Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

On Wednesday, work gave me the opportunity to sample the delights of Bootle. :rolleyes_mini: Unfortunately, I couldn't find them, unless it was that sign saying " You are now leaving Bootle". I'm getting a bit too old to be getting up at 0515 and driving 250 miles in about seven hours, so yesterday was a day of rest. Today though it's back to the layout, and to prove it here are some more pics.

post-98-0-49113600-1328287297_thumb.jpg

Here's Grantham A3 Victor Wild at rest with the 0730 Grantham- Kings Cross, while a nearly new local 9F nears the end of its journey with coal empties from Ferme Park. We shall now follow the 9F on its passage through the station. This involved about five different sets of lighting conditions, and was quite a challenge.

post-98-0-92090600-1328287618_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60223900-1328287669_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-37770400-1328287729_thumb.jpg

In that forest of signals at the North end it's hard to see which one governs the route, but that one clear arm does in fact give the road for New England empties yard.

post-98-0-44914000-1328287929_thumb.jpg

which is why in this view the loco appears to be about to pass a signal at danger!

post-98-0-43130100-1328288042_thumb.jpg

Local B1 now takes a class F on its way to Ferme Park.

post-98-0-39431000-1328288143_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-14978700-1328288220_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-69198100-1328288356_thumb.jpg

This is Doncaster's A3 Diamond Jubilee with a duty which won't have taxed the fireman. The 0550 KX - Grantham stopped just about everywhere it was possible to stop en route.

post-98-0-25716300-1328288719_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-26591000-1328288890_thumb.jpg

I can never decide whether I prefer A3's as built or with the double kylchap. I'm happy with either though, but for me the next addition was one too many.

• Like 13

Hmm 'the next addition' curiously 75% of my A3's have those, as I model 59 - 61. I know what you mean though - it was quite something to look at when I first saw them. And of course modelling a slightly later period than yourself means I'm denied single chimney A3's

Layout's looking really great though!

Edited by davidw
  • Like 2

Hi Great Northern,

Your layout has really inspired me to stick with 16.5mm gauge. The trackwork on your layout is top notch. Forget about the B1 on a class F freight or whatever it was, just look at that three-way point and how it flows into what appears to be a double slip to the right of the loco!

Colin

• Like 2

I'm not being negative here, you undrerstand. I always click on this thread whenever anything is added and am disappointed if there are no new photos.

BUT: Do none of your drivers ever complain about that signal which is half way on and half way off? The one to the right on the last pic of the 9F?

I'd hate to see any of your stock in an accident...........

• RMweb Premium

I'm not being negative here, you undrerstand. I always click on this thread whenever anything is added and am disappointed if there are no new photos.

BUT: Do none of your drivers ever complain about that signal which is half way on and half way off? The one to the right on the last pic of the 9F?

I'd hate to see any of your stock in an accident...........

Sorry Jeff,

Like so much of this project the signalling is unfinished, as we still haven't decided how to work it. That means I just have activating wires hanging under the baseboard, and though I've tried to persuade every arm to behave, one or two just won't. I'll try again though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Dunno about the signals - I'm still waiting to be able to stand on a proper platform for my train spotting instead of having to stumble over ruddy great cardboard barricades to get to a decent spot. It's a good job some lucky beggar managed to work Lineside Photographic Permits for himself and some of his mates :D.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Dunno about the signals - I'm still waiting to be able to stand on a proper platform for my train spotting instead of having to stumble over ruddy great cardboard barricades to get to a decent spot. It's a good job some lucky beggar managed to work Lineside Photographic Permits for himself and some of his mates :D.

Well, as it happens, two very nice men knocked on my door the other day and told me my drive needs another coat of tarmac. Only quoted £25000 for the job too. Perhaps I could get them to do the platforms while they are here? On the other hand I could wait for Gravy Train's imminent visit and let him have the job. I was a bit puzzled as to why I'd need tarmac when my drive has block paving. :scratch_one-s_head_mini: And I suppose you'll want a Refreshment room next? And platform seats probably. :rolleyes_mini:

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Well, as it happens, two very nice men knocked on my door the other day and told me my drive needs another coat of tarmac. Only quoted £25000 for the job too. Perhaps I could get them to do the platforms while they are here? On the other hand I could wait for Gravy Train's imminent visit and let him have the job. I was a bit puzzled as to why I'd need tarmac when my drive has block paving. :scratch_one-s_head_mini: And I suppose you'll want a Refreshment room next? And platform seats probably. :rolleyes_mini:

But of course - although the odd 4 wheel barrow would be just as good as the seats if it's the right type. The buffet is a good idea - definitely approved.

