RMweb

GWR Dia. O18 5-Plank Open Wagon from Rapido

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Premium

A step change in GWR open wagon design occurred in 1902 when a fifth plank was added to its four-plank design. The five-plank became the GWR’s standard wagon design and, essentially, variations on the post-1904 version with a 3ft 3in deep and 8ft body continued to be built well into the 1940s.

O18-GWR-25-34004-1024x680.jpg

Much like their predecessors, the Diagram O18s have a 10t carrying capacity (later built as 12t) and use a 16ft underframe with GWR self-contained buffers. The only difference was on the drop-side door. Unlike the O11 and O15 which had a flat door, the O18 featured a tapered foot drop door with the bottom plank of the door set at an angle along with adjustments to the metalwork. This feature became standard on many of the later GWR open wagon designs. In later life, many of the original 10t wagons were up-rated to 12 or even 13 tons.

DSCN7067-1024x768.jpg

The GWR built 2850 O18s ‘Open A’ wagons between 1914-1924. As records are few and far between, it’s not known exactly when the last of these wagons were withdrawn as they slowly disappeared over the years, but they lasted well into BR days. A batch of O18s was also built for the Rhymney Railway and delivered complete with their own lettering – these were identical, except they were provided without the sheet rail. Many wagons were sold out of service into private railway companies including the Port of Bristol Authority, Port of London Authority and Manchester Ship Canal. Thankfully, several O18 wagons have survived into preservation including examples at the Severn Valley Railway and Bristol Harbour Railway.

GWRWagonsjan2405.jpg.a3cd1525ee883eae2d36ec4f65e9257d.jpg

The O18 5-plank Opens feature full external, internal and underframe details including brass bearings for smooth friction-free running, NEM coupling pockets and a high-quality livery application. A sheet rail comes supplied in the polybag with 2 different mountings allowing it to be posed in the up or down position.

The sample here sits alongside its O11 brethren:

GWRWagonsjan2404.jpg.57b460c409fb12fdc24fb74eb16c4d28.jpg

See the full range here:
https://rapidotrains.co.uk/gwr-dia-o18-5-plank/

971-all-1.jpg.d4f2a71a4a5250e0dc409ef7249b4756.jpg

• Like 13
  • Round of applause 4

• RMweb Premium

Another "close but not quite" GWR wagon from Rapido. Got my hopes up when the blurb mentioned 1902, shame it then had to mention 1914 😄

Still, another nice wagon that I'm sure will grace many layouts 👍

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Another "close but not quite" GWR wagon from Rapido. Got my hopes up when the blurb mentioned 1902, shame it then had to mention 1914 😄

The earlier date marking the introduction of diagram O4, the first 5-plank opens, following on from diagram O5, the last 4-plank wagons. That's something that has long bothered my tidy mind!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice choice of prototype Corbs. I've been slacking in building up my fleet of GWR opens, I have a disproportionate amount of vans, and wagons from other regions, so a couple of these will be a welcome addition.

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/01/2024 at 13:35, Dungrange said:

How many were produced for the Rhymney Railway? I don't really need another GWR wagon! 

Only 35 where built for the Rhymney.  According to information that I've been given from the GWR wagon registers their RR numbers were:

47, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 61, 62, 76, 273, 274, 275, 276, 279, 286, 292, 294, 328, 345, 358, 364, 381, 389, 392, 397, 407, 416, 423, 428, 433, 438, 439, 443, 459, 463.  BUT notice that Rapido have used a number that is not in that list.  @RapidoCorbs  So maybe they've got different information they would like to share.

Below are photographs (taken by John Lewis for me) of the RR and GWR Minute books regarding these and other wagons bought from the GWR

RRMin6March1921.jpg

GWRMin9June1921.jpg

at little more information about the van is on my website: https://penrhos.me.uk/RRVans.shtml

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Penrhos1920 said:

Only 35 where built for the Rhymney.  According to information that I've been given from the GWR wagon registers their RR numbers were:

47, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 61, 62, 76, 273, 274, 275, 276, 279, 286, 292, 294, 328, 345, 358, 364, 381, 389, 392, 397, 407, 416, 423, 428, 433, 438, 439, 443, 459, 463.  BUT notice that Rapido have used a number that is not in that list.  @RapidoCorbs  So maybe they've got different information they would like to share.

