Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Flat handrails - what would you use?

I'm modelling a 313 in 1:120. I'm straying out of my build thread for some help with the handrails, which are flat.

What do people generally use for flat handrails in 3mm or N? I think the rails should come up about 0.3mm in width.

I have round wire, but at this scale I think the roundness of round wire will be noticeably round.

I have considered square rod. Looking online, the only square rod I have found in this thickness is styrene. Working with 0.3mm styrene doesn't sound appealing. I would prefer steel or brass but I've only seen only square brass rod in 1mm so far...

I have discovered some flat/ribbon resistance wire on eBay - by a vaping supplier I think. Nichrome or steel are available, but would they be too soft? 

I'm reluctant to 3d print them as I'd almost certainly have to solidify them to the body.

Thanks,

Michael

• RMweb Premium

I have made wire flat by tinning a sheet of brass, soldering wire onto it and filing it flat.

It doesn't have to be absolutely precise. You can do both sides but at that size, just getting a flat on the outside facing surface should be enough.

I hope that is a possibly helpful suggestion.

Edited by t-b-g
typo
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

These guys do square brass and copper wire down to 0.5mm in copper 

also do half round wire useful for beading 

I have bought from them before no issues 

https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/MetalClays4You?ref=related&from_page=listing&listing_id=536176488&search_query=Brass

just search copper for the copper wire 

Edited by Asterix2012
  • Like 1

Staples can be a useful source. I have collected a considerable number in a surprisingly large range of sizes over the years, culled from magazines and advertising booklets before they are added to the "recycling" bin. They can usually be pressed in a vice to remove their inherent bends, they are robust for their size and they solder well. New unused ones can be useful too.

• Like 2

Use the 0.3mm wire but crush it slightly (not wafer-thin) in a pair of flat smooth jawed pliers. If that makes it flat but too wide one of the metal section suppliers (K&S ?) does 0.25 or 0.2mm wire instead. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I've generally gone down the filed down brass wire route so far.  Annealed to make it readily bendable, formed to shape in a crude jig which also holds the front face flat when filing it etc.  Quite pleased with the result, certainly better than the etched ones I got with the kit - see part way down Page 16 in the thread attached for a more step by step explanation:

MR25Parcels1.jpg.e7fac23ab6544fdc7f66626f27f75802.jpg

But staples would seem to offer interesting possibilities as well 🙂

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Use the 0.3mm wire but crush it slightly (not wafer-thin) in a pair of flat smooth jawed pliers. If that makes it flat but too wide one of the metal section suppliers (K&S ?) does 0.25 or 0.2mm wire instead. 

That's exactly how I have created a few lamp irons and the like in OO scale. It works, albeit, it can be a little tedious to do.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the suggestions. For some reason I wasn't getting any notifications for this thread, so I'm just catching up now.

The Etsy shop and Wizard models sound like the sort of places I was looking for, and I've bookmarked both of those, but using staples is a lovely idea. I've got some on the shelf next to me measuring 0.47mm so I'll give those a go first.

15 hours ago, Wheatley said:

Use the 0.3mm wire but crush it slightly

I'm keeping this in mind too - I have a plier wrench that I think will make a fairly quick job of that.

• RMweb Premium

Avoid the staples - too thick. I'd have thought crushing will make the wire slightly wider than the looked-for 0.3mm. I always go with filing as per @t-b-g and @Citadel. Citadel has even shown how good it can look. A refinement on t-b-g's sheet of brass, though, is to tack solder to a slab of PCB (less flex). 

Edited by Daddyman
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, Daddyman said:

Avoid the staples - too thick. I'd have thought crushing will make the wire slightly wider than the looked-for 0.3mm. I always go with filing as per @t-b-g and @Citadel. Citadel has even shown how good it can look. A refinement on t-b-g's sheet of brass, though, is to tack solder to a slab of PCB (less flex). 

Staples come in a variety of sizes - and therefore thicknesses.

Simply find the size that has an appropriate thickness.

CJI.

• 1 month later...

I started squeezing with a big knipex plier wrench, but for this job, they did seem to come up a bit wide - so I ultimately went with filing flat.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

20240313_172701.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Blefuscu said:

I started squeezing with a big knipex plier wrench, but for this job, they did seem to come up a bit wide - so I ultimately went with filing flat.

Thanks everyone for the advice!

20240313_172701.jpg

One for next time dcc concepts do a stainless steel hand rail bending jig. Possibly feed wire through and twist ends under neath then file the front flat sounds like it would give the desired effect

Several suppliers but one hear just to show jig picture 

https://www.jacksonsmodels.co.uk/dcc-concepts-dcgsr4-stainless-steel-scale-ruler-and-handrail-jig.ir?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjwncWvBhD_ARIsAEb2HW8JV93HLyhKN1j3jPIa_WDPnXCXKnF1E7LN5UUaVxTbhzahNGL_LnYaAvN8EALw_wcB

The plier wrench was actually fine for pressing/flattening - but I would have had to have down a another 0.1mm I think to compensate for the flattening.

I don't think I could justify the rolling mill for the amount of work I'm carrying out (or the space I have).... that handrail jig looks very useful though. Small enough that I might just smuggle it in without any justifying too.

Need new pliers too... my 'fine' point pliers are old enough to have accrued some sentimental value now, but are really no longer up to fine work.