But of course - although the odd 4 wheel barrow would be just as good as the seats if it's the right type. The buffet is a good idea - definitely approved.

Ah yes, the buffet. What about those square fruit pies ? So long ago now, I can't remember who made them !

gresley

• Like 1

On Wednesday, work gave me the opportunity to sample the delights of Bootle. :rolleyes_mini: Unfortunately, I couldn't find them, unless it was that sign saying " You are now leaving Bootle". I'm getting a bit too old to be getting up at 0515 and driving 250 miles in about seven hours, so yesterday was a day of rest. Today though it's back to the layout, and to prove it here are some more pics.

post-98-0-49113600-1328287297_thumb.jpg

Here's Grantham A3 Victor Wild at rest with the 0730 Grantham- Kings Cross, while a nearly new local 9F nears the end of its journey with coal empties from Ferme Park. We shall now follow the 9F on its passage through the station. This involved about five different sets of lighting conditions, and was quite a challenge.

post-98-0-92090600-1328287618_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60223900-1328287669_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-37770400-1328287729_thumb.jpg

In that forest of signals at the North end it's hard to see which one governs the route, but that one clear arm does in fact give the road for New England empties yard.

post-98-0-44914000-1328287929_thumb.jpg

which is why in this view the loco appears to be about to pass a signal at danger!

post-98-0-43130100-1328288042_thumb.jpg

Local B1 now takes a class F on its way to Ferme Park.

post-98-0-39431000-1328288143_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-14978700-1328288220_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-69198100-1328288356_thumb.jpg

This is Doncaster's A3 Diamond Jubilee with a duty which won't have taxed the fireman. The 0550 KX - Grantham stopped just about everywhere it was possible to stop en route.

post-98-0-25716300-1328288719_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-26591000-1328288890_thumb.jpg

I can never decide whether I prefer A3's as built or with the double kylchap. I'm happy with either though, but for me the next addition was one too many.

IMO the original single chimneys looked the best. Typical Gresley design, functional AND aesthetic. OK, so the A3s and A4s performed better with the double chimney, but just didn't look right. I'm sure that had Gresley still been in charge, he would have solved that problem in a more "artistic" manner.

gresley

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm... barrows, four wheeled- shove ha'penny for the use of. Also supplied with many splinters, tearing school uniform trousers for the use of. Lyons Individual fruit pies, lovely, but haven't been made since 1968. :sad_mini: No point in having the buffet then really, is there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, the buffet. What about those square fruit pies ? So long ago now, I can't remember who made them !

gresley

Were they Hartleys/Hales (something like that?) Individual Fruit Pies?

Oh yes Gt Nthn I have some nice pics of your gaff in my latest book; No 43 Steam Memories 1950s - 1960s

East Coast Main Line: 2 Peterborough to Retford (Booklaw).

I just can't wait for the open day for charity event that will mark the completion (more or less) of this magnificent layout.

P @36E

• Like 2

On Wednesday, work gave me the opportunity to sample the delights of Bootle. :rolleyes_mini: Unfortunately, I couldn't find them, unless it was that sign saying " You are now leaving Bootle". I'm getting a bit too old to be getting up at 0515 and driving 250 miles in about seven hours, so yesterday was a day of rest.

Ah, yes, the "delights" of Bootle! I travel an hour each way every day from Rural Cheshire to work in Bootle. The contrast between the two places couldnt be greater! You weren't there to visit a certain Bank were you??

The layout is looking great. The latest set of photos show how realistic it is already. I can only imagine what it will be like when it's finished!

Edited by Adrock

• RMweb Gold

My bank used to be in Bootle - The National Girobank it was called when it started in 1968, and I was a very early customer. Then it became part of Alliance and Leicester - you know, one of those Building Societies that decided it was much more fun to be a bank than a mutual, like Northern Rock - and now its owned by some foreign lot called Santander. I think my last UK tax office was also in Bootle - Stanley Precinct?

