Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

There was some discussion on here quite recently about the presence of some ex-SR vans which might have worked through Peterborough North. 

The following might be of interest............

They were all taken at or near Werrington Junction and, I believe, are East Lincs services.

EastLincslineSRvan01.jpg.98096f924411fee39af5ddc5645cef46.jpg

An ex-SR four-wheeler.

EastLincslineSRvan02.jpg.213702611547a9cbad57a3862c3a8367.jpg

An ex-SR bogie van.

EastLincslineWRvan.jpg.696097a94c70423219af38cf9f511e1a.jpg

And, of perhaps further interest, an ex-GWR 'Fruit D'. 

The passenger accommodation appears to be BSK/SK (artic twins)/CK/SK/BSK (artic twins).

Please observe copyright restrictions on the above images. 

Very interesting. Many thanks Tony. Taking them in turn, the first one features a loco which was a New England resident for the whole of the 50s, and is in typical New England condition. This could be either an E.Lincs service, or a Grantham local, as the steel five sets were used on both. As it is on the slow line, I suspect it may be the latter.  The second is easier, I think. 1159 was am Immingham engine from 1954 on, and has the characteristic front end treatment of that shed. That's an E.Lincs local, I would say.  The last one looks like Werrington Junction to me, with the train coming off the E.Lincs onto the main line. Looking closely at 61204 I can see that it has late crest. It was at New England until May 1957, when it was transferred to Spital Bridge. From then on, one would expect to see it on trains from East to Leicester , Rugby or Northampton, but I do wonder whether there was some interaction between the two sheds. Being as dirty as it is suggests a date later than May 57, it surely wouldn't have got into that state within a couple of months of a general overhaul, and it can't have got that crest earlier than March 57. Having said that, it is typical New England condition again. Jury out on that one, but surely E.Lincs?

Although the CWN shows steel sets on the PN-Grantham trains, I think this is the first time I've seen pictorial confirmation, or likely confirmation, anyway. I've not been able to get my hands on an E.Lincs CWN, so I'm very pleased to have confirmation that they were still working there. Again, photographic confirmation is rare- I've seen more pictures that weren't five sets.

As to the Southern vans, really just further confirmation that they were a common sight around Peterborough by this time. The GW van is indeed interesting, but the HMRS survey does show that more ex GW stock than one might have expected was to be seen.

I do enjoy the research and thought processes involved in identifying images like these, so thanks very much for sharing them.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that the Southern bogie van appears to be a GBL as produced recently by Hornby, and I have read were confined to Waterloo boat trains!  It justifies my purchase of one ....

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, great northern said:

Very interesting. Many thanks Tony. Taking them in turn, the first one features a loco which was a New England resident for the whole of the 50s, and is in typical New England condition. This could be either an E.Lincs service, or a Grantham local, as the steel five sets were used on both. As it is on the slow line, I suspect it may be the latter.  The second is easier, I think. 1159 was am Immingham engine from 1954 on, and has the characteristic front end treatment of that shed. That's an E.Lincs local, I would say.  The last one looks like Werrington Junction to me, with the train coming off the E.Lincs onto the main line. Looking closely at 61204 I can see that it has late crest. It was at New England until May 1957, when it was transferred to Spital Bridge. From then on, one would expect to see it on trains from East to Leicester , Rugby or Northampton, but I do wonder whether there was some interaction between the two sheds. Being as dirty as it is suggests a date later than May 57, it surely wouldn't have got into that state within a couple of months of a general overhaul, and it can't have got that crest earlier than March 57. Having said that, it is typical New England condition again. Jury out on that one, but surely E.Lincs?

Although the CWN shows steel sets on the PN-Grantham trains, I think this is the first time I've seen pictorial confirmation, or likely confirmation, anyway. I've not been able to get my hands on an E.Lincs CWN, so I'm very pleased to have confirmation that they were still working there. Again, photographic confirmation is rare- I've seen more pictures that weren't five sets.

As to the Southern vans, really just further confirmation that they were a common sight around Peterborough by this time. The GW van is indeed interesting, but the HMRS survey does show that more ex GW stock than one might have expected was to be seen.

I do enjoy the research and thought processes involved in identifying images like these, so thanks very much for sharing them.

