Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Clear poll winner is the Midland and Great Northern, bit there were a number of other suggestions. Perhaps the geographical area could have been a bit narrower, as there were so many lovely routes to choose from.

Today is definitely narrower, though still plenty of choices. Taking the same area, which is/was the most attractive and characterful branch line to the seaside?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Does Maldon count as a seaside place, if so the Maldon branch from Witham.

If not the Southend Branch from Shenfield.

I've mainly seen mud at Southend not the sea and it is at the mouth of the Thames. The sea seems to be round the corner beyond even more mud. Does it even count?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, mullie said:

I've mainly seen mud at Southend not the sea and it is at the mouth of the Thames. The sea seems to be round the corner beyond even more mud. Does it even count?

Maldon has more mud.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 2

4 hours ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Maldon has more mud.

Do like Maldon, famous for its battle in 991 AD, sea salt, mooring place for Thames barges, two branchlines  and being not far from Tiptree, home of the Wilkins jam factory and where the Kelvedon and Tollesbury Light Railway passed through.

Martyn

5 hours ago, mullie said:

G'Day Folks

Drove along the seafront one night during a storm and the waves were coming over the roadway, car was covered in seawater.

manna (Ex Southend resident)

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

I think we will abandon this poll, as it attracts little interest. There was as much about mud as there were suggestions about branch lines. Only four nominations, all different.

One suggestion was that we should discuss Titled Train Names, so I'll try that, and we'll start with pre war names, looking for the best and most evocative. Or have you just had enough of polls altogether?

• RMweb Gold

The Atlantic Coast Express, a name coined by an employee - who I believe later lost his life in an accident - did attempt to do what it said on the tin. But by the time it got anywhere near the Atlantic it was on single-track branches of essentially gentle speed. If only the present incumbent ran trains fast from Waterloo to Salisbury and then fast to Exeter, though............

• Like 4