RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, juke said:

'Quite effective, but I may have to do something about the unbroken  expanse of grey in the foreground. A bit of rubbish and clutter, at least?'

What about kerbside drains and 'man holes' in the road?

Syd

Ah yes, I'm getting round to that. Taken about ten years so far, but I'll get there, eventually.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

I shut everything down when I finished operating, knowing it would result in all the macros being emptied again. However, couldn't resist powering up again a couple of minutes later, and they were all still there. So, as calmly as possible, I left it for a couple of hours, and tried again. All macros empty.

That really sounds like the internal battery is on its last legs.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

That really sounds like the internal battery is on its last legs.

It is becoming increasingly likely that the battery is the cause. I've talked to TMC, who have confirmed that replacing it will not put me in breach of warranty, and I've just had an e-mail from NCE, also saying battery is the most likely culprit. Timara will be here tomorrow, and we will replace it then, put in a few macros, and see what happens. One interesting thing is that NCE have now said that the battery must be inserted positive side up. That isn't in the manual,and I've not seen it mentioned before when doing previous replacements, of which there have been several over a life of getting on 25 years. Hopefully all can be sorted without a replacement unit being required.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, great northern said:

It is becoming increasingly likely that the battery is the cause. I've talked to TMC, who have confirmed that replacing it will not put me in breach of warranty, and I've just had an e-mail from NCE, also saying battery is the most likely culprit. Timara will be here tomorrow, and we will replace it then, put in a few macros, and see what happens. One interesting thing is that NCE have now said that the battery must be inserted positive side up. That isn't in the manual,and I've not seen it mentioned before when doing previous replacements, of which there have been several over a life of getting on 25 years. Hopefully all can be sorted without a replacement unit being required.

The positive side is the side without the insulating ring (and with the big + sign on it!). I don't think you can actually fit it the wrong way up. I'm sure you know that you need to keep the Power Pro powered up when changing the battery (it's quite safe, there's only low voltage coming into it).

I treat my command station, and my radio cabs, to a Christmas present of new batteries every year.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I hope you don't mind me commenting on your superb layout and signalling. I too have an interest in Peterborough North albeit in a different scale and earlier era but one thing both periods have in common is wide variety of signalling. I think you have commented before on the complexity of the bracket signals and the lack of trade support for them (Wizard only seems to do a small selection and probably less so in other scales).

With that in mind I got PPD to do some for me, fortunately I think I will only need a smaller selection than you have had to cope with, so just acquired some etches of some of the larger types in 2mm scale, whilst I was at it I did some in 4mm scale just in case I might need them.

With regard to your DCC woes, the only time I ventured into macros was using JMRI PanePro. All the macros were stored on the PC, the handset wasn't involved.

Edited by Stephen Freeman
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, New Haven Neil said:

Always liked that angle!

Hope your day is going a bit better......

A lot better , thank you Neil. The car is fine, though I need to find out how to reset the dashboard display which was wiped out by the battery change. Played with the trains too, and admit to some trepidation when I called up the first macro. All is fine there too, and it is obvious in several small ways that the new unit has made a big difference. Somehow, I have also managed to walk over eleven miles so far today. No set backs at all.....so far.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold

The weathering on Silver Link is just perfect, with the flat dust of soot on the top, through the deep green with gloss shining through the streaks of muck washed down by the rain, to mucky dullish grey black of the running gear.  That's what fine weathering is all about to me, subtle gradations of tone, texture and colour.  I only wish I could be half as good as the magic that Timara weaves on your motive power.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1