Good evening Gilbert,

Some more shots of possible interest taken at Werrington.....

WErrington01.jpg.56e23872bb07e34bb86e3252006487dc.jpg

Werrington02.jpg.d7681564d13d1b0cca611a490cd6e234.jpg

WErrington03.jpg.c2d568aa744be70b384a2ba1e7bd540c.jpg

WErrington04.jpg.b82fb77ee506cc334442e141929dd29b.jpg

WErrington05.jpg.9b1c4f094769605c15ad75f02ee5cd8e.jpg

WErrington06.jpg.40cc0a07769adeff12b5de0ae0e8ef6c.jpg

WErrington07.jpg.f6b92886cf8c06e9f56518cd76fd9933.jpg

Certainly a variety.

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on these images.

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 18

Good evening again Gilbert,

Some more at Werrington..................

Werrington08.jpg.e3a92bf5eb043f82ccb5de7175e930e7.jpg

Bound for the Stamford line?

Werrington10.jpg.0cf739bbb3a0bf801b6f0f5dc237be54.jpg

And, another for ex-MR metals - a March-Leicester working? 

Same loco, but a different time - post-'61 judging by the electric warning flashes. 

Some splendid ex-LMS stock. Fancy modelling this?

Werrington09.jpg.3d30639434cd7fec4edb7de93ed6af46.jpg

And a Class F empty minerals; taking the main line to turn left at Grantham?

As before, copyright restrictions apply.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, 31A said:

Interesting that the Southern bogie van appears to be a GBL as produced recently by Hornby, and I have read were confined to Waterloo boat trains!  It justifies my purchase of one ....

Well, at least two made it to Cornwall. An old Tri-ang one detailed with the Roxey Mouldings kit and a recent Hornby one, unadulterated (apart from the couplings).

• Like 2

Good morning Gilbert,

Do you run this train in your Saturday sequence?

B107Butlins.jpg.cdfcf9d764519a1215017d3848cbb20b.jpg

Most shots I've found of this set show an ex-Tourist BTO (BSO by your period) as the leading vehicle; as here. 

I believe the headboard was yellow with red-painted letters. It's certainly something different.

The hut to the left appears to be clumsily made from Wills sheets and Plastikard covered in brick paper!

The usual copyright restrictions apply, please.

Regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright
to add something
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

Some more shots of possible interest taken at Werrington.....

WErrington01.jpg.56e23872bb07e34bb86e3252006487dc.jpg

Werrington02.jpg.d7681564d13d1b0cca611a490cd6e234.jpg

WErrington03.jpg.c2d568aa744be70b384a2ba1e7bd540c.jpg

WErrington04.jpg.b82fb77ee506cc334442e141929dd29b.jpg

WErrington05.jpg.9b1c4f094769605c15ad75f02ee5cd8e.jpg

WErrington06.jpg.40cc0a07769adeff12b5de0ae0e8ef6c.jpg

WErrington07.jpg.f6b92886cf8c06e9f56518cd76fd9933.jpg

Certainly a variety.

Please (all) observe copyright restrictions on these images.

Regards,

Tony. 

These are rather later, I suspect, looking at the condition of the locos. Even the Immingham locos on Class A duties are well below the usual standard. I particularly like the images of 61114 and 61144, which show I'm not the only one who fails to get lamps properly seated.

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Some more at Werrington..................

Werrington08.jpg.e3a92bf5eb043f82ccb5de7175e930e7.jpg

Bound for the Stamford line?

Werrington10.jpg.0cf739bbb3a0bf801b6f0f5dc237be54.jpg

And, another for ex-MR metals - a March-Leicester working? 

Same loco, but a different time - post-'61 judging by the electric warning flashes. 

Some splendid ex-LMS stock. Fancy modelling this?

Werrington09.jpg.3d30639434cd7fec4edb7de93ed6af46.jpg

And a Class F empty minerals; taking the main line to turn left at Grantham?

As before, copyright restrictions apply.

Regards,

Tony. 

I'd say the first two are definitely Leicester bound. There was an evening train which was stated in Railway Observer to be regularly double headed, and indeed was seen one on occasion triple headed!  After Spital Bridge closed, some of these duties passed to March, so I agree these are 60s images. By 1963 Britannias were being used. The minerals most likely on the way back to Colwick, I think.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

Do you run this train in your Saturday sequence?

