Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It's been a long day, so I'm off to bed. First though, a big blue noisy thing.

attachicon.gif538 and deltic.jpg

60538 is just starting away with the Northumbrian, and meets Deltic slowing for the Peterborough stop with its usual mid afernoon Up working. Those signals aren't half difficult to disentangle.

If you nudge Deltic along a couple more inches it'd block out most of the signals...lovely shot, all the same.

David

You will remember the sound of the Deltics? If you were close to the line you didn't just hear them - you felt them - right down in the chest. We lived three miles from the ECML in WGC and could hear the Deltics passing.

I'm not quite convinced by the finish on your blue diesel - might it benefit from a waft of varnish? It was kept pretty clean was it not?

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

^^^

The way the light caught the broadside photo of the Deltic suggested exhaust smoke - an interesting accidental effect. 

Accidental! Accidental :O Oh, alright then, perhaps it was... a bit.or maybe quite a lot. Or even more than that.

• RMweb Premium

No lamps on the Deltic though.

Stewart

They are somewhere Stewart, just waiting to be discovered,  together with the other gubbins that should go on the front.

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Premium

You will remember the sound of the Deltics? If you were close to the line you didn't just hear them - you felt them - right down in the chest. We lived three miles from the ECML in WGC and could hear the Deltics passing.

I'm not quite convinced by the finish on your blue diesel - might it benefit from a waft of varnish? It was kept pretty clean was it n

I'm a bit reluctant to tamper with an NRM limited edition Chaz, that's the problem.

• RMweb Premium

I rode behind Deltics a couple of times and the fumes and noise in Gasworks Tunnel when they left the X were far worse than any Pacific I remember.

Once, whilst staying at a campsite (that is a site for tents not something else you rotters) outside York, probably in summer 1979, the sound of the Deltics accelerating away southbound up the ECML was amazing. Quite spooky in the middle of the night.

Philth 

I'm a bit reluctant to tamper with an NRM limited edition Chaz, that's the problem.

Do you expect to sell it on? Or have you bought it to operate on PN? If the latter then I would argue that, as it's yours to do with as you please and you will undoubtably improve it by making it look less like a model and more like a Deltic, you should go ahead and mess with it.

Somebody once asked me if I would lightly weather his 7mm LMS "crab" (He had seen some of my 7mm weathered stuff). I blithely said "Yes, of course." I went and collected it, got it home and took it out of its box - and gasped. Actually I might have said some naughty words. I was confronted with a really immaculate model, superbly painted in lined black. It took some spheres to start adding weathering. I like to think that I did improve it, certainly the owner was pleased, but the first moves were difficult - the finish was so good - but unconvincingly pristine.

Bull by the horns?

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Last one today is another angle on the meeting of Deltic and B17.

post-98-0-11600900-1469915829_thumb.jpg

It looked much better in monochrome, but I can't figure out how the second coach behind the B17 somehow manages to look as though there is strong light shining on it, when all of the light is in fact coming from the other side.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I rode behind Deltics a couple of times and the fumes and noise in Gasworks Tunnel when they left the X were far worse than any Pacific I remember.

Once, whilst staying at a campsite (that is a site for tents not something else you rotters) outside York, probably in summer 1979, the sound of the Deltics accelerating away southbound up the ECML was amazing. Quite spooky in the middle of the night.

Philth 

Going slightly OT, in December 1981 there was a press launch for the new Mk3 sleepers which among other things involved getting the press completely Brahmsed (not difficult) then sending them from Edinburgh to London on the new stock. The ECS was hauled from Craigentinny to Waverley by one of the last Deltics in service. Passing through Calton Tunnel the loco exhaust set off the smoke detectors in the first three coaches.

G'day Gents

Deltics, were horrible to shunt in and out of Gasworks tunnel, you had to keep opening the windows to see the ground signal behind you, sometimes the tunnel was so thick with smoke/exhaust, you had to wait for it to clear before you could reverse out of the tunnel.

One could always buy a Dapol model and weather that.....................

manna

• RMweb Premium

I have a NRM Deltic. Not DCC fitted (yet). I'd be happy for Gilbert to have that weathered and to 'borrow' it and add his choice of Decoder. I can then borrow it back if I ever need to run something weird on the LSWR west of Axminster.

Phil

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Do you expect to sell it on? Or have you bought it to operate on PN? If the latter then I would argue that, as it's yours to do with as you please and you will undoubtably improve it by making it look less like a model and more like a Deltic, you should go ahead and mess with it.

Somebody once asked me if I would lightly weather his 7mm LMS "crab" (He had seen some of my 7mm weathered stuff). I blithely said "Yes, of course." I went and collected it, got it home and took it out of its box - and gasped. Actually I might have said some naughty words. I was confronted with a really immaculate model, superbly painted in lined black. It took some spheres to start adding weathering. I like to think that I did improve it, certainly the owner was pleased, but the first moves were difficult - the finish was so good - but unconvincingly pristine.

Bull by the horns?

Chaz

I have a problem with Deltic. It shouldn't be there. The real thing didn't arrive on the ECML till 21st Feb 1959 at the earliest, and the M&GN was closed on the 28th. I'm not comfortable with that. Yes, I know there are other anomalies on the layout, but in the end it is a question of what I personally can live with, and I increasingly feel that Deltic doesn't quite belong. Of course like so many others I had to have one when it was announced, but I am now questioning my decision, and so it may go. It is for that reason that I don't want to do anything to it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So last night we had a B17 running in to Platform 6. Well, I can never resist pointing the camera at a B17, and even more so when it is framed by that lovely canopy, so here it is.

attachicon.gif1643 1.JPG

Indeed it proved necessary to take another one from a slightly different angle.

attachicon.gif1643 2.JPG

I think I prefer the second, but I'm not sure why.

I have a problem with Deltic. It shouldn't be there. The real thing didn't arrive on the ECML till 21st Feb 1959 at the earliest, and the M&GN was closed on the 28th. I'm not comfortable with that. Yes, I know there are other anomalies on the layout, but in the end it is a question of what I personally can live with, and I increasingly feel that Deltic doesn't quite belong. Of course like so many others I had to have one when it was announced, but I am now questioning my decision, and so it may go. It is for that reason that I don't want to do anything to it.

It's your railway my Lord, run whatever you want.

• RMweb Premium

Re #12097, 12099, that's what really makes this layout so effective - the illusion of length and depth in the photos

I agree but also I have been looking at pics of model railways for VERY many years and Gilbert's shots are the first where I became aware of the length of the boilers on locos!

Somehow they are not so well captured elsewhere.

Syd

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

How about this G? This is an iconic loco as are others that you saw but do not fit your operations.

There are areas within your lovely property that could accommodate some nicely arranged display cases (nothing too huge). Perhaps the prototype Deltic and some others could be accommodated thus, to be admired on occasion and kept as they were obtained?  Just a thought?

Phil