Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Nothing done again, so far as the railway is concerned. I'm very tired and weak, so dealing with the golf club whingers leaves me spent. Mind you, they've backed down on Special General meeting having finally realised they weren't going to win, so it's been a good day really.

Image store is bare, but I did scan a rather nice photo from BR steaming through Peterborough, again copyright of Andrew C Ingram.

post-98-0-78281500-1537911780_thumb.jpg

This features the big south goods shed, well off scene for me, but a very nice shot with a Claud to look at as well. It is a March engine, and is moving either to Spital Bridge shed, or from there down to East. Caption says July 59, which looks right, as the Claud had been in store at Yarmouth until very recently, and didn't have long to live, as it was withdrawn in November.

• Like 12

I'm on tenterhooks - will we get to see the stock of the 9F's parcels train - pleeeeeeeeeeease?

Do hope you get better soon and are at least up to scratch, even if you still feel a little below par.

Anthony

Those are strong antibiotics! At the moment I have even worse glue brain than before I started taking them. I'm sure things will improve.

Our man, having first obtained permission of course, has got a new angle by standing between the tracks in the bay.

attachicon.gif10 WD 2.JPG

Then by moving backwards a few yards, he could get WD and 9F in shot together.

attachicon.gifWD and 9F.JPG

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Did I???

Second one down!  We really must edumocate you GW types as to proper locos.  Think of it as a 56xx but older.  Much.  And nicer of course...…

Edit:  Manners, Neil - lovely photos, Kevin!

Edited by New Haven Neil

• RMweb Premium

Recovery is still slow, and what energy I have goes on club stuff, so all I can manage is another nice AC Ingram view south of Crescent Bridge. It's another glimpse into what things looked like a bit further down the line, so I thought you might like it.

post-98-0-88830800-1538050405_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

So at last I got a good night's sleep, and things seemed to be improving, so I thought I'd get to run and photograph some trains later. The morning was spent on golf stuff, but I achieved my target of a finish before lunch, after which, as I was on my way upstairs, the phone rang. Only 40 minutes. Put it down, and it rang again. By the time things went quiet, the light had gone, so no trains or photos. Now there are slightly worrying signs that the infection is making a comeback. Time will tell.

Here is an interesting photo, which, as well as giving something to look at, has a couple of interesting features. This is a Cleethorpes-KX train.

post-98-0-77737800-1538169201_thumb.jpg

But what are the first two vans. I think the first is a Syphon, but which one I don't know, and I'm stumped by the second.  Can someone help please? Why should they appear on a GN main line service? I've seen them on local trains, but not on one like this.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

So at last I got a good night's sleep, and things seemed to be improving, so I thought I'd get to run and photograph some trains later. The morning was spent on golf stuff, but I achieved my target of a finish before lunch, after which, as I was on my way upstairs, the phone rang. Only 40 minutes. Put it down, and it rang again. By the time things went quiet, the light had gone, so no trains or photos. Now there are slightly worrying signs that the infection is making a comeback. Time will tell.

Here is an interesting photo, which, as well as giving something to look at, has a couple of interesting features. This is a Cleethorpes-KX train.

img20180928_22020569.jpg

But what are the first two vans. I think the first is a Syphon, but which one I don't know, and I'm stumped by the second. Can someone help please? Why should they appear on a GN main line service? I've seen them on local trains, but not on one like this.

I believe - not absolutely certain - they are both Siphons Gilbert. The first being an outside frame Siphon H and the second an inside frame Siphon G.

• RMweb Gold

That’s right. The first one is a Siphon H, as once modelled by Airfix, and the second vehicle is the inside framed Siphon G, as once modelled by Lima. I run examples of both on my layout.

Regards,

Rob.

Edited by Market65
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I keep looking through my AC Ingram images for things which are out of the ordinary. How about this one?

post-98-0-37858900-1538208629_thumb.jpg

Copyright as previously stated. Caption says 1958, but Silver Link didn't have a general that year. Double chimney was fitted in Oct 57, so it is after that, and next general was April 59. The loco looks ex works, but  why would it be sent back to KX on a Class H goods?

• Like 13

If you are tempted by a Siphon G for the layout Macgeodie made a fabulous kit recently, not sure how limited the run was though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128528-brwr-siphon-g-diagram-o62-in-4mm-scale/

Coopercraft/Blacksmith do a detailing etch to add the side doors to the Lima model of a Siphon G, which is quite a nice model in the first place. I think it has the wrong bogies though. There are a few threads on the forum dealing with detail differences and detailing the Lima model.

Hornby did do a Siphon H as well, but I am not sure if it wasn't just the old Lima model repackaged.

You might already be aware of these but hopefully the link is of interest to some following the thread.

Jamie

Edited by Jamiel
  • Like 1

If you are tempted by a Siphon G for the layout Macgeodie made a fabulous kit recently, not sure how limited the run was though.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128528-brwr-siphon-g-diagram-o62-in-4mm-scale/

Coopercraft also do a detailing etch to add the side doors to the Lima model of a Siphon G, which is quite a nnice model in the first place. I think ti has the wrong bogies though. There are a few threads on the forum dealing with detail differences and detailing teh Lima model.

Hornby did do a Siphon H as well, but I am not sure if it wasn't just the old Lima model repackaged.

You might already be aware of these but hopefully the link is of interest to some following the thread.

Jamie

The Lima Siphon G was a very nice model, except for the BR1 bogies and rather sketchy underframe. As Hornby never subsequently produced it, I presume they didn't inherit the moulds.

The detailing etches came originally from Blacksmith Models, sadly absorbed into the Cooper-Craft empire.

