RMweb

MTK Class 404 4-GRI

Likewise!

A time and motion study on Darius's methods would be very enlightening, but I suspect whoever conducted it would also have to go without sleep, food and PNBs ! 😉

The Class 109 DMU which started the rush already seems a long time ago........ except that it wasn't!!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

very nice work, always impressive to see someone actually finish an MTK kit, all the more so when you look at the finished model and cant tell its MTK!

You can tell, lots of giveaways, like 1 piece body and those poor castings. But it looks good.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MJI said:

You can tell, lots of giveaways, like 1 piece body and those poor castings. But it looks good.

I don't think even Darius is blind to it's shortcomings, but as a  piece of layout stock it passes muster, he's presumably not building them to win awards for prototypical accuracy, but gets my award for perseverance in the face of many obstacles!

Mike.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I don't think even Darius is blind to it's shortcomings, but as a  piece of layout stock it passes muster, he's presumably not building them to win awards for prototypical accuracy, but gets my award for perseverance in the face of many obstacles!

Mike.

Thanks Mike.  I am, indeed, building these kits for the fun of it all 😀

Hard to believe, I know.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold

Undoubtedly the finest - maybe the only? - 4mm Cor/Buf/Gri/Res I’ve seen. Once or twice a year Mum would take me to London on one in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s. They had an interior ambience unmatched in later builds, although I was fond of the prototype CEPs & BEPs, with all their woodwork, and the buffet car on 7001 (S69000) especially. 

I think 4-car EMUs remain a difficult area for RTR manufacture, so do not expect Darius's efforts to be usurped any time soon. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Undoubtedly the finest - maybe the only? - 4mm Cor/Buf/Gri/Res I’ve seen. Once or twice a year Mum would take me to London on one in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s. They had an interior ambience unmatched in later builds, although I was fond of the prototype CEPs & BEPs, with all their woodwork, and the buffet car on 7001 (S69000) especially. 

I think 4-car EMUs remain a difficult area for RTR manufacture, so do not expect Darius's efforts to be usurped any time soon. 

Silver Fox do RTR 4-CORs on their website, and sometimes have the BUF/GRI/RES appear on their eBay shop.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Thank’s Ian, but the late Colin Park’s scratch built 4mm 4-COR is, to me, the finest model of this prototype.  It, and  his other work, is truly inspirational.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 3
  • Agree 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I think the best 4mm 4-Cor I've seen, would be the late Colin Park's scratch-build that he documented on here a few years back. His 4-Cig was just as good as well, and from some angles, you'd be forgiven (the same with the 4-Cor) for thinking that it was the real thing. A pity that a lot of the photos were lost in the great RMWeb DB crash....

However, that's not to take away from Darius's fantastic model, considering the starting point. It looks like a 4-Cor family unit to me, although I'm not old enough to have seen a real one in service.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Hard to believe, I know.

Cheers

Darius

I find them interesting, and good to see them completed.

MTK castings are pretty shocking so a good result is not easy.

But you do need a 4 COR now.

And to run them.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

It will be fine on a layout, but so few MTK have been built, also rare.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Darius43 said:

Hard to believe, I know.

Cheers

Darius

Fun, isn't that what this hobby should be.

"Oh, please mister
Just leave me alone
I'm only
Lookin' for fun
Lookin' for fun
F, U, N"

The Clash

The only trouble with using the MTK ends the gangway connector is a solid lump, where as on the real things they danced about in front of the rest of the train to their own beat. 🙂

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"Oh, please mister
Just leave me alone
I'm only
Lookin' for fun
Lookin' for fun
F, U, N"

The Clash

The only trouble with using the MTK ends the gangway connector is a solid lump, where as on the real things they danced about in front of the rest of the train to their own beat. 🙂

Didn't Colin investigate motorising the gangways?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

"Oh, please mister
Just leave me alone
I'm only
Lookin' for fun
Lookin' for fun
F, U, N"

The Clash

. 🙂

I been running Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday
Runnin' Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday