Brick Bond ID

• RMweb Premium

Me again...

Can anyone identify the name of the brick Bond on the illustration below?

BrickBonds2.jpg.c530e220c23509653756c09352b7cf0b.jpg

... and does any manufacturer make this in plastic?

Those of you that have seen my other recent question might know where I'm going with this 😁

Cheers, Dubs 👍

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

Flemish bond

Thanks but it's not that one. The white parts in the illustration are gaps in the brickwork to allow air to flow through. Should have explained that better.👍

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Bucoops said:

Yorkshire bond? Making them bricks go further ;)

Yes I keep forgetting a Yorkshireman is a Scotsman with all the generosity beaten out of him 😜

• Agree 1
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium

After scouring architectural model making pages, I've come to conclusion that what is needed is microstrip and diazepam 😬 (or etching).

• Funny 1

I have also (just) seen it referred to a Hit and Miss Brickwork. One caveat about brick bond names; they are subject to regional variation, especially when a brick has a county or other place name in its title. I've spent more time than I should have done researching the subject. If I was at home using my own PC I could probably tell you the moisture content of a top of the range engineers blue brick along with its maximum compressive loading!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Those injection moulded bricks are nice but a whole wall’s worth could be quite expensive.

A typical UK facing brick is 215mm long by 65mm high by 102.5mm deep.  In OO (1/76) that scales to 2.8mm x 0.9mm x 1.4mm.  Let’s call that 3mm x 1mm x 1.5mm to make things easy.  

You can thus make your own bricks from 1mm thick plasticard - which allows for the thickness of the horizontal mortar bond between brick courses.

I tried this out myself just now:-

IMG_1947.jpeg.bfbf4e1e72a96ef21ea527222fe76878.jpeg

IMG_1948.jpeg.656089329f0946ee57146bdfe8284bac.jpeg

IMG_1949.jpeg.9a52226de5d1a8bb4df70f5f9270a4b8.jpeg

IMG_1950.jpeg.022522212e195227effdeda8379144a5.jpeg

IMG_1951.jpeg.ce9515f46bd5fcaa75e5837906a35a3e.jpeg

IMG_1952.jpeg.2aaaf515c7afcf87ca65063e2db3c76e.jpeg

Laying OO gauge bricks is quite therapeutic as long as it’s a small screen wall.  For anything larger I think 3D printing is the best way forward if only to preserve your sanity.

Cheers

Darius

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

The OP has not said which scale is required?, or did I miss it. hats off to  Darius43 for the work above, yes therapeutic laying bricks, model and the real thing, have used Scale Model Scenery 4mm laser cut bricks to make this load. Where would this bond be used? I assume to allow ventilation, to relive wind pressure or something like a compost heap that requires air. 

IMG_0681 (2).JPG

• Like 6

It is (or was) quite common for supporting walls under ground floor joists, it allows ventilation as you suggest. 

The Formcraft bricks I linked to would be very expensive for anything other than a small wall, but Tim hasn't said what he's up to !

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the suggestions and top tips guys, the idea is for a wall of these to go under the 4mm ratio provender store, either in between the building's legs or as a part of or a complete replacement for those supplied with the kit.

Ratio513.jpeg.66f0310f8c25e401defa9bcb5bcf6d6e.jpeg

Cheers, Dubs.

Edited by Tim Dubya
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That type of wall construction would be ok as an infill between the store support piers but would not be strong enough itself to support the store in place of the piers.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1