The Hornby Siphon H was part of the Airfix/ GMR range. They also did an outside-framed Siphon G. Both types survived into the late 1950s. Unlike the Lima Siphon, I believe they have the correct bogies.

• RMweb Premium

Kevin

Your camera was certainly busy when you visited.  I like the slightly differnent take that you have on your images of this amazing layout.  GIlbert, that's not to say that I don't enjoy your images - I do, so keep them coming.

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gifimg20180928_22020569.jpg

But what are the first two vans. I think the first is a Syphon, but which one I don't know, and I'm stumped by the second.  Can someone help please? Why should they appear on a GN main line service? I've seen them on local trains, but not on one like this.

I believe both the vans in Gilbert's picture were designated Siphon G by the GWR, the leading one being the earlier outside-framed type and the second being the more modern design with inside framing.  They were built for milk churn traffic, but I think it's safe to say they weren't being used for that purpose in this picture, and were gangwayed.  I think in later years they were used for general parcels traffic, and somewhere in a book I have a picture of a V2 leaving Huntingdon with an up passenger, with an outside formed Siphon G behind the tender.  Possibly, it was the same train on a different occasion.

A model of the inside framed Siphon G was made by Lima, and is a reasonable model albeit that it runs on their version of the BR B1 bogie.  It is reasonably easy to swap these for more appropriate GWR ones.

The outside framed Siphon G was made by Airfix, with the moulds then passing to Dapol and then Hornby who have both released it under their respective brands.

Airfix also produced a model of a Siphon H, but this vehicle had a higher roof and doors in the ends rather than gangways, allowing it to carry road vehicles.  This model has also subsequently been made by Dapol and Hornby.

I believe both the vans in Gilbert's picture were designated Siphon G by the GWR, the leading one being the earlier outside-framed type and the second being the more modern design with inside framing.  They were built for milk churn traffic, but I think it's safe to say they weren't being used for that purpose in this picture, and were gangwayed.  I think in later years they were used for general parcels traffic, and somewhere in a book I have a picture of a V2 leaving Huntingdon with an up passenger, with an outside formed Siphon G behind the tender.  Possibly, it was the same train on a different occasion.

A model of the inside framed Siphon G was made by Lima, and is a reasonable model albeit that it runs on their version of the BR B1 bogie.  It is reasonably easy to swap these for more appropriate GWR ones.

The outside framed Siphon G was made by Airfix, with the moulds then passing to Dapol and then Hornby who have both released it under their respective brands.

Airfix also produced a model of a Siphon H, but this vehicle had a higher roof and doors in the ends rather than gangways, allowing it to carry road vehicles.  This model has also subsequently been made by Dapol and Hornby.

Yes the Lima inside framed Siphon G had BR1 bogies - Hornby or Bachmann GWR  9ft pressed steel would be an appropriate alternative.  Although the Airfix/Dapol/Hornby outside framed Siphon G and H have GWR bogies they're not the right sort!  They varied but the most typical was the GWR 9ft 'American'.

Chris KT

• RMweb Premium

I reckon those two Siphons had been used for 'specials' (packages or maybe even perishables?) or maybe Pigeons and probably came from Down west somewhere. I don't know much about Pigeon traffic except I doubt many were released to fly south west against what is the usual prevailing winds. I suppose it is vaguely possible that the vans came up empty from the south to be loaded with birds, but I doubt that as I have seen pics of long trains of LNER stock, with pigeons on board, traversing the SR One at Basingstoke or Southampton with a Black 5 in charge IIRC?)

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Kevin

Your camera was certainly busy when you visited.  I like the slightly differnent take that you have on your images of this amazing layout.  GIlbert, that's not to say that I don't enjoy your images - I do, so keep them coming.

Stewart

During my visit I took 106 pictures, some where rubbish, some didn't work and a couple where repeated shots that I had already taken earlier!!!!!

Posted 48 to date and just this minute finished a further 3 more with about 40 more left that I can work on.

It can be quite slow editing the pictures because PN doesn't have any traditional backscenes so there is and awful lot of editing work needed to clean up the background.

By editing that does refer to removing elements of the owner who would wander past the camera shot as it was taking the 1 sec burst of MP4 post focus.

I can confirm that he was wearing very fetching brown and pale grey horizontal stripped top that day...…!!!!! 

Please refer to the attached still for details.

post-8925-0-05375900-1538247185_thumb.jpg

My own layout has 450mm high backscenes as I always envisaged needing them when taking pictures, I did have a lengthy chat with Gilbert about fitting some but I don't think I was onto a winner....!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

During my visit I took 106 pictures, some where rubbish, some didn't work and a couple where repeated shots that I had already taken earlier!!!!!

Posted 48 to date and just this minute finished a further 3 more with about 40 more left that I can work on.

It can be quite slow editing the pictures because PN doesn't have any traditional backscenes so there is and awful lot of editing work needed to clean up the background.

By editing that does refer to removing elements of the owner who would wander past the camera shot as it was taking the 1 sec burst of MP4 post focus.

I can confirm that he was wearing very fetching brown and pale grey horizontal stripped top that day...…!!!!! 

Please refer to the attached still for details.

attachicon.gifP1080739.MP4_snapshot_00.01_2018.09.29_19.50.16.jpg

My own layout has 450mm high backscenes as I always envisaged needing them when taking pictures, I did have a lengthy chat with Gilbert about fitting some but I don't think I was onto a winner....!

Well, I don't understand this post focus stuff, so I didn't know I was in the way. I'm rarely in shot when I take pictures. :scratchhead:

As to backscenes, they would be needed on both sides, and would have to be removeable, or they'd block  a lot of nice views. Having been removed, I doubt I'd be bothered to put them back again. I'm inured to the photoshopping now.

• Like 2