Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Don't suppose the brake might be carrying 'special' stuff like used bank notes? I have a vague idea that there was a place in Peterboro' that used to 'recycle' these (burn them?). Could also be a 'cripple' having to be parked?

The A4 is defo in reverse gear as confirmed above. Is it waiting for the pegged express to pass through before trundling back up to the yards? Is it possible it came up from the yards north of the station to this position (or is that not a possibility?), having dumped some other stuff and then had to place this particular coach somewhere more secure?

Alternatively it could be a footex with all the Boro' fans being carted off to some fixture? Only the best stock for footex :nono:

Do love these mysteries; someone on the LNER Forum will know the answer :scratchhead:

P @ 36E

It could get to and from the yards without using the Up main Phil, but it wouldn't need to come this far in order to set back into another road. There is also the question of the class B headcode, though of course some people do fail to get that right. :P I can assure you though that I wasn't at Peterborough that day.

• Like 1

You'll be thinking of Pete Goss's excellent Rowlands Castle (if you know the village you'll understand just how good it is).

Pete produces the figures commercially too - http://www.freewebs....figuresinfo.htm & http://www.freewebs..../apps/webstore/

I had the pleasure of seeing Rowlands Castle last month at Model Rail Scotland and I was blown away by it. The Pete Goss figures were some of the best I've seen.

Hi,

You are correct re Pete Goss figures they are indeed very good quality.

I think I am with Gilbert on this one,,were the figures need to be correctly posed perhaps seated,stood adjacent to something or someone and maybe not in mid sprint,i guess its a personal thing :-)

A few years ago I commissioned Karen Rush of "Karen Rush ART Studios" I got her todo Eric Treacey in 4mm scale for Carlisle complete with tripod and I kid you not she produced a model of him to exacting likesness and had to be seen to be believed, he had all the facial features,expressions. he was to be standing on the Victoria rd bridge Carlisle taking a photo so he wouldn't be moving very much.

I guess what I mean to say is that like with locomotives, buildings and the like you can also have state of the art figures to but at a price.:-)

cheers

Peter

• Like 1

Regarding Tim's photograph - a thought occurred to me .

In the section "Some Passenger Tank Engines" of the book Memories of LNER Steam (Raymond Keeley), there is a photograph (dated 6th August, 1956) of C12 tank no.67376 carrying out station pilot duties at Peterborough North, and it is shown passing the signalbox.

It has the correct lamps for station pilot duties, but crucially is doing a similar thing to the A4 in pulling a single bogie coach (a Gresley full brake I think).

Is it beyond the realms of fantasy to think that an A4 Pacific might have been pressed into action for such a task, if the normal station pilot had failed in some way?

It was not, I thought, out of the ordinary to see Pacifics on station pilot duties in some areas at specific times (60113's time at Grantham springs to mind), so could this be an example of an A4 carrying out such duties - albeit I note, without the correct lamps in place?

• Like 4

Obviously some sheds would keep their Standby Pacific in steam and use it on Station Pilot duties,however the Darlington Pacific usually seems to have sat in a siding looking " Bootifull" all day. I expect their were reasons, I know for example that Mr Townend tells a story of a Pacific (A1 I believe),that was rough riding and needed calling into works, however the powers that be said it should be used for one more day and would then be called in to works. Its duty for that Day (On Paper -at Least ) was Shed Pilot @ 34A.

Regards,Derek.

• Like 2

Is it beyond the realms of fantasy to think that an A4 Pacific might have been pressed into action for such a task, if the normal station pilot had failed in some way?

It's quite plausible - I suspect it was hen like it is now, staff will do what they can do (within the rules) to get the job done.

Edited by James
  • Like 1

I'd say the A4 and BG are signalled away from Peterborough. Crescent Junction 64 distant is off. This would have required a 'line clear' from Fletton Junction. All the stop signals in the section to there would be off. I believe 64 could only be cleared to the up fast, not to the up goods or to Nene Junction. This short train was heading south and not shunting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There is no doubt that train engines, even Pacifics, carried out shunting manoeuvres. I've seen photos of Pacifics reversing stock into the carriage sidings at Grantham, and I strongly suspect that the same happened at Peterborough. Line occupancy was such that I doubt that it was possible to allow the loco off a terminating "Parly" from Kings Cross to detach and run light to New England and then for a pilot to reverse the stock down to the Nene carriage sidings. Much easier for the train engine to do it, and most likely it would avoid the pilot blocking the main line too. Having said that, I also have a photo of an Immingham B1 allegedly removing a van from the front of its train, said to be a KX - Cleethorpes express, and depositing it in the sidings by the old engine shed. If that caption is right, that loco has to detach the van, pull forward, reverse across the North end crossover, go forward again onto the engine road, reverse to a siding, detach van, then perform all those moves again in reverse order to get back on its train! All that would have had to be done within the five minutes allowed by the WTT for the station stop, and block the Up main twice. I'm slightly dubious about the caption, as the loco has Class B lamp, whereas the KX - Cleethorpes trains generally ran under open lights. The WTT does not show the train becoming Class B from Peterborough. Having said that, if the loco was on an East Lincs ordinary passenger duty it would be starting from North, so no need to detach anything.

