Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Very nice Gilbert. My preferences are for the second, third and fourth images, regardless of the roof having been eaten away on the third! Nice to see some different angles too :).

It was the sun that ate the roof this time Tim. I don't know how to photoshop back that which has already been removed.

• RMweb Premium

Forgive my complete ignorance of signalling matters north of the Thames - and relative ignorance to the south! - but the near signal in the final shot appears to be all things to all trains.

It's two signals Ian, but as one is directly behind the other one gets this effect. Having said that, there is a signal at the other end that has just had arms added on serving both directions, exactly as this image seems to show.

• Like 2

Forgive my complete ignorance of signalling matters north of the Thames - and relative ignorance to the south! - but the near signal in the final shot appears to be all things to all trains.

I think OD that the Peterborough North cameraman got so excited at the sight of a remotely clean Thompson pacific that he didn't spot the fact that he'd camera-framed two different signal posts in perfect alignment :swoon:

When playing golf Phil, one uses one ball at at a time. It is struck, and flies in a graceful arc either into an impenetrable jungle imported specially from the Amazon rain forest, or into a lake or pond, after which one uses foul and blasphemous langauge and reaches into the bag for another...... This is called "enjoyment". :ireful:

Sorry to go off topic GN but that is the most brilliant description of the confounded game I think I've ever read :sarcastic: There was a time when I was persuaded to cart a bag of sticks around a large field punctuated by small holes but I never got on with it too well. To have hit a ball in a graceful arc would have been something. As a slight link to a discussion on the previous page however, I did once play on what I was told was a former colliery in North Nottinghamshire called 'Ormonde Fields'. Rather an inspiring name I thought!

I have now swapped for a sport that involves 2 sticks (not one) at a time and no balls. Together with two planks of wood strapped to one's feet and a gravitationally challenged, snow covered field, I seem to get on rather better in this configuration.

Great pics, as always.

Edited by LNER4479
  • Like 4

Is it really five days since I posted any photos? So much for shot of the day. Anyway, here's a few to make up for it. I thought it best to choose a nice non controversial subject after such a delay, we don't want anything that might cause dissent and upheaval, do we? :no: Right, so here is a Thompson Pacific arriving on the 4.20pm Doncaster-KX. :whistle:

post-98-0-09178700-1354898257_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-51281300-1354898320_thumb.jpg

I think they look best in three quarter rear view, and that's not because they are about to go away. :biggrin_mini2: This also shows the effectiveness of Klear very well.

post-98-0-94452300-1354898494_thumb.jpg

I may have found. at last, an advantage to be gained from bright December sun. I just thought I would try this view, and look what I got. :O I can't remember getting a result like this from the operating well side before, or not without aditional lighting anyway.

post-98-0-31702300-1354898766_thumb.jpg

This one didn't turn out too badly either, and needed very little photoshopping.

post-98-0-13242200-1354898893_thumb.jpg

So I tried to get a new angle as well. This is looking from somewhere around the District Engineer's yard. And here is the disadvantage of the sun again. It removed a fair bit of the signals without any help from my hamfisted photoshopping. Quite a nice general view though?

Love the 2nd shot!

Tim, can I be ar*ed to go and see the Deltic today & Hall and an A4 at Lincoln tomorrow? Sadly no as I have to clean up a flood caused by plonkers at the Youth Centre last evening I'm a lazy bloke. :threaten: :sarcastichand:

That's alright Phil, you didn't miss much by not getting up off your derrière.... ;).

poooh; I'd rather shave my legs! xD

That, Phil, is a very disturbing vision indeed...... Best not done in public (or in miniature!).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

G, the 2nd and 4th pic are lovely; the second shows the loco in a superb light and I can just hear that 'rods in coasting mode' sound resonating around the gloom of that train shed.

In pic 4 I can also see the breakdown-train through a crack in the old shed door. It looks fantastic and I love the detail, especially the mess coach and tool van. The little chalked comment on the end of latter stating "the only tool left in this van overnight is the gaffer ganger" is particularly funny. :haha:

Tim, 09 certainly looks very good indeed. Don't suppose you came up to Newark to see the Hall scraping all the line-side fittings with its cylinders?

Apologies to all those that I disturbed with the comment about leg shaving. I only do that when I'm bored and certainly never in public, so don't worry. :spiteful: The resulting bits are used as 'static grass' .

LNER 4479. Does one have to be a colleague of Hitler (as the marching song Colonel Bogy intimates) to ski then? :blackeye:

Finally, I rather like the new title manic Mallard :crazy: I think I shall adopt that and have a badge made to amuse the locals. :taunt:

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Smashing photos of Sun Castle Gilbert. Not only were they taken at "spot on" angles but it was good to see you running a clean Thompson pacific which really makes it stand out. Lovely work and I look forward to seeing more of the trains, whether they be on goods or passenger workings running through the station.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see the crowds are gathering under the 'shed'. I think the bloke on the right at the London end, with two cases, is particularly realistic.

Gilbert, 'shopped' or not etc. we love your pics and want to see locos, loads and loads of them please as our spotters' books are looking a bit bare. In mine there is not one WR or SR loco underlined and I don't know what to do about that. Perhaps I should go and visit 'A Nod to Brent' and' Treneglos' (is that how it is spelt)? Where else could I go (careful.............)?

