Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the wonderful pictures Gilbert. Fully up to standard.

Now a point if I may. I was watching a DVD today whilst doing the ironing (yes it seems to be my job these days!). The DVD is London's Railways in the 1960s and it has some wonderful footage shot at all the terminii of the Capital. Pure nostalgia! What is really interesting is the the coaches in the films are really brightly coloured . The Maroon ones filmed at Euston and Liverpool Street as well as KX, all seem to be almost crimson as to shade the same as the few remaining crimson and cream ones still about. Your coaches show a similar colour yet often model  maroon ones are produced in a very dark shade. (I cite the MTH and Heljan models as examples as I am a 7mm type). Is it me or have we collectively got it wrong?  Interestingly the blue and grey ones do not come over as bright at all and indeed look worse hence my lack of enthusiasm for those corporate blue years.  The film also shows a number of the blue electrics which look stunning at the head of a maroon coloured train.I was also impressed with the marvellous Metro Cammel Blue Pullman sets. There were a sight which unfortunately I never saw.

Martin Long

I've always thought this photo of Dad's shows some of the possible shades of maroon quite nicely.  I hope no one will mind me posting it even though it's not at Peterborough - but it is on the ECML.

I can't guarantee the actual colours are right (it's from an Agfa slide) but it shows a typical range of shades.

post-5613-0-45209600-1470176105_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

They were an absolute mystery to me, and to my friends, but then we hadn't read any Scott, apart from Ivanhoe. One assumes that in their homeland the characters were better known. Esoteric, maybe, but I agree much better than what got served up subsequently.

I never read any Scott either (and still haven't). I did watch Ivanhoe on the telly though.

As I promised to show pictures and let you decide on their merit, I now offer this.

attachicon.gif4mt.JPG

I know what I think of it.

Nice water crane shot completely ruined by that 'orrible Stanier tank!

Seriously, I think if you are going to have close foreground detail it has to be sharp. IMHO Nothing shouts "model" more than prominent out of focus features.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Nice water crane shot completely ruined by that 'orrible Stanier tank!

Seriously, I think if you are going to have close foreground detail it has to be sharp. IMHO Nothing shouts "model" more than prominent out of focus features.

Chaz

Yes, that out of focus water crane dominates the whole picture, and spoils it completely so far as I'm concerned. I shall try it only once....

• RMweb Premium

OK, maroons. There was 

Stratford maroon;

Donny maroon;

Darlo maroon;

Somewhere in Scotland maroon;

Crewe maroon;

Derby maroon (other Works available);

Swindon maroon;

and even, Eastleigh maroon.

Then there was;

ex works maroon;

mid service maroon;

end of life maroon;

hard water cleaner maroon;

soft water cleaner maroon;

OMO maroon (Penzance Ponsondane and Wick)

Lincolnshire maroon blah blah blah blah.

There were also some other places but I CBA to look them up and I suspect the main works painted the Contractor built stock anyway.

Now we have Halfords Burgundy Red and some other stuff.

Ar$e

Edit: forgot York maroon.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

OK, maroons. There was 

Stratford maroon;

Donny maroon;

Darlo maroon;

Somewhere in Scotland maroon;

Crewe maroon;

Derby maroon (other Works available);

Swindon maroon;

and even, Eastleigh maroon.

Then there was;

ex works maroon;

mid service maroon;

end of life maroon;

hard water cleaner maroon;

soft water cleaner maroon;

OMO maroon (Penzance Ponsondane and Wick)

Lincolnshire maroon blah blah blah blah.

There were also some other places but I CBA to look them up and I suspect the main works painted the Contractor built stock anyway.

Now we have Halfords Burgundy Red and some other stuff.

Ar$e

Derby maroon?

Crimson lake dear fellow. :sungum: :sungum:

​Turning the pages of the thread back a bit (and I can't be bothered to do it) there was a discussion on that "new" Eastern Counties bus. I added to this by stating the EFE model purports to be one bought 2nd hand from Eastern National if you remember.

Well the good news is, of the original small ECOC batch, I have found a photo on the net of WPW631 in Peterborough bus station (the old one). So, a quick repaint into the correct shade of Tilling Red, and addition of the correct numberplates, and your bus is correct!