I'm not sure where this leaves us. I think we all agree that Pacifics did carry out "humble" movements which one might think to be beneath their dignity, and as Cutler says some dodgy accounting practices occasionally took place on paper to get locos in for works attention, but I doubt 29 was acting as station pilot. If it was then clearly wrong lamps were being displayed right under the eyes of the signalman in North box, who would have put a stop to it immediately There were according to what I have read three pilots on duty at North station at least during daytime, so it's very unlikely that things got to such a pass that an A4 was needed. There would in any event have been many more suitable engines a mile down the line at New England that could have been called upon. It is most likely I think that 29 was either removing that full brake from a train, or about to attach it to one, but as it must have been an Up train the problems I have previously mentioned still have to be taken into account.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Obviously some sheds would keep their Standby Pacific in steam and use it on Station Pilot duties,however the Darlington Pacific usually seems to have sat in a siding looking " Bootifull" all day. I expect their were reasons, I know for example that Mr Townend tells a story of a Pacific (A1 I believe),that was rough riding and needed calling into works, however the powers that be said it should be used for one more day and would then be called in to works. Its duty for that Day (On Paper -at Least ) was Shed Pilot @ 34A.

Regards,Derek.

The main line pilot at Peterborough was always a V2 Derek, as a Pacific would not fit onto the turntable by the old engine shed, so one would expect that loco to be pressed into service in an emergency. I haven't room to include that turntable by the way - it would be somewhere in the operating well!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd say the A4 and BG are signalled away from Peterborough. Crescent Junction 64 distant is off. This would have required a 'line clear' from Fletton Junction. All the stop signals in the section to there would be off. I believe 64 could only be cleared to the up fast, not to the up goods or to Nene Junction. This short train was heading south and not shunting.

That's what I first thought, but the A4 is on the road running parallel to the Up main, so i don't think that clear signal could relate to it. You know much more about such things though Richard, so I'm not going to be categorical about it.

• Like 1

That's what I first thought, but the A4 is on the road running parallel to the Up main, so i don't think that clear signal could relate to it. You know much more about such things though Richard, so I'm not going to be categorical about it.

Oops I will confess to only having a quick look at the photo. The A4 and BG are in Carriage Siding No1 and standing on the toes of 26 slip.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

You are correct re Pete Goss figures they are indeed very good quality.

I think I am with Gilbert on this one,,were the figures need to be correctly posed perhaps seated,stood adjacent to something or someone and maybe not in mid sprint,i guess its a personal thing :-)

A few years ago I commissioned Karen Rush of "Karen Rush ART Studios" I got her todo Eric Treacey in 4mm scale for Carlisle complete with tripod and I kid you not she produced a model of him to exacting likesness and had to be seen to be believed, he had all the facial features,expressions. he was to be standing on the Victoria rd bridge Carlisle taking a photo so he wouldn't be moving very much.

I guess what I mean to say is that like with locomotives, buildings and the like you can also have state of the art figures to but at a price.:-)

cheers

Peter

I recall that David Jenkinson portrayed Eric Treacy on Garsdale Road as well.

It is indeed wonderful what some (a very few!) modellers can do by way of carving figures like this, even in the smaller scales. But no matter how good the carving and subsequent moulding, they won't look right unless they are painted right. Military modellers seem to be still a step ahead of railway modellers in this field but that is partly because they are used to making static models and can paint in ways that are really a "trick of the light".

• Like 1

The main line pilot at Peterborough was always a V2 Derek, as a Pacific would not fit onto the turntable by the old engine shed, so one would expect that loco to be pressed into service in an emergency. I haven't room to include that turntable by the way - it would be somewhere in the operating well!

Sorry Gilbert I did not make myself clear,it was a generalization. In fact as you quite rightly say 34E used the V2 and in fact had at least one Double Chimney example,although possibly more ?

That Bl**** Memory.

Now where did I put it?

