RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

I can't help noticing that your W1 is still sporting assymetric lamp-irons. It is a nice loco' to have in your collection - "the un-named streak" as we used to call it. Presumably its non-standard nature caused its early demise?  Didn't it come a cropper at Peterboro'?

Whoever wields the broom at PN has made a brilliant job of keeping platform 6 spick and span.

A spectacular rail crash involving W1 class 60700 occurred on the 1st September 1955 on the New England side of Westwood Bridge, it was caused by a bogie frame failure. Amazingly the derailment only resulted in 5 injuries rather than fatalities.

The 3.50pm Kings Cross to Leeds passenger train was leaving Peterborough North Station at just after 5.20 pm when its front bogie frame broke. The locomotive derailed with its two front coaches falling onto their sides. Fortunately, the train had only reached 20mph and the low speed was cited as the reason why there were no deaths.

The nearby Baker Perkins’ works fire brigade and ambulance volunteers turned out to the emergency. They cut a hole in the lineside fence through which ladders and blankets were passed. The passengers were provided with tea in the works canteen. Remarkably, the track was cleared and the main line was open to traffic by 9.20am the next day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can't help noticing that your W1 is still sporting assymetric lamp-irons. It is a nice loco' to have in your collection - "the un-named streak" as we used to call it. Presumably its non-standard nature caused its early demise?  Didn't it come a cropper at Peterboro'?

Whoever wields the broom at PN has made a brilliant job of keeping platform 6 spick and span.

I have a real problem with lamp irons.I'm afraid. I think I have got them right, but time and again the camera proves otherwise. When Tim next visits we are going to get proper irons put on as many engines as possible, and it may then be easier to secure them correctly and at a consistent height. Tim may also be able to drill out these lovely little lamps - try as I may, I haven't succeeded yet.

The W1 did indeed come a cropper at Peterborough, but it survived that experience and carried on until 1959. I think you are right that it was being one of a kind that got it condemned then. As to the clean platform, we are back to the old problem that debris just doesn't look right on camera. I know it is too bare, but what to do? My views on model figures are well known, and photographs rarely show platform barrows over there.

• Like 1

I have a real problem with lamp irons.I'm afraid. I think I have got them right, but time and again the camera proves otherwise. When Tim next visits we are going to get proper irons put on as many engines as possible, and it may then be easier to secure them correctly and at a consistent height. Tim may also be able to drill out these lovely little lamps - try as I may, I haven't succeeded yet.

The W1 did indeed come a cropper at Peterborough, but it survived that experience and carried on until 1959. I think you are right that it was being one of a kind that got it condemned then. As to the clean platform, we are back to the old problem that debris just doesn't look right on camera. I know it is too bare, but what to do? My views on model figures are well known, and photographs rarely show platform barrows over there.

"I have a real problem with lamp irons.I'm afraid."   Hope you don't feel got at? I promise I won't mention it again.

"As to the clean platform, we are back to the old problem that debris just doesn't look right on camera."   Joints and repairs in the surface? Some subtle changes in colour? A few weeds and grass tufts against the wall?  Dare I mention paper etc?

• RMweb Premium

"I have a real problem with lamp irons.I'm afraid."   Hope you don't feel got at? I promise I won't mention it again.

"As to the clean platform, we are back to the old problem that debris just doesn't look right on camera."   Joints and repairs in the surface? Some subtle changes in colour? A few weeds and grass tufts against the wall?  Dare I mention paper etc?

I'm not going to complain if dodgy lamp irons are mentioned. I wince when I see them, resolve to do something about it, and don't.

As to the platform, yes that kind of stuff is on the to do list, along with a very long list of others. You are right though, and I'll try to bump it up the list a bit.

• Like 1

I'm not going to complain if dodgy lamp irons are mentioned. I wince when I see them, resolve to do something about it, and don't.

As to the platform, yes that kind of stuff is on the to do list, along with a very long list of others. You are right though, and I'll try to bump it up the list a bit.