If I can be good enough to get mine done, I'll post a pic, but in the meantime I must finish your double decker for the bridge.....

Stewart 

• RMweb Gold

I might be barred from this thread for suggesting it, but on the topic of era creep I rather like the idea of seeing a full length HST running through PN. I always thought David Jenkinson's "funny trains" added a bit of fun on his various layouts.

And with that piece of sacrilege, I will withdraw quietly.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

​Turning the pages of the thread back a bit (and I can't be bothered to do it) there was a discussion on that "new" Eastern Counties bus. I added to this by stating the EFE model purports to be one bought 2nd hand from Eastern National if you remember.

Well the good news is, of the original small ECOC batch, I have found a photo on the net of WPW631 in Peterborough bus station (the old one). So, a quick repaint into the correct shade of Tilling Red, and addition of the correct numberplates, and your bus is correct!

If I can be good enough to get mine done, I'll post a pic, but in the meantime I must finish your double decker for the bridge.....

Stewart 

Thanks Stewart, I will gladly do that, but perhaps you could help me further by pointing me in the right direction to get the paint, and presumably some transfers?

• RMweb Premium

I might be barred from this thread for suggesting it, but on the topic of era creep I rather like the idea of seeing a full length HST running through PN. I always thought David Jenkinson's "funny trains" added a bit of fun on his various layouts.

And with that piece of sacrilege, I will withdraw quietly.

Ah yes, I've often thought about "funny trains", a perfect excuse for more locoholism. Should I ever reach the point where there is no more money needed for things essential for 1958 I may well go down that route. As to the HST suggestion, well I quite like them, as they can be seen as the natural progression from Pacific, through Deltics and onward. I have no access to one though, and I'm bound to say that any funny trains would extend the timeline in the opposite direction.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

And now to another photograph, as a 1958 HST plunges under the roof, filling any small boys at the South end with hope, Kingfisher perhaps? We already know that hopes will be dashed, as they almost invariably were.

post-98-0-17096800-1470248904_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

HSTs are OK but wasn't the track reconfigured or something before they started thundering around the place? I also think most of the station had been demolished. Good grief, carnage at PN just for a 125.........................new layout required.

Philth

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

HSTs are OK but wasn't the track reconfigured or something before they started thundering around the place? I also think most of the station had been demolished. Good grief, carnage at PN just for a 125.........................new layout required.

Philth

Yes, most of the old had gone by the time HST came in, but I think the suggestion was that one should appear 20 odd years early. I can't imagine much more boring than a model of the "new" station.

• RMweb Premium

I've always thought this photo of Dad's shows some of the possible shades of maroon quite nicely.  I hope no one will mind me posting it even though it's not at Peterborough - but it is on the ECML.

I can't guarantee the actual colours are right (it's from an Agfa slide) but it shows a typical range of shades.

attachicon.gifPilmoor Class 40 D278 Paignton to Newcastle travelling on up fast line August 67 J1063.jpg

David

Cracking photo which illustrates the point perfectly - lovely set of coaches (with some proper motive power at the front too...!)  If you tried sending round a train like that at exhibitions you'd get some tutting...

David

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm having to get up early lately, as I'm having the exterior of the house decorated, and the dear chap insists on getting here by 0800. :O  So here I am, showered and breakfasted and ready to get on with things. I might even go and see what the light conditions are in the railway room before the sun has got far enough round to shine directly in. On the other hand I might sit down and have a cup of tea. Before doing either, here are a couple more shots of happenings at the North end.

post-98-0-59571300-1470296266_thumb.jpg

The Stanier tank has taken over the Ely - Birmingham, and is now leaving, while the Ivatt waits for its turn to head off to Kings Lynn. The M&GN trains are all shorter distances now, the last Yarmouth left early in the afternoon.

post-98-0-55087300-1470296500_thumb.jpg

Moving to the left we get a closer view of the 4MT, and can see that the 3.58pm to Grantham is now at Platform 3. Doesn't gloss paint smell horrible?

• Like 17