RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Oh my.  Oh my oh my........that close up of the B17.....I'm getting to like the damn things!  That's a lovely shot, and the finish on the loco is really superb, 'oily rag' looking. Doubleplusgood.

Handsome, however there is a more handsome B17

post-2326-0-08367400-1470775762_thumb.jpg

Yanky Doodledandy Jnr. the 3rd..

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Having just witnessed a B17 hauled train to Harwich, we now see a B17 hauled train from, er, Harwich.  This loco is kit built and getting on for twenty years old, and I think is soundly beaten by the Hornby locos.

post-98-0-56760300-1470777991_thumb.jpg

You may have noticed that if I can get away without photoshopping an image I always do, and post it however lacking in merit it may be. I like the next one rather more though.

post-98-0-25952900-1470778118_thumb.jpg

Much too heavy at the front end though. The loco, that is.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Much too heavy at the front end though. The loco, that is.

Do you mean the model or the real thing? I just bought a Hornby one after seeing yours so as yet I know nothing about them<G>

Syd

• RMweb Premium

PC still very slow, so again I can only post one image.

post-98-0-59866800-1470904857_thumb.jpg

And it is one that will get a signalman the sack. The A1 has the road with an Up Harrogate express, so why is the signal off for the WD to cross into New England yards?  Fortunately the driver of the WD has assessed the situation and has stopped. Makes a nice picture though.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

That's because its an oop North Castle. They don't bother with fripperies like that up there.

Ah, the Austerity version then.

Back to reality to say the WD Austerity class was also known as the 07 by the LNER for those locomotives purchased by them immediately post war. There is but one survivor out of 930+ built and that was originally exported new to Sweden. Works no 5200 built by Vulcan Engineering (in 1945 I suspect) now resides on the KWVR and bears an imaginary BR number of 90733.

• Like 1

PC still very slow, so again I can only post one image.

attachicon.gifWD and A1 1.JPG

And it is one that will get a signalman the sack. The A1 has the road with an Up Harrogate express, so why is the signal off for the WD to cross into New England yards?  Fortunately the driver of the WD has assessed the situation and has stopped. Makes a nice picture though.

It's not the signalman who needs sacking - someone in the S&T dept. needs a damn good kicking. The interlocking has clearly failed and a bad smash has only been averted by a driver's vigilance. The pending enquiry should find the guilty party.

• RMweb Premium

Ungainly machine! I prefer a B17 anyday (ducks quickly behind nearest furniture).

There are no Ducks behind the nearest furniture as far as I can see from here.................................(hunkers down behind the Moated Wooden House).

P

• RMweb Premium

I was about to say that watching paint dry is about as interesting and quick as using my PC at the moment, but I've been doing that for days, and it isn't. One more image today, and hopefully I might get something done to cure the ****** thing tomorrow. I suspect hitting it with a big hammer, though momentarily satisfying, would not help much.

post-98-0-22846100-1470950497_thumb.jpg

A better view of Great Central, and the WD driver is still waiting.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

It's not the signalman who needs sacking - someone in the S&T dept. needs a damn good kicking. The interlocking has clearly failed and a bad smash has only been averted by a driver's vigilance. The pending enquiry should find the guilty party.

The enquiry has now taken place. The layout owner was found to be responsible, as he failed to install any form of interlocking. He attempted to slap his own wrist as a suitable penalty, but missed.

The enquiry has now taken place. The layout owner was found to be responsible, as he failed to install any form of interlocking. He attempted to slap his own wrist as a suitable penalty, but missed.

We now come to selecting a suitable punishment - I suggest weathering the ballast on the layout, using an 00 sable. Start now!

• Like 1

Love the A1 at rest. What compact and powerful machines they looked, in contrast to Mr Thompson's galloping sausages. That unfitted brake van on the down line is a good element in the composition.

Just one thing that strikes me (and I think you are aware of it as well) is the lack of any colour difference between the area of plain ground in front of the camera and the ballast in the four foot and six foot areas.

The four foot, particularly where locos stand for a while, was often black, wet, greasy, oily, ashy etc. The chance for a very nice piece of weathering? The colour albums are full of pictures of locos standing in platforms in such areas and the four foot is often visible in shot.

Another point to consider is litter - would the Herberts with brooms have collected their sweepings or would they have brushed them off the platform edge?

A squalid little corner on Dock Green.....

P1030060600x450_zps4a9ff498.jpg

This is 7mm, your litter would need to be smaller but there might still be old newspapers etc which would be larger enough to model. Even in 7mm I didn't try to do cigarette butts.

Chaz

• Like 3