RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Re V2 .

Is this the new chassis version ? I presume it has been worked on ? new dome , ashpan lever are obvious additions ?.

Lovely pictures as usual.

Yes, it's the new one Mick, and it has been "Timmed". For those not familiar with this -to "Tim" - verb  -  materially to alter by cutting filing, replacing, cursing, repainting and renumbering. It did feature on here not so long ago when first deilvered, but is now no doubt buried many pages back. How he did it is in his thread. Note lack of split infinitive above. TW might read this.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Lovely V2 shots.

Has anyone else like me been afflicted with a bug called Photographic Tonyius Wrightitis?

It means that every time I look at a photo of a model puffer, the first thing I do is check for correct lamps and whether the loco valve gear is correctly set in forward-mid-back as appropriate.

I know some of you have it too, as there was an outbreak of spotting missing pipes not long ago...

cheers Tony, we've never met and yet I'll never be the same again! :D

(that's not a bad thing)

Yes, I've got a bit of that, but it is selective. :biggrin_mini2:

• Like 1

Yes, it's the new one Mick, and it has been "Timmed". For those not familiar with this -to "Tim" - verb  -  materially to alter by cutting filing, replacing, cursing, repainting and renumbering. It did feature on here not so long ago when first deilvered, but is now no doubt buried many pages back. How he did it is in his thread. Note lack of split infinitive above. TW might read this.

I've never seen myself used as a verb before!  I ought to point out that I merely posted in the V2 thread here and here instead of doing a new topic, though there is a link at the bottom of the last page to images of it when finally finished. :)

Looking nice "at home" there Gilbert. I do wonder if there may one day be more friends to join it :secret: .

• Like 1

attachicon.gif139 3.jpg

How about this for an achievement? Just about everything is in focus.....except for the locomotive. :blush:  Not many people can do things like that, you know.

I think you do yourself a disservice; this image immediately caught my eye precisely because it was *not* so loco-centric. I love the focus on other parts of the scene - really refreshing and a beautiful shot of some great modelling.

Paul

PS: I actually admire all your photos, so don't take this post as a criticism of your usual style!

• Like 6

I like your shots while experimenting with new angles and telephoto settings. So long as there is something firm to rest the camera on, shutter speed isn't important but aperture is when it comes to taking photos on a layout. The aperture needs to be f16 or f32 etc for increased 'apparent' depth of focus and I'm sure it shoud be possible to get the locomotive and background bridge in acceptable focus in shot No.2. I wondered what the Canon camera's minimum aperture is.

Gilbert,

I know we are meeting up tomorrow at my place when I could have told you but I thought I'd go 'public' and say that whilst your post has always been a magnet it has now become a surrogate layout for my own (as I'm sure it is with many followers on RMWeb) late layout, it somehow doesn't seem so bad to give up my own creative plans when I can take a regular 'quality layout fix'.

You have unwittingly created a service industry, just take care that the Government don't step in to 'improve it' and cock it all up.

Dave

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Splendid sentiments Dave. Gilbert's services are always interesting :mail:

Love the first and last shots and quite like the others as well. Incidentally, dust makes for quite good 'weathering' (well that's my excuse).

I'm now waiting for the O2 to appear later in the year decade :nono:

P

Gilbert,

I know we are meeting up tomorrow at my place when I could have told you but I thought I'd go 'public' and say that whilst your post has always been a magnet it has now become a surrogate layout for my own (as I'm sure it is with many followers on RMWeb) late layout, it somehow doesn't seem so bad to give up my own creative plans when I can take a regular 'quality layout fix'.

You have unwittingly created a service industry, just take care that the Government don't step in to 'improve it' and cock it all up.

Dave

Beware you don't get privatised!

• RMweb Premium

I like your shots while experimenting with new angles and telephoto settings. So long as there is something firm to rest the camera on, shutter speed isn't important but aperture is when it comes to taking photos on a layout. The aperture needs to be f16 or f32 etc for increased 'apparent' depth of focus and I'm sure it shoud be possible to get the locomotive and background bridge in acceptable focus in shot No.2. I wondered what the Canon camera's minimum aperture is.

F8 is the maximum for the G12 Larry, I'd love to have a bit more, but I really can't complain, as it is a great camera for the money it cost. That second shot required a fair bit of contortion on my part, so I couldn't see the screen as well as I would have liked to check the focus. I agree it could have been done correctly, but I haven't really figured out the zoom function yet. I happened upon some stuff I took with the old camera today, which made me quite happy with the way things have progressed, but I still have a lot to learn.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Dave

It's those EU directives I'm more worried about Dave, like when I get my fish vans, how many fish will I be allowed to put in them? And what sort? Do you think they might impose a maximum locomotive quota too? :O

• Like 2

F8 is the maximum for the G12 Larry, I'd love to have a bit more, but I really can't complain, as it is a great camera for the money it cost. That second shot required a fair bit of contortion on my part, so I couldn't see the screen as well as I would have liked to check the focus. I agree it could have been done correctly, but I haven't really figured out the zoom function yet. I happened upon some stuff I took with the old camera today, which made me quite happy with the way things have progressed, but I still have a lot to learn.

That f8 worries me a bit. I'll do a bit of reading up on that G12 tomorrow. Your picture quality is good enough Gilbert, in fact it is pretty impressive.

• Like 2

I have read the DPReview of the Canon G12 and whilst it gives the maximum apeture (variable according to zoom setting), I could not find reference to the minimum aperture. In olden days with manual aperture rings, this brickwalled at f16 or f22 typically. With automatic AF SLR's this was often extended to f32 and beyond and is current on modern DSLR cameras.

• Like 1

Gilbert, you are correct - F8 is as small as it gets for the G12. There's no way to stop down any further.  The only suggestion I can make to help the focussing, is if you compose the picture a little more zoomed out than what you need, the loco smokebox will be closer to centre frame, and the Auto Focus sensor may lock on that, rather than the bridge. Then, you can crop the picture tighter before you post it here.

Not sure if you remember, but that screen at the back will tilt out, around, and twist up and down into all sorts of wonderful angles to allow you to shoot "remotely". Failing that, a small hand mirror behind the camera to show you what you the screen is seeing may also help!

Loving some of the tightly cropped low shots - good to see you caught Sea Eagle rods down at six o'clock!

Regards

Scott

• Like 2