That D127 Van is nice. Is it a Chivers, a Comet + bits jobby, or some other breed?

Also, is that a tree I spy behind the Thomson Brake on the 'Parly'?

P @ 36E

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

OK, I'll have a go at the rest, and hope that the gremlins have found something better to do. That 4F has been hastened on its way down to East station, leaving the Up main free for the stately passage of another prestige train, the Queen of Scots.

post-98-0-06486500-1355165366_thumb.jpg

Yet another of these views that I keep attempting, as the train rolls under Spital bridge and towards the station. As the glare from the windows has already removed some of the signals I made no attempt to put a sky behind this and remove still more.

post-98-0-23435100-1355165551_thumb.jpg

The view from the Down side shows off not just the A1 and its Pullman cars, but quite a lot of lattice post signals, each one of which has been carefully photoshopped. Why do I do this? :scratchhead: post-98-0-78473600-1355165759_thumb.jpg

Finally, the essential front view for the spotters. Bois Roussel to save them looking it up. About as common as Minoru....

Hang on there's another one somewhere, and I spent ages shopping that too. Oh, I see the ****** PC has hidden it :angry: I won though. Just another similar shot, but showing more lovely Pullman cars. And now I remember why I wasn't going to post this one. I didn't notice the peculiar angle of the second car until too late. Caused by two corridor connectors snagging slightly, and put right on the head on shot.

post-98-0-15295300-1355166076_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Good evening Gilbert

Nice set of photo's, I do not know why but I have always liked the look of the pacific's in a going away shot.

And your second photo of the Queen of Scots Pullman confirms that all the more to me.

Please keep them coming.

Regards

David

OK, I'll have a go at the rest, and hope that the gremlins have found something better to do. That 4F has been hastened on its way down to East station, leaving the Up main free for the stately passage of another prestige train, the Queen of Scots.

post-98-0-06486500-1355165366_thumb.jpg

Yet another of these views that I keep attempting, as the train rolls under Spital bridge and towards the station. As the glare from the windows has already removed some of the signals I made no attempt to put a sky behind this and remove still more.

post-98-0-23435100-1355165551_thumb.jpg

The view from the Down side shows off not just the A1 and its Pullman cars, but quite a lot of lattice post signals, each one of which has been carefully photoshopped. Why do I do this? :scratchhead: post-98-0-78473600-1355165759_thumb.jpg

Finally, the essential front view for the spotters. Bois Roussel to save them looking it up. About as common as Minoru....

Hang on there's another one somewhere, and I spent ages shopping that too. Oh, I see the ****** PC has hidden it :angry: I won though. Just another similar shot, but showing more lovely Pullman cars. And now I remember why I wasn't going to post this one. I didn't notice the peculiar angle of the second car until too late. Caused by two corridor connectors snagging slightly, and put right on the head on shot.

post-98-0-15295300-1355166076_thumb.jpg

Completely agree with agree with David (Landscapes). Those shots of the pullman are brill! Remind me please who did them - they look like 1928 cars.

David (the other one :D)

Edited by davidw

My but the East Coast Pacifics - all of them - were lovely. Oh to be able to spend one of those lazy summer Saturdays - way back in 1958 - once again; just watching that seemingly never ending procession of trains. Alas we shall not see days the like of those, ever again. Which is why this layout is so evocative and such a wonderful reminder of those days now long gone and so sadly missed.

Cheers

Mike

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I really liked the 'going away' shot of the 4F, it's just so ordinary - the real thing was just so, totally ordinary.... a mundane loco doing a daily job, so therefore I consider the photo an excellently realistic rendition. Not the rare, exotic or unusual, the railways I recall (rather more recent than P'boro represents I admit) were seldom that.

Love it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I see the crowds are gathering under the 'shed'. I think the bloke on the right at the London end, with two cases, is particularly realistic.

Gilbert, 'shopped' or not etc. we love your pics and want to see locos, loads and loads of them please as our spotters' books are looking a bit bare. In mine there is not one WR or SR loco underlined and I don't know what to do about that. Perhaps I should go and visit 'A Nod to Brent' and' Treneglos' (is that how it is spelt)? Where else could I go (careful.............)?

That D127 Van is nice. Is it a Chivers, a Comet + bits jobby, or some other breed?

Also, is that a tree I spy behind the Thomson Brake on the 'Parly'?

P @ 36E

The van is indeed Comet sides and other bits, Phil, and it is proving to be very useful. And yes also, there is a tree, in fact three of them. I've decided that area the other side of the bridge needs to be part of the modelled area, and there were some quite large trees in the background back then, which is going to be an advantage. Crescent Junction signal box will also be in place eventually - Peter should enjoy that, he likes building signal boxes - and the old Midland Crescent station too, which will fill in that otherwise bare corner nicely.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Completely agree with agree with David (Landscapes). Those shots of the pullman are brill! Remind me please who did them - they look like 1928 cars.

David (the other one :D)

The first car is Golden Age David, I couldn't resist one, but I can't afford more. The rest are the old Hornby cars, the ones now in the Railroad range, with replacement brass sides, and correct bogies, all of which makes a big difference. Those cars aren't that far off really though as they come out of the box, if you get rid of the silver roof, paint the interior, and lower the ride height.

• Like 1