Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert

Another query for you. It always struck me as amusing that Peterborough North is on the West side of the city, and Peterborough East was on the South side. I know the reason for the names, but does anyone know of a similar situation anywhere else?

Lloyd

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Another query for you. It always struck me as amusing that Peterborough North is on the West side of the city, and Peterborough East was on the South side. I know the reason for the names, but does anyone know of a similar situation anywhere else?

Lloyd

Hi Lloyd

Peterborough North ......Great Northern Railway.

Peterborough East......Great Eastern Railway.

• Like 1

What livery is that first coach in? I am not recognizing it.

Lloyd

Lloyd,

The livery of the first coach  is Crimson & Cream.  I don't  really understand your question, as this was  the standard passenger livery adopted from Nationalisation in 1948 until in 1955-56 the Br Standard Maroon  started to be introduced. The coach in question is a BG which was classed as a Passenger vehicle.

I hope this answers your question. I suspect you never saw this Livery due to your age ?  I of course was just a mere boy . :nono:  :nono: 

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Lloyd,

The livery of the first coach  is Crimson & Cream.  I don't  really understand your question, as this was  the standard passenger livery adopted from Nationalisation in 1948 until in 1955-56 the Br Standard Maroon  started to be introduced. The coach in question is a BG which was classed as a Passenger vehicle.

I hope this answers your question. I suspect you never saw this Livery due to your age ?  I of course was just a mere boy . :nono:  :nono: 

Regards,Derek.

The query could be due to Bachmann's rendition of crimson being far too dark - not much different from the later BR maroon.

Compare it with the vehicles further back in the train, which are much more representative of my recollection of crimson.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

The query could be due to Bachmann's rendition of crimson being far too dark - not much different from the later BR maroon.

Compare it with the vehicles further back in the train, which are much more representative of my recollection of crimson.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

I quite agree,that was one of my thoughts. Could even be a Replica BG.  Gilbert will remember them well, unlike me  :onthequiet:

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

John,

I quite agree,that was one of my thoughts. Could even be a Replica BG.  Gilbert will remember them well, unlike me  :onthequiet:

Regards,Derek.

It hadn't registered with me as being a BG - you could well be correct.

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Lloyd

Canterbury. 

Canterbury East is to the South of the city centre and Canterbury West is to the North.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Was there ever a crimson and cream plus a maroon (crimson lake) and cream? So two different versions.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Lloyd

Peterborough North ......Great Northern Railway.

Peterborough East......Great Eastern Railway.

I should have added they I believe were not named North and East until the formation of the LNER, as both stations came under LNER control it was a way of distinguishing them. 

The Midland Railway had a station very close to North station but it closed early because the MR started to run into North station to allow passengers to connect with the GNR services, then on to East station were their trains terminated. Passengers were able to head for all sorts of destinations in East Anglia on the GER or westward on the LNWR who also had trains that terminated at East station.

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 1

Gilbert, forgive the off topic hacking of your thread, but I wonder if any of the folks here have experience of ECML beyond Edinburgh toward The Granite City in the same sort of period as you are modelling?

After relocating and rebuilding he new residence, I'm toying with a much simpler arrangement that Waverley East, perhaps with a focus on the Aberdeen area, which would, while allowing some LMS Stuff and former CR prototypes, also make room for Peppercorns and Gresleys.

I'm particularly looking for recommendations on appropriate sites and books to cover the line and period, and it struck me there's no better informed group on matters Eastern than your good friends on this thread!

Many tanks

ATB

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Was there ever a crimson and cream plus a maroon (crimson lake) and cream? So two different versions.

Not as such - but some might interpret the very early, experimental, 'plum and spilt milk' in this way.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, forgive the off topic hacking of your thread, but I wonder if any of the folks here have experience of ECML beyond Edinburgh toward The Granite City in the same sort of period as you are modelling?

After relocating and rebuilding he new residence, I'm toying with a much simpler arrangement that Waverley East, perhaps with a focus on the Aberdeen area, which would, while allowing some LMS Stuff and former CR prototypes, also make room for Peppercorns and Gresleys.

I'm particularly looking for recommendations on appropriate sites and books to cover the line and period, and it struck me there's no better informed group on matters Eastern than your good friends on this thread!

Many tanks

ATB

Peter

How about a basic double-track oval with the Forth Bridge on one side and the Tay Bridge on the other? Couldn't be much simpler than that...

More seriously, the father of LNER4479 (Grantham Graham) of this parish has a model of the south end of Aberdeen Station. That might be worth thinking about.

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Like 1

Once the P2s arrived, Ferryhill lost the last of its Gresley Pacifics in March 1938.  “Blenheim” was allocated there from July 1940 to October 1941 but, after that, no Gresley Pacifics were allocated to Ferryhill until May 1962 by which time the Edinburgh – Aberdeen service had been dieselised.

Similarly, Dundee lost its last Pacific in November 1938.  “William Whitelaw”, “Spearmint” and “Ormonde” were all allocated there for short periods in 1940 and 1943.  After that, no Gresley Pacifics were allocated there until November 1960, again after dieselisation.

