Peterborough North

great northern

Willbrook, seen at York, when I think it was spare to cover diesels.
A very mucky Harvester, my only A3, seen at York again, right at the very end of her life.
I never saw the loco, but I have a soft spot for Meg Merrilies. My Springer Spaniel, my companion for 15yrs was Meg.

Edited by Sandhole
  • Like 1

No contest. 

edited pic Bachmann model.  Will remove if offends.

60116_haymarket_A1_portrait2_1a_r1820.jpg.e7fe0b4c61477300b8b877f8b3c8d274.jpg

edit; 60116 was mostly a 52B Gateshead engine, presumably seen sometimes at Waverley and New England?

Edited by robmcg
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, great northern said:

Two power cuts today, one this afternoon, and a longer one this evening. That's one way of stopping people having parties.:jester:

Anyway, before the next spell of darkness, may I wish each and every one of you a much better New Year than the one we have just endured. RMWeb has turned out to be a powerful tool for keeping us sane in such unprecedented times, so many thanks to Andy Y for keeping it going for us.

We have a very appropriate picture to usher the New Year in. What could be better than a Claud with original valances?

1233279626_102613.JPG.e308194de4326ae80afb5bdf4cb84637.JPG

How good it would be if Hornby announce one of these next week. I'm not holding my breath though.

I echo those thanks to Andy Y and add sincere thanks to you Gilbert for your marvellous models, photography, and forbearance. 

A happy new year to all from NZ where is is sunny and warm but still rather out-of-touch with the world.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

Many different suggestions for the best A1 name, showing, ! think, what a good selection they were. I would not have predicted the winner though, Hal O' The Wynd, with 3 votes. It was very close though, five other locos had 2 votes.

Was there a worst name among the A1s? If so, which one was it?

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

Many different suggestions for the best A1 name, showing, ! think, what a good selection they were. I would not have predicted the winner though, Hal O' The Wynd, with 3 votes. It was very close though, five other locos had 2 votes.

Was there a worst name among the A1s? If so, which one was it?

W.P.Allen for me. I don’t like obscure names - especially ones with middle initials. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, thegreenhowards said:

W.P.Allen for me. I don’t like obscure names - especially ones with middle initials. 

I agree about the name but it seems an odd one out, so W.P.Allen is my choice.

Just now, LNER4479 said:

Wasn't he a Union official of the time? There was obviously a reason for choosing the name.

But I agree, rather uninspiring compared to the continued tradition of inspirational racehorse names

A.S.L.E.F. No less.

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, LNER4479 said:

Was he highly-regarded or something? Or just a sop to the Union at the dawn of nationalisation?

He was a high ranking ASLEF man, as I recall. Presumably naming the first one after a union official rather than a member of the board or other such traditional recipients was to signal the brave new dawn.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, JamieR4489 said:

Saint Johnstoun. I don’t dislike Perth I just think it’s a clunky name not suited to a big express engine. It would have been better on an NBR 4-4-0.

It was previously on a NBR Atlantic along with nine others which also were used for the A1s.

• Informative/Useful 1