There's no hurry, and I feel a bit unkind mentioning it. With such a large layout you will be revisiting and improving for a long time and it will be a while before you can look at it and say what else can I do?.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe the warmth is affecting the tackiness of the tacky wax.  Gooeywax.....

The greatest use for it is to stick those tiny screws Bachmann use to your screwdriver when re-assembling models!  I'd be lost at work without it.

I have found that if I try to use an implement to get the stuff from container to where it is wanted, it will always stick to the implement rather than the object to be secured. In fairness, if I'm trying to secure a tiny lamp, only a tiny quantity can be used without being visible, and that may be the problem. What I don't want though is to secure lamps permanently, so that certain engines are always limited to working the same trains.

• RMweb Gold

It is not very often you get to see vans being conveyed by a first generation DMU on a model. I have tried it myself, but the van sometimes derails. I think, in my case, it could be the screw couplings that I am using.

With warmest regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Those are pretty fluffy slippers that woman is wearing on the platform.

That's actually her ######## as the elastic went just as the Dub Dee appeared....................................I think someone noticed that two years ago. Wasn't me and I would never post something like that as I am far too polite.

Ar$e

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's actually her ######## as the elastic went just as the Dub Dee appeared....................................I think someone noticed that two years ago. Wasn't me and I would never post something like that as I am far too polite.

Ar$e

Not to be confused with the old tale of the young lady at the races - Doncaster, I suppose, in this thread - who, clearly in a severely nervous state , asked another lady "Please - have you, umm, have you got a safety pin?" At that moment the crowd roared "They're off!" and she fainted. 

Good no doubt it is to have the 4F appear - it injects some variety into the scene and, I am sure, reflects a past reality  - but I can't love it. (nicely weathered though)

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Good no doubt it is to have the 4F appear - it injects some variety into the scene and, I am sure, reflects a past reality  - but I can't love it. (nicely weathered though)

Chaz

Several of them were shedded at Spital Bridge, and I have quite a lot of photos of them on these Leicester trains, so yes, it reflects reality. It's a very nice model too, and I'm conscious that while a large proportion of all locos were 0.6.0s, that isn't the case on PN, so a few more seem like a good idea.

• RMweb Premium

Ho hum. Sitting here watching the weather forecast for Saturday getting steadily worse. We' ve already had three of our biggest days at the golf club rained off this year, so I hope things change before the weekend. I have plenty to do, so I really should get on. Here are a couple more shots first though.

post-98-0-43462200-1472113424_thumb.jpg

DMU crossing to the Down side before reversing into number 5 bay to wait for its next duty. Meanwhile the C12 has removed the fish van, and is looking for something to do with it.

post-98-0-94839300-1472113551_thumb.jpg

The DMU having cleared, a Top shed Standard 5 wheels a Welwyn Garden City to Colwick Class D along the Down main.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Ho hum. Sitting here watching the weather forecast for Saturday getting steadily worse. We' ve already had three of our biggest days at the golf club rained off this year, so I hope things change before the weekend. I have plenty to do, so I really should get on. Here are a couple more shots first though.

attachicon.gifDMU crossing.JPG

DMU crossing to the Down side before reversing into number 5 bay to wait for its next duty. Meanwhile the C12 has removed the fish van, and is looking for something to do with it.

attachicon.gif73158.JPG

The DMU having cleared, a Top shed Standard 5 wheels a Welwyn Garden City to Colwick Class D along the Down main.

Oops I spy an anachronism - hint, it's on the leading wagon ;)  (and easily dealt with by a spot of paint/grubbying)

• RMweb Premium

Oops I spy an anachronism - hint, it's on the leading wagon ;)  (and easily dealt with by a spot of paint/grubbying)

Yes, Mike, it shouldn't be there at all, as Andy Rush told me ages ago that fruit vans wouldn't have been seen at PN. For that reason, it lives in a secluded siding and rarely ventures forth. This train is one of those I have to make up from spurs though, and I needed a barrier vehicle. The only one I could find with a kadee/tension lock combination, and doing nothing, was this one. I should have some more barrier wagons shortly, when this one will be retired. My only excuse this time is that I was in a hurry.