Which airbrush

I have both a Badger 200 single action airbrush which is siphon fed and a Sparmax 4 double action gravity fed brush with an inbuilt paint cup. Of the two I prefer the Sparmax because there is a lot less to clean! 

The Sparmax is also clever in that you can configure it to act a as single action airbrush. However, as I also spray the odd RC model aircraft then the Badger is the one to use because it can hold a lot more paint.

To my somewhat untrained eye as an infrequent sprayer the quality of the finish is the same.

HTH

idd

I have a Sparmax 3 (different nozzle size to the 4) that I have been enjoying, it feels like a good value choice before you come across the very expensive brushes. Just gotta be careful of the nozzle because it will break incredibly easily with the spanner.

• RMweb Gold

I think you'll get as many suggestions as responses on here. I've got a Harder & Steenbeck Silverline as my posh airbrush. I also use the cheap Chinese one that came with my compressor. they both give good results. The H&S is much easier to clean and feels nicer to use, but as far as the end result on wagons, both do the job well. It all depends on your budget really.

• RMweb Premium

I've got a couple of Sparmax brushes, one with a trigger and the other with the more conventional push-button method of operation. I've been very pleased with both. If you're only going to using the brush for wagons you won't want a particularly fine nozzle.

Have you got a compressor? If not you'll need one. Many compressors costing less than £100 are sold together with a couple of cheap airbrushes and these airbrushes can often give perfectly adequate results.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Torper said:

Have you got a compressor? If not you'll need one. Many compressors costing less than £100 are sold together with a couple of cheap airbrushes and these airbrushes can often give perfectly adequate results.

They can be variable. If you get a good one, then great. If you get a poor one, then spares may not be the easiest to get hold of.

But they cost barely any more than just the compressor & you will learn a lot about what you want from an airbrush.

Knowing what I know now, this is definitely the path I would recommend.

On 27/01/2024 at 14:16, idd15 said:

I have both a Badger 200 single action airbrush which is siphon fed and a Sparmax 4 double action gravity fed brush with an inbuilt paint cup. Of the two I prefer the Sparmax because there is a lot less to clean! 

I started with a Badger 200 & upgraded to an Iwata Revolution. The Iwata feels nice to use & is easier to clean, but the Badger gave perfectly good results whether for re-spraying stock or fine, light weathering. The limit with my setup is the user.

• Agree 1

I dithered about getting an airbrush until my daughter bought me a cheap Timbertech kit as a birthday present (usual disclaimer). It is said an ounce of practice is worth a ton of theory and that certainly proved to be the case here. My normal instinct would have been to avoid this type of cheapo solution but using this has de-mystified airbrushes and airbrushing far more than endless reading. Yes it probably won’t last a lifetime and spares might be unobtainable if it breaks. I might upgrade anyway as my experience grows. Whatever I feel much more confident now about spending three figures on quality kit.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I started with a cheap generic one which worked ok but didn’t last very well (clumsy cleaning). I upgraded to a Neo for Iwata - when they were significantly cheaper than they are now! I did that because spares were available and that also meant I could buy a second needle and nozzle etc at a different size for different jobs

• RMweb Premium

Airbrush prices seem to have increased substantially since I last bought one!  That being the case, the Sparmax Max3 seems particularly good value at between £60 and £70.  It's a quality brush, with readily available and reasonably priced spares - check out the online reviews.  If you prefer a pistol-grip trigger airbrush, then try the Sparmax GP-35 - it's the first airbrush I owned is still going strong, but is a bit more expensive at about £100.

Sparmax have been making compressors for decades and supply Iwata with components for their compressors.  Clearly there has long been collaboration between Iwata in Japan and Sparmax in Taiwan and indeed a few years ago the two co-operated to form a new company, the Anest Iwata Sparmax Co Ltd., based in Taiwan and Sparmax brushes continue to be manufactured there while Iwata airbrushes continue to be made in Japan..

• Informative/Useful 1

I got the cheapo Chinese airbrush/compressor combo from Amazon. I've been using it pretty regularly for two years now it's been great. I had some teething issues with it at first with clogs, despite my best efforts to meticulously clean it out after each color used. The game changer came when I stopped trying to run straight IPA through it and got some Iwata Airbrush Cleaner instead. Run a few squirts of that through the brush after each color and I've had no flow problems since.

• Informative/Useful 1

35 years ago I bought a Badger 150 dual action, which has a detachable bottom feed cup or jar for the paint. I am still using it after painting well over 1600 locos and coaches in 4 & 7 mm scales. In that time it has had two new heads and needles but the internal seals have never been replaced. It is easy to clean and strips down to all its component parts without fuss.

You get what you pay for. I would suggest you get a mid-range dual action air brush from a named manufacturer, avoid unbranded Chinese airbrushes or any bundled up with a compressor. 

Ian R

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

My experience going from a cheapo setup to something more mainstream is focus on the compressor first. I now have a better spearmax one that's way better than my original cheapo giving me better spraying results. 

The most important thing I have is to have a constant air supply that you can vary pressure. I find every mix of paint I do I need to subtly change air pressure to get the paint to flow as I want.

The cheap Chinese airbrushes work well to start with but tend to wear out quickly. But to get u started and have a practice they're fine. I currently use a Neo and a H&S brush now and plan on sticking with these two.

All I'll say is airbrushing has transformed my enjoyment of modelling. I also keep re-reading George Dents book on airbrushing which is a great manual on the subject. Well worth a read before buying anything first.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

.... I also keep re-reading George Dents book on airbrushing which is a great manual on the subject. Well worth a read before buying anything first.

What's the title to that book?

Back to the topic at hand:   I recently purchased https://spraygunner.com/holiday-gift-ideas/gifts-for-kids/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-290/    Apparently it is built in the same factory as the Iwata.   I like the trigger.    I will likely buy a larger cup for it.   I'll see, as I try to paint my 7mm six wheel coaches.   I have failed to get enamels to work in either my Iwata or Mr Airbrush.   I have successfully sprayed lacquer with a smooth finish.    For $100 I think I did well.

10 hours ago, bluestag said:

Back to the topic at hand:   I recently purchased https://spraygunner.com/holiday-gift-ideas/gifts-for-kids/gsi-creos-mr-airbrush-procon-boy-ps-290/    Apparently it is built in the same factory as the Iwata.   I like the trigger.    I will likely buy a larger cup for it.   I'll see, as I try to paint my 7mm six wheel coaches.   I have failed to get enamels to work in either my Iwata or Mr Airbrush.   I have successfully sprayed lacquer with a smooth finish.    For $100 I think I did well.

I'm sure if you post about your enamel spraying someone will be able to help. 

I’ve used Iwata airbrushes for the last 20 years and never had any problem spraying any modellers paint type. Coupled to a decent compressor l would recommend Iwata to the OP. 

• Agree 1