B107Butlins.jpg.cdfcf9d764519a1215017d3848cbb20b.jpg

Most shots I've found of this set show an ex-Tourist BTO (BSO by your period) as the leading vehicle; as here. 

I believe the headboard was yellow with red-painted letters. It's certainly something different.

The hut to the left appears to be clumsily made from Wills sheets and Plastikard covered in brick paper!

The usual copyright restrictions apply, please.

Regards,

Tony. 

I run the train, though not with a Tourist BSO, and without headboard, as I can't find a source for one. As to the hut, Peter Leyland's is much more realistic. It looks to have been renovated when compared with earlier images, which probably means that it was demolished soon afterwards.

26 minutes ago, great northern said:

I run the train, though not with a Tourist BSO, and without headboard, as I can't find a source for one. As to the hut, Peter Leyland's is much more realistic. It looks to have been renovated when compared with earlier images, which probably means that it was demolished soon afterwards.

Good evening Gilbert,

'and without headboard, as I can't find a source for one'

I'll make you one. I'll just paint 'Butlins Express' on the back of an etched nameboard. 

Regards,

Tony. 

11 hours ago, great northern said:

60853 now has time for a rest, and for the crew to get some breakfast.

128532.JPG.6891f9a05b012960303ddb169dbe6fd0.JPG

And then we have the first train of a long Saturday, and as on a weekday it is the Glasgow-Colchester. That filthy Gateshead A3 has the job again, but instead of returning with an express in the afternoon, today it will stay on shed all day, and return with the Down working late on. I've just checked on 60070's overhaul dates, as I wasn't so careful when Tom Wright weathered this for me twenty or so years ago. It turns out though that I did do my homework, as Gladiateur's last general was in late March 1957, so it really had planty of time to get into this condition. Next general wasn't till early March 59, nearly a full two years, and rather longer than average.

1701.JPG.3641bb5f46415cf1efd7cfc4a2294d15.JPG

Was 60070 from 20 years ago? 

Of course...................

Peterborough09A.jpg.edd03180454ea2145123ecb061f9d7a3.jpg

It dates from your loft-based Peterborough.

As does..........CrownlineB17paintedbyIanRathbone02.jpg.25d45d6d7e7d3e5c6970c91b617684ac.jpg

61641 (seen back-thread), the first loco I built for you, I believe.

Ian Rathbone's painting is still as good as ever..................

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good evening Gilbert,

'and without headboard, as I can't find a source for one'

I'll make you one. I'll just paint 'Butlins Express' on the back of an etched nameboard. 

Regards,

Tony. 

That's very kind of you Tony. Here's a photo. And a fireman who couldn't get the lamps on properly, or the headboard straight. Looks black on yellow to me, what do you think?

img20240326_21043034.jpg.60ea0e2b95f8b9ecca61384b96ddb837.jpg

• Like 12
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Was 60070 from 20 years ago? 

Of course...................

Peterborough09A.jpg.edd03180454ea2145123ecb061f9d7a3.jpg

It dates from your loft-based Peterborough.

As does..........CrownlineB17paintedbyIanRathbone02.jpg.25d45d6d7e7d3e5c6970c91b617684ac.jpg

61641 (seen back-thread), the first loco I built for you, I believe.

Ian Rathbone's painting is still as good as ever..................

Regards,

Tony. 

Thank you again. I did like that scenic section, and have always regretted not having room for one on PN. 61641 was indeed the first, and is still very much a treasured locomotive.

The recent pictures of B1 have reminded me about a query I have regarding SB number plates. Several show white edging to the plate. Was this just white paint carefully applied or was there a cast lip to the plate as a guide? Was it restricted to one works or a particular period?  My SB transfer number plates all have the edging and it has been a right pain to carefully trim it off.

Thanks.   Roger.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, great northern said:

That's very kind of you Tony. Here's a photo. And a fireman who couldn't get the lamps on properly, or the headboard straight. Looks black on yellow to me, what do you think?

img20240326_21043034.jpg.60ea0e2b95f8b9ecca61384b96ddb837.jpg

Don't forget the apostrophe, Tony!

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2