (3902) on that list as being at Laira as that was an oil burning Hall!

Have a look through photos to see if any match. Some here.

https://www.rail-online.co.uk/p679214033

https://www.transporttreasury.com/p962799968

Jason