Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, stewartingram said:

But the LTS was an ex-Midland line? Would they have been shopped at Derby? Into London, round the NLR and down the MR would be just as easy? No idea, just speculating.

Stewart

Or I think more likely just shopped at Stratford - I've seen pictures of them in the Stratford Repair Shop.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Before or after?

Mainly after - having survived the plunge (from Wikipedia): after rebuilding in 1885, it was the only compound-expansion locomotive on the NBR, and one of just three tandem compounds in Britain.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

It's hard to decide between the J36 and D34 but, on balance, since I rode on Maude's footplate once but only ever saw Glen Douglas in the Glasgow transport museum I'll go for the J36 (even though Maude was built by Neilson's).

• RMweb Premium

Poll opened another can of worms, as I had not considered the question of contractor built locos thoroughly enough.  However, I had earlier specified "designed and /or built at........, so provided that the contractor built engines had first been designed by the railway concerned, they would be included, wouldn't they?

Anyway, we have two possible winners, as there were some alternative votes. It could be D34 by one vote from C11, or it could be a tie between the two.

Today and tomorrow, we will consider the products of the North British Locomotive Company, worldwide. Today, we are looking for the best, their greatest hit, if you like. Tomorrow we will assess their greatest flop, which should be interesting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, jwealleans said:

Is that a horsebox at the end of that row of PMVs, Gilbert?   It looks very bulbous.

Yes, it's a Bachmann one I acquired recently, when I discovered they got tacked on to some of the KX - Grantham stoppers. Is it the camera making it look odd, do you think?

• RMweb Premium

It seems that the North British Loco Co does not engage your interest, so I'd better try something else tomorrow. I forgot your afternoon tea image, so here is a slightly late plonk instead.

1602916061_17box.JPG.f06d42a00221330782e1b9d0f3f4c623.JPG

I really don't know what happened there. This has come out pretty awful, not like it looked when I processed it.

• Like 12
  • Friendly/supportive 5

12 hours ago, great northern said:

North British Locomotive Company, worldwide.

... Oh, but there are so many.

The SAR Class 24, Class 25, and 4E, and the NZR J class get "honourable mentions".

But the real prize needs to go to ... errr .. either the SAR GMAM, or the Victorian R class. No, I can't decide between them, they are both epic in their own way.

And if we don't get tomorrow's poll, for their worst flop, I'll answer it early. Class 41.

Edited by Bloodnok
  • Like 2

G'Day Folks

I've heard about the NBLC, and I know a lot of Indian and South African loco where built there, but I think this is one of the most impressive. Forget about any of there Diesels.

manna

P2181_01.jpg

• Like 7