Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, great northern said:

Hi Tony

The set is to Dia 194/5, with a Dia 190 composite. The composites were largely replaced after the war by 61ft 6 cars, but I decided that if there was anywhere that might still have a short CK in the late 50s it would be the E.Lincs. These sets were originally built for service on ECML stopping services from KX to Peterborough, and were still being so used in 1958. They were also used on the E.Lincs for may years. Whether they would have got to Wakefield I do not know.

However,between 1939 and 1942 further sets were built to Dia 304, and those had a 61ft 6 CK to Dia 305. They were for cross country services and for GC section trains on the Manchester-Cleethorpes route, which they continued to work into the 50s. However, after that they were apparently used in relief main line trains, so you might be more able to justify one of those sets.

As to the J11, they were powerful little beasts, and quite capable of dealing with a set like this on Peterborough-Grimsby services which stopped almost everywhere.

Tony,

Just to add to what Gilbert has said, some of these sets were originally used on semi fast KX- Leeds services. I forget which time period you model but pre war you could certainly run them through Wakefield. Post war they tended to lose the D.190 as Gilbert said which was replaced by a Thompson or Mk 1 CK and the remaining artic twins were mainly used on KX-Peterborough semi fasts and the East Lincs. Later they seem to turn up on relief services so you could justify a twin on such a train through Wakefield.

Steve Banks has a write up of them here

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/422-lner-steel-quintuple-sets

I hope that’s useful

Andy

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Tony,

Just to add to what Gilbert has said, some of these sets were originally used on semi fast KX- Leeds services. I forget which time period you model but pre war you could certainly run them through Wakefield. Post war they tended to lose the D.190 as Gilbert said which was replaced by a Thompson or Mk 1 CK and the remaining artic twins were mainly used on KX-Peterborough semi fasts and the East Lincs. Later they seem to turn up on relief services so you could justify a twin on such a train through Wakefield.

Steve Banks has a write up of them here

https://www.steve-banks.org/prototype-and-traffic/422-lner-steel-quintuple-sets

I hope that’s useful

Andy

Thanks Andy and Gilbert, that’s very helpful.

49 minutes ago, great northern said:

60983 from the other side is our first view tonight. Signals are off for the Down, and the Flying Scotsman is coming under Crescent Bridge. Having discovered what a double chimney could do for an A3, KX would not hesitate to use one on a prestige train, and Woolwinder carries the headboard today. Why images keep being transposed I do not know. I do know that it is annoying.1810731533_3551.thumb.JPG.31504faa46c9944a03141269f38eb632.JPG

66613339_29832.thumb.JPG.e369a4b7a63ee42a4f40e62454d00781.JPG

Is the rake Hornby Bachmann behind the tender?

4 hours ago, great northern said:

One last look at the Scotsman, as it heads away, first stop Newcastle. The 1130 Edinburgh follows almost immediately, and will no doubt cater for the passengers at intermediate stations who have watched the Scotsman fly through, and would otherwise have quite a long wait to get on their way.

1323567532_7554.thumb.JPG.535fd0cb8b00ab6f7e82745ea549686b.JPG

1395921428_8505.thumb.JPG.bc4714d55e86a4a0e5f6a2148f1db3d3.JPG

Gilbert these two shots are outstanding. Thank you for creating a time machine!

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

7 hours ago, great northern said:

One last look at the Scotsman, as it heads away, first stop Newcastle. The 1130 Edinburgh follows almost immediately, and will no doubt cater for the passengers at intermediate stations who have watched the Scotsman fly through, and would otherwise have quite a long wait to get on their way.

1323567532_7554.thumb.JPG.535fd0cb8b00ab6f7e82745ea549686b.JPG

1395921428_8505.thumb.JPG.bc4714d55e86a4a0e5f6a2148f1db3d3.JPG

They are stunning shots, really atmospheric.

Martyn

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, great northern said:

The Edinburgh is immediately replaced at Platform 6 by a Hunstanton excursion. It will run via March, and so a B17 can be rostered.

449783438_11626.thumb.JPG.83b0ffef355182fc72272601585dd43f.JPG

Hello Mr Gilbert

Surely by the summer 1958 an excursion to Hunstanton would be in the hands of one of them nice shinny new Brush Type 2s, to show the public how wonderful the modernisation plan was going to be?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Mr Gilbert

Surely by the summer 1958 an excursion to Hunstanton would be in the hands of one of them nice shinny new Brush Type 2s, to show the public how wonderful the modernisation plan was going to be?

But you see in the summer of 58 they were all allocated to Stratford, and they weren't going to send one all the way to Peterborough just to haul a seaside excursion, were they? And if they had done, it would probably have failed.😀

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Clive Mortimore said:

Hello Mr Gilbert

In that era, and now, I suspect excursion punters were least likely to be seen as what we now call 'opinion formers'. Indeed, in those days excursions were often formed of old stock that hung around doing nothing much of the year, until a sunny Sunday beckoned. Impressing such folk was a very low priority. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, great northern said:

But you see in the summer of 58 they were all allocated to Stratford, and they weren't going to send one all the way to Peterborough just to haul a seaside excursion, were they? And if they had done, it would probably have failed.😀

It just so happens that my ongoing layout build is based on (but not a copy of) Hunstanton. I've amassed quite a collection of pics, usually downloaded though, so I can't post them. One is a distant aerial shot, obviously on a summer weekend, and the number of trains stabled is quite amazing. Most of them are disc-fitted Brush 2s, without SYP, and with white window surrounds

• RMweb Premium
56 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

It just so happens that my ongoing layout build is based on (but not a copy of) Hunstanton. I've amassed quite a collection of pics, usually downloaded though, so I can't post them. One is a distant aerial shot, obviously on a summer weekend, and the number of trains stabled is quite amazing. Most of them are disc-fitted Brush 2s, without SYP, and with white window surrounds

I went to March shed, with permit, in May 1960. My best memory is seeing all three of the remaining B17s in traffic, and two of them were in steam. I also remember two rows of brand new diesels, one of D55xx, and the other of D50xx, none of them apparently in use at that time. Soon afterwards though steam was gone, and they took over everything.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 18/06/2022 at 21:32, great northern said:

The Edinburgh is immediately replaced at Platform 6 by a Hunstanton excursion. It will run via March, and so a B17 can be rostered.

449783438_11626.thumb.JPG.83b0ffef355182fc72272601585dd43f.JPG

Meanwhile, a Darlington-KX rolls through. It will have had a Thornaby V2 to Grantham, but one of ours replaced it there.

759870282_28291.thumb.JPG.b536cafcd66d7bffce2b7ed3f32cd7e7.JPG

If it is going via March, is  it not facing the wrong way? Would it go from March via the Ely junctions, or reverse at Wisbeach?

Lloyd

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

If it is going via March, is  it not facing the wrong way? Would it go from March via the Ely junctions, or reverse at Wisbeach?

Lloyd

Glad you spotted that, Pike.😕

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3