Haymarket obviously continued to send their Pacifics as far as Dundee but, given the obligatory engine change there, the sight of a Gresley Pacific north of Dundee must have been something of a rarity prior to 1958.

Through running was reintroduced between Edinburgh and Aberdeen from the winter 1958/59 timetable so 1959 would be a good choice as dieselisation occurred in April 1960.

Brilliant - thanks!

• Like 1

How about a basic double-track oval with the Forth Bridge on one side and the Tay Bridge on the other? Couldn't be much simpler than that...

More seriously, the father of LNER4479 (Grantham Graham) of this parish has a model of the south end of Aberdeen Station. That might be worth thinking about.

I shall reach out to him- Thanks

Not sure I could do the Forth Bridge- I’d be forever painting it!

• RMweb Premium

For the fourth successive day we are promised wall to wall sunshine, but so far, as on the previous three, we have wall to wall low cloud and near darkness. Golf today though, so I predict that the sun will appear when I'm out, and can't take any photos.

Here's what happens when I try to take photos on days like this.

post-98-0-01511400-1546680210_thumb.jpg

Try photoshopping that background, particularly the poles.

I've been experimenting with ways to get some light down that far end behind Spital Bridge, so I put the camera down here to see what the effect was.

post-98-0-78671100-1546680374_thumb.jpg

Fairly successful, but it reminds me that I have some more yellow allegedly "weathered" wagons to deal with. Again the low light made distance photoshopping a pain, so I gave up.

• Like 16

Once the P2s arrived, Ferryhill lost the last of its Gresley Pacifics in March 1938.  “Blenheim” was allocated there from July 1940 to October 1941 but, after that, no Gresley Pacifics were allocated to Ferryhill until May 1962 by which time the Edinburgh – Aberdeen service had been dieselised.

Similarly, Dundee lost its last Pacific in November 1938.  “William Whitelaw”, “Spearmint” and “Ormonde” were all allocated there for short periods in 1940 and 1943.  After that, no Gresley Pacifics were allocated there until November 1960, again after dieselisation.

Haymarket obviously continued to send their Pacifics as far as Dundee but, given the obligatory engine change there, the sight of a Gresley Pacific north of Dundee must have been something of a rarity prior to 1958.

Through running was reintroduced between Edinburgh and Aberdeen from the winter 1958/59 timetable so 1959 would be a good choice as dieselisation occurred in April 1960.

What about the A4s on the Aberdeen Glasgow 3 hour trains after they were no longer needed on the ECML?

Lloyd

What about the A4s on the Aberdeen Glasgow 3 hour trains after they were no longer needed on the ECML?

Lloyd

Very much in my thoughts!

I found a shed list for Ferryhill, which shows a decent handful of A class locos during the spring of 1964 I think it was, hence the thought of that line and timescale.

I’m now looking for photos and references

• Like 1

For the fourth successive day we are promised wall to wall sunshine, but so far, as on the previous three, we have wall to wall low cloud and near darkness. Golf today though, so I predict that the sun will appear when I'm out, and can't take any photos.

Here's what happens when I try to take photos on days like this.

attachicon.gif14 538.JPG

Try photoshopping that background, particularly the poles.

I've been experimenting with ways to get some light down that far end behind Spital Bridge, so I put the camera down here to see what the effect was.

attachicon.gif1 looking to bridge.JPG

Fairly successful, but it reminds me that I have some more yellow allegedly "weathered" wagons to deal with. Again the low light made distance photoshopping a pain, so I gave up.

That first picture I wouldn't bother, but would retain the dull blue-grey background and using a clone brush "spread" it around to all areas so the whole BG becomes a blueish overcast.

The second one is more fiddley but a similar result could be obtained by clone-painting from a photo of an overcast sky.

I imagine the process you use in PS is more automatic and fast, my hand-painting methods can require up to an hour per photo so may not be an option for everyone.

These were the Gresley Pacifics allocated to Ferryhill from May 1962 onwards.  I was under the impression that the OP was seeking information for a 1950s era layout.

Indeed I was, but remembering the A4 swan song and discovering that there were A3, A2 and A1 classes visiting Ferryhill in th e mid ‘60s makes me rethink

I could also squeeze in my extensive diesel collection!

In that case I recommend this publication. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Memories-Steam-Glasgow-Aberdeen-Michael/dp/1870754379

There is also extensive coverage in contemporary Railway Observers and no shortage of footage on most of the DVDs covering the Scottish Region.

Excellent recommendation- many thanks, I have just purchased it!

Very much in my thoughts!

I found a shed list for Ferryhill, which shows a decent handful of A class locos during the spring of 1964 I think it was, hence the thought of that line and timescale.

I’m now looking for photos and references

Have you thought about Perth? Plenty of variety with ex-LNER and ex-LMS both coming from the south, via 3 routes, and the same going north, with three routes, plus locals, etc.

Have you thought about Perth? Plenty of variety with ex-LNER and ex-LMS both coming from the south, via 3 routes, and the same going north, with three routes, plus locals, etc.

I flirted with Perth, so to speak, but its a bit too big for the space I have available!

I’m wondering about a smaller 2/3 platform with goods yard - any suggestions?