Regards,Derek.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday was spent in the company of Shakespeare. No, not the Bard, nor even 70004. It was Dave "Tetley's" Shakespeare. It took us little more than an hour to agree (yet again) that "it wasn't like this in our day", and after a further shortish whinge from Dave about the cost of good quality birch ply and some bacon butties we spent a couple of hours running some trains, or rather I ran them and he watched. No problem in convincing him as to the merits of DCC, but alas the cost side of it outweighed the benefits. Anyway, I did point the camera at a couple of things, so here are the results.

post-98-0-99332800-1331304440_thumb.jpg

I know some people like two, or more, for the price of one, and I always try to keep on the right side of the "friends of Edward Thompson" :jester: so here we have Mons Meg on a Down Leeds relief, Sir Vincent Raven in the bay waiting to take over a train, but not this one, and Brancepeth Castle in the loco yard.

post-98-0-09056800-1331304651_thumb.jpg

Just a different, though not very successful view.

post-98-0-80728600-1331304758_thumb.jpg

On the Up, we then see a Craigentinny - Ferme Park Class C behind a typically turned out local V2. This loco normally runs like a bag of nails, and I told Dave that it did. So why did it run smooth as silk today?

post-98-0-03397000-1331304969_thumb.jpg

And here is what the A1 has been waiting for - Mallard with the Down Heart of Midlothian. Six minutes were allowed to change engines, after which 60126 will head for home.

I shall now head out for some fresh air, as it's getting a bit tedious being cooped up inside nearly all the time. I'll post today's happenings a bit later.

• Like 13

Magnificent as always.

Couple of questions:

Is the V2 Bachmann - from that angle it looks passable if it is?

And has Mons Meg 's smoke box number had a knock or is it a trick of the light?

• RMweb Premium

I see the 'old bags' have smartened themselves up. Station master must have had a word....... :nono:

Re the passenger thing; I've been mulling that over and at P North most would have been hidden by the canopies; excellent news!!!!

So just some careful work for a spotter or two and a few staff plus the odd rogue civilian rushing to get in the front coaches going 'up' (saves a walk at the Cross).

Luvverly pics again. I used my special pen to underline 'Mallard' today!

P @ 36E

<snip>

Looks like a partial peeler to me. Nothing a bit of acrylic varnish can't sort out ;). One for next month Gilbert?

• RMweb Premium

Excellent photos once again. Is the Cravens ready to go on an all stations stopper to Boston?

It will form the 2.33pm to Grimsby - that's what the WTT says. It's another strange thing. All the other DMU duties except this one went only as far as Boston or Louth, the Grimsby/Cleethorpes trains being still almost exclusively steam hauled.

• RMweb Premium

Looks like a partial peeler to me. Nothing a bit of acrylic varnish can't sort out ;). One for next month Gilbert?

I'm not sure what's happened Tim, but yes I'd be grateful if you would see what you think. It's just gone a bit opaque.

Edited by great northern

• RMweb Premium

I see the 'old bags' have smartened themselves up. Station master must have had a word....... :nono:

Re the passenger thing; I've been mulling that over and at P North most would have been hidden by the canopies; excellent news!!!!

So just some careful work for a spotter or two and a few staff plus the odd rogue civilian rushing to get in the front coaches going 'up' (saves a walk at the Cross).

Luvverly pics again. I used my special pen to underline 'Mallard' today!

P @ 36E

The old bags seem to be "going straight" of their own accord - I haven't done anything to them. Hopefully they will continue until they dangle convincingly. I bought a large bag of fairly basic figures at a very reasonable price at Spalding exhibition, the idea being that they will indeed be under the roof where they can't be too closely examined. I also have some Preiser figures from the old layout. I know they are a bit small, but in general they are pretty good. As you say though Phil if I only have a few people out in the open I can spend significant time trying to make them look right.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Magnificent as always.

Couple of questions:

Is the V2 Bachmann - from that angle it looks passable if it is?

Yes, the V2 is Bachmann David, but Ian Rathbone has put a correct chimney and dome on, plus a fixed Cartazzi, closed up the gap between loco and tender and done his usual lovely painting and weathering job. that's why it looks less Bachmann like. As to Meg's smoke box plate, the first number has gone slightly opaque, but it's hardly noticeable to the naked eye, so I think it is indeed largely a trick of the light.

I'm not sure what's happened Tim, but yes I'd be grateful if you would see what you think. It's just gone a bit opaque.

No problem. Judging by the photos (having had a closer look again) it's a common hazard with waterslide number transfers, hence why mine end up having more than just water to aid adhesion.