Brick Bond ID

Using that as a replacement for the piers will also make the underfloor void a haven for rats, reduce through ventilation thus increasing dampness of the floor timbers, and so would be unlikely to be used for a number of practical reasons.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Pint of Adnams said:

Using that as a replacement for the piers will also make the underfloor void a haven for rats, reduce through ventilation thus increasing dampness of the floor timbers, and so would be unlikely to be used for a number of practical reasons.

I'm sure I have seen it on the prototype* which was where my thinking came from.  I don't think it actually was a pre-fab concrete store of this kind but a similar building on the prototype.  It was my understanding that the gaps in the brickwork aided, not abated, airflow under the floor 🤷  If you look through Southern Nouveau, there are several of these stores, and similar, with solid (no air gaps) infill between the piers.

*Possibly one of the trader's stores at Sidmouth?  I will have to look through my library and find it.

Edited by Tim Dubya

My house is built in what was a low lying meadow. It has a 'raft' style floor. Ie a concrete floor which 'floats' in the damp soil, then 3 feet above that is the timber floor. Supporting the floor joists and the internal, brick walls is a series of walls like op describes. There are also air bricks in the outside walls, which must not be sealed. Amazingly in the '90s somebody changed out the heating system and installed lots of pipes in this void. There are two hatches to gain access. They knocked man sized holes in these walls to gain access to the various areas under the kitchen, hall, dining room  etc. So these walls now look like giant Swiss cheeses, but they still hold up some very large walls, and allow (even more) ventilation

• RMweb Gold

I am assuming that the “perforated” walls in the sub-floor void that support the internal walls are more than one brick course thick.  Even so knocking large holes in bearing walls is a risky prospect - especially at foundation level where the vertical load is greatest.  Solid brick walls should be able to “arch” over man-sized holes but I am not sure this “arching” effect would be quite as adequate in a perforated brickwork wall.  If there is cracking apparent in the walls above then there may be problems.  

Darius

• RMweb Gold

For the vented supported walls on the Hawkhurst provider store I used Slaters Femish Bond embossed plastciard glued back to back and punched out the half bricks with a punch made using an old square needle file.

hawkhurstProvenderstore_1.jpg.bf4a332b94377af379bc087d96aa5a23.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

For the vented supported walls on the Hawkhurst provider store I used Slaters Femish Bond embossed plastciard glued back to back and punched out the half bricks with a punch made using an old square needle file.

hawkhurstProvenderstore_1.jpg.bf4a332b94377af379bc087d96aa5a23.jpg

Top tip, thanks 👍

On 08/02/2024 at 07:17, fulton said:

The OP has not said which scale is required?, or did I miss it. hats off to  Darius43 for the work above, yes therapeutic laying bricks, model and the real thing, have used Scale Model Scenery 4mm laser cut bricks to make this load. Where would this bond be used? I assume to allow ventilation, to relive wind pressure or something like a compost heap that requires air. 

IMG_0681 (2).JPG

Those uses you have mentioned.

Additinally can be used for their aesthetic quality.

PerforatedBrickFacade2.jpg.bf2098acf3e8022cd409f1608b434277.jpg

PerforatedBrickFacade3.jpg.b8d736dffc77b4c5b06c27c1dcbddaf0.jpg

PerforatedBrickFacade1.jpg.a8590a0bc0a026d199fa43481f7b471e.jpg

Also been used for bin enclosures, both at commercial premises and residential estates for communal bins. Prevents foxes, stray dogs, gulls etc from dragging the spoils around the place whilst also allowing the fermenting smells to dissipate.

Nice modelling btw.

Edited by Damo666
Added images as examples
  • Like 1

On 08/02/2024 at 12:11, Pint of Adnams said:

I agree with the term ‘Hit and Miss’ when constructing a wall enclosure, like @fulton's picture or a refuse enclosure, but it is also used under a raised timber ground floor where ventilation is a necessity to avoid dry rot. In this situation I’ve heard it also referred to as a honeycomb wall.

HoneycombWall2.JPG.dceb88f99fad2883377edfef4162cb71.JPG

In this situation a dwarf wall is built every 1,500mm / 5” to support the floor joists. Internal walls will go down to a foundation and will have a brick vent (air-brick) built to the wall to maintain the cross-flow of air without affecting the structural support.

HoneycombWall.JPG.72938e4e47f2bfdace5d6804472879dd.JPG

Rats aren’t a problem if the external walls to the building (typically a house if you have a raised timber ground floor) go down to foundations, which they should be. If the air bricks are not broken then rats cannot get into the space under the floor,

• Informative/Useful 1