Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I suspect ebay might be your friend here. You can generally get a reasonable price for a loco body on eBay. For example I’ve just bought a Bachmann E4,used the chassis to re-chassis my very old DJH N8, and then sold on the E4 body for £25 on eBay. I bought the whole E4 loco on eBay for £60, so after ebay fees the net cost of the chassis was about £38, not bad compared with the cost and effort of a kit built chassis!

I think you could do the same with a B1.the loco would cost a bit more, but you could probably sell the body for c. £25 and the tender for c. £15.

Andy

Thanks Andy, I'll see what can be done. My other consideration is that I do rate the Hornby offering as a bit better than Bachmann's, bu they do cost rather more too.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy, I'll see what can be done. My other consideration is that I do rate the Hornby offering as a bit better than Bachmann's, bu they do cost rather more too.

I agree that the Hornby model is better and if I was buying from scratch that’s where I’d start. But as you have nicely weathered and personalised bodies based on the Bachmann model, it’s surely worth making the most of them.

Gilbert,

on e-bay this morning from a reputable Model Shop in Warrington effectively brand new :-   Bachmann 'OO' 31-713 CLASS B1 'GAZELLE' BR LINED 'EX DISPLAY MODEL BARGAIN' !!   £74.00 Buy it Now.

Then sell body & tender.

Regards,Derek.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

on e-bay this morning from a reputable Model Shop in Warrington effectively brand new :-   Bachmann 'OO' 31-713 CLASS B1 'GAZELLE' BR LINED 'EX DISPLAY MODEL BARGAIN' !!   £74.00 Buy it Now.

Then sell body & tender.

Regards,Derek.

Thanks Derek. I can't remember how recent a release Gazelle was, though. I've a feeling that it may still have been split chassis.

• RMweb Premium

I've just had a look on E bay, and find that Gazelle is not DCC ready, so it is a rather old model. I've found that the dreaded chassis problems occur over time irrespective of how much a loco has been used, so unfortunately I don't think it solves the problem.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That J3 does look a picture, I wish I could justify one up my way, but perhaps I will keep pressing on with certain J6s in the meantime.

Been enjoying catching up on all things PN, especially B17s and shiny A3s. As for B1s, I have 4 but I think I need another, though like you say, the Hornby offering is a tad expensive.

Glad you got over your recent virus too Gilbert.

Cheers

Tony

I have to agree with you.

My Mainline B1 has gone to 'Sheffield Exchange'.

Clive needed a chassis and I wasn't in need of it. It was starting to 'Mainline'!!!!!

Hopefully he will get some use out of her.

He was amazed I wanted no dosh. There was no way I could ask bread for that considering it was already starting to hunt!!

My B1s?

A Hornby one, bought when Hattons had a 'Brain in a Pickle Jar' moment and my piece de resistance, a Jameson beast built, beautifully by 'Coachbogies' late father, Brian, the Jameson Master!!!!!! Pulls what I put behind her and runs like a turbine. XO4 motor worm gear!!!!!

Brian was a chassis god!!!

She might not be massively detailed but from normal viewing distance, she looks like the funny looking loco I saw coming through centre road Manchester Exchange all those years ago!!!!!!!!!!

J3? Lovely!!!

Then again, I have a thing about small 0-6-0s

Chris.

60017 did of course have modest fame in pre-war days, here is a pic of her I made some time ago, not sure if you allow edited pics but no harm, I hope, in trying...

post-7929-0-14391700-1538948560_thumb.jpg

what a fine engine!  :)

cheers, will remove if asked

• Like 9

Sometimes you take a picture and think....oh dear...that didn't quite work!

Like this one

post-8925-0-47853100-1538983913_thumb.jpg

Everything in the foreground is to dark as the sun was quite intense through the window throwing shadows all over the place.

Then, you think, I have some powerful tools built into Affinity so using within filters the lighting tool, then a bit of cropping, cloning and some further brightness/contrast adjustment we ended up with a night time shot with a hybrid moon shining down.

post-8925-0-37615400-1538984205_thumb.jpg

Well I like it but I'll leave it up to you guys to be the final judge.

Edited by KNP
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Sometimes you take a picture and think....oh dear...that didn't quite work!

Like this one

attachicon.gifPN62.jpg

Everything in the foreground is to dark as the sun was quite intense through the window throwing shadows all over the place.

Then, you think, I have some powerful tools built into Affinity so using within filters the lighting tool, then a bit of cropping, cloning and some further brightness/contrast adjustment we ended up with a night time shot with a hybrid moon shining down.

attachicon.gifPN63.jpg

Well I like it but I'll leave it up to you guys to be the final judge.

I don't think there is an answer to this one, Kevin. It could be a really nice view, but I must have tried it a hundred times in different light conditions, and with a variety of exposures, and I've never beaten it.

• RMweb Premium

That Coronation Tank sounds like how I was described on Strictly Not Dancing a couple of years ago. I really like the last two spotters view shots;very clever positioning.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

This morning we have a closer crop of the last picture, and in monochrome for a bit of variety.

attachicon.gif2 WR 1 alt.JPG

plus another look under the roof.

attachicon.gif3 WR under.JPG

Some strange effects on this one. :scratchhead:

Good morning Gilbert,

Interesting shots, as always.

May I make a suggestion, please? When I next come round I'll bring some screw-link couplings with me and may we spend (part of) the day fitting them, as appropriate, please? May we also have a go at straightening up vacuum standpipes? 

In my view, things like missing couplings ruin the illusion. Clearly, Bachmann's plasticky things just fall off.

Regards,

Tony. 

I don't think there is an answer to this one, Kevin. It could be a really nice view, but I must have tried it a hundred times in different light conditions, and with a variety of exposures, and I've never beaten it.

Powerful, fill-in flash! 

When I next come round I'll try it. 

Edited by Tony Wright