RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

The Red Arrows are training over my house as I type, I'll get in touch with RAF Scampton and get them to mosey on down to P.North but , today being Valentines day they usually do the 'heart with arrow' routine for us locals and I'm not sure foreigners in Cambridgeshire qualify.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah Dave the synchronisity of RMweb. On a clear day I can, from my rear windows in 36E, see the Arrows practising. Not today sadly as West Burton and Cottam are creating their own little bit of atmospheric decoration.

As for 'The Laird', I am obviously unread, but after all, I am but a Drake. So, educate me further chaps, in 1958, what (planes) might we have seen in the sky over P.N. from Scampton? (Just so Gilbert has some ideas for his back-scenes......)

Quack.

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Look what happens when I go out for the day. :O Aeroplanes, nuclear bombs and  the novels of Sir Walter Scott. We'll be having our own version of Mastermind at this rate. :jester: No nukes here, and I'm not cleaning up the mess from all those birds flying over. Idiot pigeons flying into the windows is bad enough.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Look what happens when I go out for the day. :O Aeroplanes, nuclear bombs and  the novels of Sir Walter Scott. We'll be having our own version of Mastermind at this rate. :jester: No nukes here, and I'm not cleaning up the mess from all those birds flying over. Idiot pigeons flying into the windows is bad enough.

Poor birdies, they only want to look at your layout...............or suggest what might be placed in shot of the day (need to replace  the word 'shot' if talking with pigeons).

As for nukes, I though that is what happened to Peterborough a few years back............. :mosking:

P

• RMweb Premium

As for nukes, I though that is what happened to Peterborough a few years back............. :mosking:

P

That's the Development Corporation for you. Not only did they rip the heart out of the city they demanded redevelopment of the station area. Funny how history repeats itself.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Might look better with ER pattern lamps - those look a bit 'non ER' to me ;)

I agree Mike. Those are Springside's BR lamps, but they really are huge. I've now decided on the LNER type for all new purchases, but I still have plenty of these, and they aren't cheap to replace in the kind of numbers I need. I have two jobs to do to disguise these a bit. The first is to make them nice and dirty, and the other is to file down Bachmann's overscale lamp irons so that they will seat properly. Both though are "round tuit" jobs. Looking at the real thing it is noticeable how crooked the lamps often were, but it is yet another of those things that looks totally wrong on a model, even though it is "right" on the real thing.

• Like 6

Gilbert,

The over-scale lamps have always been a problem but remember how difficult it is just holding and drilling at this size I think the only alternative would be to permanently fix smaller scale lamps in place using super glue and the of course it would then be virtually impossible to alter the head codes. You can't win but at least we are all in the same boat or at least those not modeeling in O, Now there's and idea.

Dave

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I should be careful making comments about lamps, as none of my locos seem to have them....

When I'm more recovered, I must make an expedition up into my garage loft, in which resides an LNER pattern lamp, and measure it up.  Buried under a zillion stock and loco boxes, motorcycle parts, and all the stuff that will come in handy one day,,,,,

• Like 1