Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

I think I have to go for Silver King, not from a Hornby Dublo fest, but just....because I like it.

My first awareness of A4 was indeed HD's Silver King - a loco I never saw, although I did see 19 others in service, maybe a couple since. So Silver King it is. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

My first awareness of A4 was indeed HD's Silver King - a loco I never saw, although I did see 19 others in service, maybe a couple since. So Silver King it is. 

They were gone before my time as a spotter Ian as I'm a '59 model, but I think it was a Gateshead engine so appropriate for me!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

J6 has had a long rest, but now for the last leg of this not very demanding duty, another mile down to East, a lot of it downhill too.

1741629180_84260.JPG.94847fbe5c2394816bc32f867a26c258.JPG

Mons Meg now comes along the engine road, and will be in charge of the 1033 stopper to KX.

1571966487_9504.JPG.1f12a0cf35ddba10bd192232432252cd.JPG

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Clive Mortimore said:

I would have thought, having been a manager at Brighton it would have been 60033.

Loyalties don't stick like they use to. :(

If i followed that logic it would be 61630 but that wasn't an A4 so doesn't count.

10 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

As much as I like a lot of the birds, silver, golden and the parts of the empire it must surely be Sir Nigel

Andrew

I agree.  No.7.

In support of this  choice may I please be permitted just this once to include my edited photo of this engine?  Will remove if asked.   I rather like skirtless post-war livery.

7_4498_A4_LNER_Sir_Nigel_Gresley_1ab_r1800.jpg.35bbca458ada28c01af8aa83acf0ce20.jpg

Actually the track is rather reminiscent of PN.

No contest really. 

Cheers from sunny summer NZ where it is cloudy, often wet, and freezing ...

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Woodcock29 said:

Great photo- did you take it Clive?

Yes, it is of a young bird learning to fly. Until the wind blew this tree down there was a Kestrel nest in it. Dad has just turned up to feed them.

062.JPG.316416dda5507a7132d83d0f2ddb1085.JPG

The top hole was the nest the bottom hole was a Tawny Owl's winter retreat.

• Like 17
  • Round of applause 1

17 minutes ago, great northern said:

Back to dull and cold here. Never mind, there is a poll result to look forward to when I get round to it, and the prospect of another one. For some reason Mons Meg got the portrait treatment, and I don't think it looks that bad, frankly.

1260331559_105042.JPG.dc6a63bd4bc781ac9283b36e974d92c5.JPG

What a lovely Photograph Gilbert. Superb,model in a superb setting.

• Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

20 votes in the poll, and 12 different names nominated. The winner was Sir Nigel himself, with 4 votes.

It seems almost sacrilegious, but I shall now ask what you think the worst A4 name was. Can one really find fault with anything about an A4?