Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It's really nice to hear from people who saw the real thing! One thing that intrigues me from your memories is this. Were there any elephants? I could try to recreate that. Does anyone do a kit for an elephant van?

I remember as a child seeing the elephants in a circus train stabled at Southampton Terminus. This would have been very late 50s or early 60s.

Time for more photos, but somehow we seem to have missed the elephants, if of course there were any. :jester:

Here is a study in Gresley front ends.

front ends.JPG

Sir Murrough is waiting to take over an incoming express, but not this one. It 's the next one, the 2.00pm Newcastle, brought in by a very shiny Lord Faringdon.

34.JPG

Isn't 60002 too clean? Edited by davidw

• RMweb Premium

I have seen some film recently of elephants being loaded onto a train in York, but can't find it now!  Anyway, here's a picture:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Liverpool%20Street&objid=1995-7233_LIVST_PM_183

Despite the caption, St. Botolphs is in Colchester.  It looks like a standard BR GUV in this case, but the railway companies also had vans designed to be able to carry elephants.

I have seen some film recently of elephants being loaded onto a train in York, but can't find it now!  Anyway, here's a picture:

http://www.nrm.org.uk/ourcollection/photo?group=Liverpool%20Street&objid=1995-7233_LIVST_PM_183

Despite the caption, St. Botolphs is in Colchester.  It looks like a standard BR GUV in this case, but the railway companies also had vans designed to be able to carry elephants.

I believe the caption refers to the NRM collection it is in rather than the place where the photo was taken, not always helpful!

Martyn

Yes, I definitely remember elephants. At such a tender age at the time, and with how long ago it was, I can't remember every detail, and took no notice of the stock or loco at the time. Perhaps a search of the the local paper records would unearth a photo. They were the Peterborough standard and the Peterborough Citizen and Advertiser if my memory serves me correctly. Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, I now live about 500 miles to the north of Peterborough, so do not have ready access.

I used to travel from Peterborough North to Nottingham Central changing at Grantham quite often, or if I missed the last train back, from Midland to North changing at Melton Mowbray. Again, though, a long time ago.

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

Yes, I definitely remember elephants. At such a tender age at the time, and with how long ago it was, I can't remember every detail, and took no notice of the stock or loco at the time. Perhaps a search of the the local paper records would unearth a photo. They were the Peterborough standard and the Peterborough Citizen and Advertiser if my memory serves me correctly. Unfortunately, or rather fortunately, I now live about 500 miles to the north of Peterborough, so do not have ready access.

I used to travel from Peterborough North to Nottingham Central changing at Grantham quite often, or if I missed the last train back, from Midland to North changing at Melton Mowbray. Again, though, a long time ago.

Lloyd

I thought there must be Lloyd, as they would be the major attraction of the procession to the circus site. I've no doubt that's why the train came to North, so that the show would pass through part of the City, which wouldn't happen if it had gone to East.

Isn't 60002 too clean?

A Youtube search for "trainspotting at Newcastle Central" will show, about half way in, 60034 looking absolutely filthy. The short video is well worth a look.

Edited by rowanj

A Youtube search for "trainspotting at Newcastle Central" will show, about half way in, 60034 looking absolutely filthy. The short video is well worth a look.

John,

I suspect 60034 would have been  transfered to New England by the date of this video. However thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it is actually more likely that 60034 was at 64A St Margaret's when that film was shot. It was only at  New England for four months, and went North of the border in October 63. The video has a feel of 1964 to me. The photographer has expended quite a bit of film on what look like station pilot workings, plus goods on the avoiding lines. That suggests to me that there were very few big engines on show, just the A4 and one A3, and that on goods. If I remember correctly, a lot of the KX A4s transferred to New England went straight into store, which is not surprising, as there would have been little work for them to do. 34 went on to Aberdeen in May 64, so my money would be on the winter/spring of 63/4.

I think it is actually more likely that 60034 was at 64A St Margaret's when that film was shot. It was only at  New England for four months, and went North of the border in October 63. The video has a feel of 1964 to me. The photographer has expended quite a bit of film on what look like station pilot workings, plus goods on the avoiding lines. That suggests to me that there were very few big engines on show, just the A4 and one A3, and that on goods. If I remember correctly, a lot of the KX A4s transferred to New England went straight into store, which is not surprising, as there would have been little work for them to do. 34 went on to Aberdeen in May 64, so my money would be on the winter/spring of 63/4.

I'd say late '63 Gilbert.

The loco has a streamlined non-corridor tender (acquired in January '63 when Scotsman got hers), and not long into 1964 60034 was on the Aberdeen-Glasgow expresses. 

• RMweb Premium

I believe the caption refers to the NRM collection it is in rather than the place where the photo was taken, not always helpful!

Martyn

Hi Martyn

The station looks like the St Botolphs I knew in Colochester when the army thought it would do me good being there. You can see the terminating OLE above the GUV. 

The SR built some Elephant and Scenery cars for circuses using old coach underframes. The Elephant cars had reinforced floors and the Scenery cars were built with high roofs maximising the loading gauge. Otherwise they looked like bogie SR parcels stock.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Ooooohhh the Claud again!  Going to have to get one.

:offtopic: As an ex-HR Adviser - yes, John, I agree.  It's called management, and if the managers managed, there would be no need for them. / :offtopic:

Except when things change. Whenever I took on a new role it was invaluable to look at the appraisals (I prefer the term performance reviews) made by my predecessor.

This morning I can finally deal with Paul (Fenman)'s request to see the stock of my M&GN service. Here it is, being drawn in from the carriage sidings by the pilot.

A bit late but - thank you! That’s a superb rake. Really lovely. I rarely feel jealous but that has me smitten.

Will you at some point in the timetable be assembling an ex-LMS rake too, for my selfish pleasure?

Paul