Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

7 hours ago, great northern said:

Off goes Walter K  to New England.....

1369773119_528off.thumb.JPG.b63d4fe6efd4cad96a8e7ed1e4ba2c07.JPG

And it is replaced by our own dismally dirty Duke.

898436797_6508.thumb.JPG.a6beb8f8e7c5cad4f157abb96b417874.JPG

I like both. But the A4 is cracking... 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

What is going on? Lying ba*****d tells me it will only load one, and then does both. In the end, we have all four, and I'm delighted with them. They really don't look out of place alongside two professionally built and painted cars, and I can't think of a better compliment than that.

I was rather horrified when Steve told me how much work was involved, the glazing alone would have had me gibbering. I'll leave it to him as to whether he wants to go into further detail. So now I have a rake of eight very nice all door Gresleys, and that is enough for most of the formations I need. There are a few that call for ten, but I judged it unwise to push Steve's sanity further by asking for more. Perhaps later, when the memory may have faded a bit.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, great northern said:

An evening loco shot as well for you, but I won't tempt fate by trying to load more than one.

1414012851_6120last.thumb.JPG.d30f737418c1af41c3badb9cb9c9ffb6.JPG

I think I see what the problem is now. It was reading kb as mb. Computers do lie worse than politicians though. When i was preparing these images with Digital Photo Pro it told me that there was insufficient memory, so they could not be processed. Then it processed them.😕

Hi Gilbert 

I have found that loading an image on my thread has changed.

Up until recently I could load as many photos I wanted irrespective of the file size.

But the last few times I have loaded images the combined  file size again irrespective of how many images you attach is back to a maximum 10MB.

Im not sure why maybe possibly linked to the problems RMWeb encountered earlier in the year.

Regards

David

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, great northern said:

I was rather horrified when Steve told me how much work was involved, the glazing alone would have had me gibbering. I'll leave it to him as to whether he wants to go into further detail.

Thank you Gilbert; I'm glad you like them!  I know how much you wanted them, especially for the Saturday timetable.  The main thing I found daunting was the amount of repetitive work involved in making four identical coaches, especially ones with doors to each compartment.

They were built using MJT sides and the equivalent type of Hornby coach, so at least things like ventilators, step boards and interiors didn't need to be altered.  As well as producing a vehicle with a better profile, this also means that the panelling on the corridor sides is now correct; the Hornby version having some spurious panelling detail next to some of the doors on this side.

The MJT method of construction means that each of the lower panels is a separate piece which has to be soldered on, as do all the droplights.  And of course, the number of hinges, door handles and ventilator hoods to be attached is multiplied by the number of doors.  The Comet method of panelled coach construction is simpler but strangely enough this type (which must have been the commonest of LNER Corridor Thirds) is not in the Comet range.  However, I think the MJT sides do give a better result.

As the droplights are soldered behind the sides, the glazing had to be broken down into sections fitting between the doors, with separate pieces for the droplights themselves.  As you can see from the pictures, this leaves very little 'land' to put glue onto next to where the glazing pieces end behind the doors.  Consequently the glazing is mainly attached to the vertical panels in between the doors.  I use Evo Stik to attach the glazing, so there is plenty of scope for it to go where it is not wanted!  It all seems to have come out fairly OK in the end, though.

Anyway, they seem to have come out fairly well and I'm looking forward to starting on Gilbert's next commission, which is some Diagram 155 end vestibule Corridor Thirds, which thankfully have only 4 doors per coach!

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, mullie said:

The layout is superb but the curves and any head on shots show a shortcoming of 00 gauge because it does draw attention to the narrowness of the gauge in my view.

Sorry!

Martyn

I agree Martyn, so why do I keep drawing attention to it? I found I couldn't contemplate trying to do something this size in EM though.

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

23 hours ago, great northern said:

Jolly hot folks. I'm up earlier than usual to get a good walk in before it gets much hotter still. First though, a look at Tagalie, stationary at Platform 3.

2096739873_364.thumb.JPG.5a6947234bf635f180311d75a78f5dc5.JPG

Somone on the loading bay got another angle on Book Law before it left too.

238123793_488.thumb.JPG.ab59cd476f2e337dba0048fb8e9be7f7.JPG

Hi Gilbert

I do like that second photo going under the bridge, especially  with the platform and wagon in the foreground.

Is that a new view you have photographed?

Regards

David

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, landscapes said:

Hi Gilbert

I do like that second photo going under the bridge, especially  with the platform and wagon in the foreground.

Is that a new view you have photographed?

Regards

David

Yes, first time I've tried that. It wouldn't have been viable until the lovely new lights arrived.

• Like 3