Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Metropolitan H said:

Another vote for that combination. But if it has to be a British post-war title I am partial to the "Cornish Riveria Express"

Regards

Chris H

For the avoidance of doubt, I was referring to the Victoria - Folkestone portion.

23 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

The Atlantic Coast Express for me as its one of the two named trains I've been on. The other was The Northumbrian but that was behind a Class 40. The ACE was behind 35028 in April 1964.

Good grief, my photographer was there!    *

35028_MN_Bulleid_Image10_4ab_r1800a.jpg.ea354f7be38e531a02b00ddf5831c370.jpg

and the ACE gets my vote because it evokes so many scenarios from Waterloo to Ilfracombe, even if after Exeter it became several different trains.

If that disqualifies it I'll go for 'The Waverley', because it was hauled by so many different engines, a spotter's and train-timer's dream, even if an achingly slow way to get from London to Edinburgh.

*  Historical accuracy not guaranteed.

41100_compound_waverley_3abc_r1500.jpg.77e7b9d1aec80cd3d328c9f8e8fc8bcf.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Train names. Best: The Cornish Riviera. Worst... far more difficult but I’m going to go for The Condor, if only because it’s quite meaningless to the man on the Clapham omnibus.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Train Names:

Best: Brighton Belle

Worst: Not "Condor" (having been told the derivation, it is indeed clever - thanks @cctransuk). 

There are a few really bad ones in the Wikipedia "List of named passenger trains of the United Kingdom" ("Virgin Invader" and "Wandle Thames Express" strike me as particularly awful, but given the source of the list I have doubts about their authenticity).  

I'd have to go for "Admiraal de Ruijter" on the grounds that I don't think that naming a boat train after an admiral whose main claim to fame was an attack on British boats is a great idea. 

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Poll result. Many candidates for best, the Elizabethan won with 4. The worst was a tie, 3 votes each for the Anglo Scottish Car Carrier, which doesn't exactly trip off the tongue, and the poor old Condor. State of the art brand new diesels thundering through the night till they broke down in some remote location, what more could one ask?

The subject of today's poll came to me while under the shower this morning. The indoor one, that is, not the very frequent outdoor variety. You seem to be happiest with locomotive based polls, so I'll try another of those, looking for the best ever loco or class to emerge from some of the UK's most well known works. And we shall start with Darlington works. Many candidates to choose from, and from early in railway history too, but what was the stand out one in your opinion? Technical innovation, longevity, or just sheer reliability and versatility, whatever you think most important, but not just based on looks this time.

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, great northern said:

... the poor old Condor.

As one who regularly skipped Cubs in order to see and hear a pair of Metrovick Co-Bos, on full throttle, at the head of the CONDOR, I can tell you that they were audibly more impressive than even a DELTIC !

At the time, a uniform train of containers, with a headboarded pair of new locos at the front, did speak of the future.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, TrevorP1 said:

Train names. Best: The Cornish Riviera. Worst... far more difficult but I’m going to go for The Condor, if only because it’s quite meaningless to the man on the Clapham omnibus.

What about the St Mungo, I am sure most people living in the villages around Bedford wouldn't have a clue what it was?

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, cctransuk said:

As one who regularly skipped Cubs in order to see and hear a pair of Metrovick Co-Bos, on full throttle, at the head of the CONDOR, I can tell you that they were audibly more impressive than even a DELTIC !

At the time, a uniform train of containers, with a headboarded pair of new locos at the front, did speak of the future.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes, I remember that they sounded impressive John. When new, they started appearing very regularly at Derby on the top expresses, but always double headed. I can also remember one train where they were removed amid much cursing, and replaced by steam. Later in the year, they had disappeared, and it was back to Black 5s again.

I bought the Hornby Dublo one as soon as it appeared, but sadly it ran little better than the real thing.

14 hours ago, great northern said:

The Up Fair Maid now, but Gateshead has rostered a not at all fair A3. Gladiateur wasn't a maid, either, as he won the Derby.

1351490739_3570.JPG.8954ee2ef41d2cc966d3c2c36d473519.JPG

Your evening plonk features a bloke looking at closed doors.

1134963116_10plonkparcels.JPG.61678f21126c2bc01194063139f2df2a.JPG

You can't see from here, but he has both hands full, so perhaps he is wondering how he is going to open them.

Un-bend his fingers?

Stewart

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Best Darlington built locos?

The LMS 0-6-0 350hp shunters (class 11) 12103–12138.

Two reasons, one they are LMS design locos and two they are diesels.

I await your nominations with great anticipation Clive, and as always, you do not let me down.

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, great northern said:

I await your nominations with great anticipation Clive, and as always, you do not let me down.

Hi Gilbert

I could always go for the actual best Darlington loco build, the B16 but it will not win because they were humdrum locos not as flashy as a Class Z (LNER C7) .

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1