• Like 2

gresley

I seem to remember "Lyons" being one brand?

Apricot, or blackberry and apple?

• RMweb Premium

Ah, yes, the "delights" of Bootle! I travel an hour each way every day from Rural Cheshire to work in Bootle. The contrast between the two places couldnt be greater! You weren't there to visit a certain Bank were you??

The layout is looking great. The latest set of photos show how realistic it is already. I can only imagine what it will be like when it's finished!

I was there to try to persuade the local Magistrates not to be too hard on one of my clients, with some success. I apologise to those who may have been offended by my somewhat tongue in cheek comments about Bootle. One should not make judgments based on such a short acquaintance with a place.

As to the layout, it needs the eye of faith at the moment to see how it may all come together, but with Gravy Train's assistance I know it will. Operationally it is already doing what it was designed to do, and on days like today when I compare the working conditions with those that I would have to cope with in the loft I become ever more convinced that tearing the old layout up was the right thing to do.

• RMweb Premium

I'm with you Gilbert. Lyons individual pies. The apple ones in green boxes, had a few of those in my school lunch box and spotting rucksack.

I was surprised when I tried Googling . I got no further than "Lyons Individual" and up came a load of hits. They are obviously well remembered and most people myself included found them very tasty. i think one site said there were 14 fillings. :O Apricot was my favourite. :D Modelling 4mm size versions would be a bit fiddly though.

• Like 1

Gilbert,

Forgive me for what might be a stupid posting, but in the early 80's I used to travel to and from Stamford (boarding school) and York (home) via Peterborough. The Stamford service used to use an outer platform and I'm having a little difficulty orientating myself as to which platform that would be on your layout.

Kev

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Forgive me for what might be a stupid posting, but in the early 80's I used to travel to and from Stamford (boarding school) and York (home) via Peterborough. The Stamford service used to use an outer platform and I'm having a little difficulty orientating myself as to which platform that would be on your layout.

Kev

You would Kev, as the station you were using is very different to the one I am modelling, which was all swept away in the late'60's and early '70's. I think that the corresponding place to where the outer face of the Down island platform is now would be roughly where the Down goods is on my layout. I recall reading that one of the reasons given for the remodelling of the station taking so long to happen ( it was first mooted in 1910) was that it couldn't be done without encroaching on the Midland lines, and the Midland and then the LMS weren't helpful. Apparently though in the end the job was done without straying outside the bounds of the original GN lands! it's much more efficient now, but all very clinical and lacking in atmosphere. There was plenty of that under that old overall roof.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

I was surprised when I tried Googling . I got no further than "Lyons Individual" and up came a load of hits. They are obviously well remembered and most people myself included found them very tasty. i think one site said there were 14 fillings. :O Apricot was my favourite. :D Modelling 4mm size versions would be a bit fiddly though.

Fiddly, but possible ;)

Back on topic - some fantastic atmosphere in those latest pictures, the flow of the trackwork looks so right - I can see that it is a 'real' place even though the 'new' Peterborough is all I've known on my travels.

http://www.vectorcut...cessoriesHO.htm - Burgers, hot dogs, bagels & doughnuts - no pies though!

(Edited for shocking grammar!)

Edited by dseagull
  • Like 2

You would Kev, as the station you were using is very different to the one I am modelling, which was all swept away in the late'60's and early '70's. I think that the corresponding place to where the outer face of the Down island platform is now would be roughly where the Down goods is on my layout. I recall reading that one of the reasons given for the remodelling of the station taking so long to happen ( it was first mooted in 1910) was that it couldn't be done without encroaching on the Midland lines, and the Midland and then the LMS weren't helpful. Apparently though in the end the job was done without straying outside the bounds of the original GN lands! it's much more efficient now, but all very clinical and lacking in atmosphere. There was plenty of that under that old overall roof.

Much of it changing again over the next couple of years, extra platforms, etc. Desperately needed in my opinion.

The current layout sees northbound east coast services sharing platforms with the cross country stuff and Ipswich terminator.

Then the joint line terminator has to share platforms with southbound east coast services and FCC terminators. If something goes awry it quickly gets very congested.

I was there to try to persuade the local Magistrates not to be too hard on one of my clients, with some success.

If the Bench is anything like it used to be, said recidivist should have achieved the same success defending himself, so I'd remove that notch from your bed post :D