Peterborough North

great northern

I've just dug around finding some old shots where I've taken them contre-jour. 

post-18225-0-86326300-1539075273_thumb.jpg

This was taken into the light (with your blinds closed), and the big Metz has illuminated this side quite adequately. ABBOTSFORD's  vacuum standpipe is straight in this shot, though her coupling would appear to have been missing for quite some time).

post-18225-0-51156200-1539075405_thumb.jpg

Another shot against the light to some extent (I'll need to bring some vacuum standpipes as well!).

post-18225-0-60101200-1539075465_thumb.jpg

Again, taken against the light to some extent (and I should have filled-in a bit more on the loco's front). 

Exposures are typically about five seconds, with pulses of fill-in flash

I've noticed the odd bit of flare on some of your shots, Gilbert, taken towards the light. Have you got a lens hood? 

See you soon,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I've just dug around finding some old shots where I've taken them contre-jour. 

attachicon.gifPeterborough North 11.jpg

This was taken into the light (with your blinds closed), and the big Metz has illuminated this side quite adequately. ABBOTSFORD's  vacuum standpipe is straight in this shot, though her coupling would appear to have been missing for quite some time).

attachicon.gif1 11 17 03.jpg

Another shot against the light to some extent (I'll need to bring some vacuum standpipes as well!).

attachicon.gifDsc_5774.jpg

Again, taken against the light to some extent (and I should have filled-in a bit more on the loco's front). 

Exposures are typically about five seconds, with pulses of fill-in flash

I've noticed the odd bit of flare on some of your shots, Gilbert, taken towards the light. Have you got a lens hood? 

See you soon,

Regards,

Tony. 

No, I don't have a lens hood Tony. That would be a good idea, I presume? All help gratefully accepted when it comes to couplings and vac pipes, and lamps too. I just don't seem to be able to deal with them adequately, or to see when they are missing, for that matter. I have no idea where they go, as I almost never find any lying about.

Tim's visit did, as usual, produce a goodie, but only one, as he received a bit of a shock when he started work on the other loco he was due to bring back, so that one is delayed while he works out how to get round the problem.

Another A4 has lost the anaemic Hornby green, and now poses proudly in its new finery.

attachicon.gif1 15 1.JPG

attachicon.gif2 15 2.JPG

attachicon.gif3 15 3.JPG

Here is Quicksilver, its condition taken from a photo of it running in to PN in ealy summer of 58. Again, subtle differences from all that has gone before, and not quite as clean as some. Even with blinds firmly drawn though too much light got through, so the effects may be a little over exaggerated. Another lovely job.

Eventually, off we went to drop Tim off to catch his first train on the journey home, only to find it had been cancelled as vandals had set fire to the unit earlier in the day. Fortunately, another service was stopped to pick up otherwise stranded passengers, so all was well.

I then drove home, which involved coming out of the village and up to the main road, where I was to turn left. It's a very busy traffic light controlled cross roads. As I approached the lights turned red, and I stopped. The car behind me then overtook me, swerved back, nearly hitting me, and drove straight through the red light! Entirely deliberate, as he had first stopped behind me. Somehow, he didn't collide with anything, and was long gone before I could think of taking his number. I really have seen everything now.

That is a work of art!!!!!

As for the driver, come to Manchester and drive with me!!! Impatience and arrogance appears to be becoming more and more the norm!!!!!

Chris.

• RMweb Premium

Ah, the N5 sneaking into Kevin's shots now!

A dashcam is now vital we find, Gilbert.  Lack of one cost us dear last year, but fitting one produced a prosecution in our favour shortly afterwards after another incident.

Oh dear, another expense. Couldn't I get a fixed machine gun instead?

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh dear, another expense. Couldn't I get a fixed macnine gun instead?

We were close to that after the first incident - the local plod let us down badly, annoying after working for them for so long.....poor investigation, gaps you could drive through resulted in a waste of Court time really, the b*gger got off.  My faith in the justice system I worked in was shaken.  Dashcam footage would have proved it in a second (chummy was on the wrong side of the road!).  Both cars and the camper now have them! Once bitten.

Back on topic - Kevin's good, isn't he!  Amazing how his photos shoe different aspects of PN due to his approach being different to yours.  I never tire of seeing the photos in this thread as the layout continues to develop.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Phil,

and you believed a politician  :no:

There is a simple test. If the gent with a brain the size of a planet, or possibly two, says it is true, it must be . Otherwise it is "fake news". And his dad could have beat up your dad any day too, or mine, for that matter.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert and friends, I am sure you are aware that gee Dee Models is closing? They have a range of materials and similar things that they are selling off.

Phil

I don't venture into Nottingham unless I have to Phil, as parking is extortionate, but I think I may just have a look tomorrow to see if there is anything I can't resist. I really should have one more haggle with my mate Malcolm the manager before the end.