Peterborough North

great northern

I'd never noticed that before - those steel carriages have a toplight over the door, just like Gresley's GN stock, rather than a vent. I wonder why they made that change? I can't think of any other LNER built Gresley stock which had that feature (cue a long list of those which did....)

• RMweb Gold

I'd never noticed that before - those steel carriages have a toplight over the door, just like Gresley's GN stock, rather than a vent. I wonder why they made that change? I can't think of any other LNER built Gresley stock which had that feature (cue a long list of those which did....)

The only others were the non corridors with steel sides from the same era. I also don't know why the top lights over the door droplights were used on those carriages. All very mysterious! The books I have, and other reference material gives no information whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

The only others were the non corridors with steel sides from the same era. I also don't know why the top lights over the door droplights were used on those carriages. All very mysterious! The books I have, and other reference material gives no information whatsoever.

Best regards,

Rob.

The Tourist Stock coaches also had toplights in the doors.  Can't imagine why though, except that they also didn't have teak sides (plywood in this case) and maybe the usual ventilators and hoods couldn't be fitted for some reason?

Another shot of 60504, showing the full length of the loco.

attachicon.gif504 2 - Copy.jpg

I'm increasingly appreciating these rebuilds now. Impressive in an unorthodox and rather ungainly sort of way.

Just one thing, the emblem on the tender is the wrong way round. On the driver's side the newer style always faced the front, the fireman's side originally faced the front then changed to be the same as per the driver's side (i.e. faced to the rear). Still looks a lovely job.

Interesting that prototypically it is one of the locos still with the original boiler (the firebox correctly doesn't extend past the curve in the running plate) and without the cut back cab. DJH or PDK kit?

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, 31A. I forgot about the Tourist stock! The later sets had metal bodywork, so I don't know what was going on with the top lights!

With regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Just one thing, the emblem on the tender is the wrong way round. On the driver's side the newer style always faced the front, the fireman's side originally faced the front then changed to be the same as per the driver's side (i.e. faced to the rear). Still looks a lovely job.

Interesting that prototypically it is one of the locos still with the original boiler (the firebox correctly doesn't extend past the curve in the running plate) and without the cut back cab. DJH or PDK kit?

DJH Graham, and the builder did indeed make a mistake with that emblem, which I didn't notice until Tony Wright, who else?, pointed it out. The question then was whether it bothered me so much that I was prepared to start removing and replacing. I decided it didn't bother me enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It's an odd thing, but I hated Thompson pacifics for years. Now I'm beginning to find they have a modern (for the era) 'leaning into it' sort of look.  Middle age I suppose!

Yes, they are growing on me too, but it isn't middle age in my case.

• RMweb Premium

Thank you, 31A. I forgot about the Tourist stock! The later sets had metal bodywork, so I don't know what was going on with the top lights!

With regards,

Rob.

Lest I appear smug, I had forgotten as well until I started looking in books for pictures of the steel bodied twins (having also not realised they had top lights) and came across pictures of the Tourist Stock as well!

• RMweb Premium

On the "Thompson Pacific look", back in 1947 Odhams published a book "The Worlds Railways and how they work" including this picture, I'm sorry about the poor quality, it's printed on grey paper. The number, if you can't make it out, is 3698. If you were an eleven year old boy living on the western side of the country, the effect was "WOW!"

post-26540-0-25182000-1469456054_thumb.jpeg

As there was a "Drake" on the same page, I thought "should I indulge him?" well....

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Aberration. Say no more, and pass on hurriedly to this evening's photos.

post-98-0-84873400-1469484258_thumb.jpg

We haven't had much black and white for a while.

post-98-0-20992800-1469484313_thumb.jpg

And this is a new angle.62613 is reversing out of the old engine shed yard, and will move down to back onto the coaches in the Up bay. Clauds really are very handsome locos. I wonder if I need another?

• Like 18

Aberration. Say no more, and pass on hurriedly to this evening's photos.

attachicon.gifV2 leaving 2.JPG

We haven't had much black and white for a while.

attachicon.gif2613 reversing.JPG

And this is a new angle.62613 is reversing out of the old engine shed yard, and will move down to back onto the coaches in the Up bay. Clauds really are very handsome locos. I wonder if I need another?

You don't NEED any Clauds. It is a MUST HAVE situation. GE section loco after all.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I thought you said the Thompson Pacifics were starting to grow on You. ;).

(Ted sneaks off to naughty corner)!!

Shhhhhhhh.....G means the game with little balls................................Shhhhhhhhhh!

post-2326-0-03284300-1469519684.jpg

In no way was he commenting on Nelsons.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Of course, gentlemen, you are correct that one cannot have too many Clauds. The problem is that short sighted philistines had withdrawn most of them by my period, so I don't have many to choose from. Most inconveniently, the remaining ones at March which I don't already have retained the decorative valances, so the Hornby model is not appropriate.

Looking through the books to establish this though did remind me that I have already slightly warped history by moving 62613 to Spital Bridge in 1958, when this didn't actually occur till April 1959, outside my time frame. My ability to cheat therefore already exists, and that acknowledgment, together with Jonathan's comment, may well tip the balance. I really do not like to be rude, or not knowingly anyway.

• RMweb Premium

And so to the last two pictures from last week's shoot, which reminds me that I had better go and take some more.

post-98-0-33695400-1469529961_thumb.jpg

62613 is now ready for its one mile journey.

post-98-0-15215300-1469530028_thumb.jpg

While the C12 sits in the other Up bay,waiting for something to do.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Hi Gilbert

What you need to cure your obsession with Claud is a nice Brush type 2, a wonderful replacement as British Railways found out. 

Wot! :O  Skinheads :scared:  Not having any of them on my layout, threatening and upsetting the passengers.

Wot! :O  Skinheads :scared:  Not having any of them on my layout, threatening and upsetting the passengers.

Lucky, then, that they are out of period for your layout!   Didn't the early batch of 20 pilot scheme machines go the GE section in late '57? So you are safe - the production series locos were delivered from '59 to the GN (I believe). Of course it does rather depend on how strict you are about time....

I never liked 'em much when I was a spotter but I do like my 7mm model....

P1040743-Edit%20700%20x%20514_zpsrhdi7r1

...so I invoked Rule One.....

Chaz

Edited by chaz
  • Like 10