Below are photographs (taken by John Lewis for me) of the RR and GWR Minute books regarding these and other wagons bought from the GWR

RRMin6March1921.jpg

GWRMin9June1921.jpg

at little more information about the van is on my website: https://penrhos.me.uk/RRVans.shtml

We need to change the number - likely 294. Unfortunately the article we were referencing had an error in it and someone has flagged this to us.

Excellent reference you have there!

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Incidentally I can vouch for the authenticity of MSC 5918 based on photographic evidence.

This is a 1950s/1960s MSC wagon and livery that would perfectly suit operation with MSC locos of that period (later steam, and diesels such as the Hornby Sentinels).

Mol

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We can't because they are on the chassis mould which is from the O11. The only way this and the N19 are viable is because they share the chassis from the previous run.

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

That's a damn shame the error will be there in perpetuity. I was hoping they were plug in to the chassis so you could do corrected buffers and also do laminated spring buffer versions of the underframe too. Oh well, that's me out on both of them. 🙁

On 09/02/2024 at 07:09, RapidoCorbs said:

... they are on the chassis mould ...

12 hours ago, 57xx said:

... I was hoping they were plug in to the chassis ...

Does 'on the chassis mould' mean they're moulded integrally with the headstock or moulded on the same sprue for plugging in later ??!?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Does 'on the chassis mould' mean they're moulded integrally with the headstock or moulded on the same sprue for plugging in later ??!?

The buffer heads and the 'lip' of the housing plugs into the hole in the rest of the housing (moulded as part of the chassis).

Edited by RapidoCorbs
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Doesn't sound too difficult to fashion a round washer (as the new 'lip') and fit replacement heads. (Although drilling out those self-contained stocks is always very delicate because of the diameter of the shank.)  Or file off the existing head and fit a replacement? Or fit some new Dave Franks ones? Shapeways does new stocks for the self-contained variety.

It's not a deal-breaker for me.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 57xx said:

That's a damn shame the error will be there in perpetuity. I was hoping they were plug in to the chassis so you could do corrected buffers and also do laminated spring buffer versions of the underframe too. Oh well, that's me out on both of them. 🙁

Well - if replacing buffers is a deal-breaker, I have to wonder where the "Modelling" has gone from RMweb!

CJI.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

Doesn't sound too difficult to fashion a round washer (as the new 'lip') and fit replacement heads. (Although drilling out those self-contained stocks is always very delicate because of the diameter of the shank.)  Or file off the existing head and fit a replacement? Or fit some new Dave Franks ones? Shapeways does new stocks for the self-contained variety.

It's not a deal-breaker for me.

Ideally it would be good to be able to replace just the bit of the head that is a separate part rather than the whole buffer - I wonder if there’s a 3D printing expert out there who could fashion a replacement head?

• Informative/Useful 1

9 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

File off the head, drill out 1mm and fit an MJT ( or similar ) head of the desired diameter.

Hmmm, good idea, I guess one of these two could do the job:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2375.php

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2371.php

Though a bit of a tedious faff when you’ve ordered quite a few of the wagons that need this mod!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, BenL said:

Though a bit of a tedious faff when you’ve ordered quite a few of the wagons that need this mod!

If you need quite a few, just be grateful that a reasonably accurate model is being produced.  It would be an even more tedious faff to scratch build them because other companies are overlooked by the ready to run manufacturers.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

If you need quite a few, just be grateful that a reasonably accurate model is being produced.  It would be an even more tedious faff to scratch build them because other companies are overlooked by the ready to run manufacturers.

I’ll decide what I’m grateful for, thanks 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, BenL said:

Hmmm, good idea, I guess one of these two could do the job:

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2375.php

https://www.dartcastings.co.uk/mjt/2371.php

"Tedious faff", otherwise known as fulfilling modelling, is what most of us are doing it for.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1