Peterborough North

great northern

Some of you may recall that a while back Gilbert had a couple of visitors from the West Riding, a photo of one appearing on this thread. Well I have finally got around to putting together some video footage shot on that occasion. Unfortunately, by the time the camera came out the light was failing and the beautiful red sunset did little to enhance things. However, Gilbert has decided to publish and be d****d, so here it is.

http://youtu.be/HySHbTc33Pw

Enchanting the transit of neat English train that you can see in this video.

Final sound goods with a long series of short floats that remind me so much of the parades of almost 50 wagons type "F" for towing a FS E.626 on Calabria's Tyrrhenian in the late 60's.

Really the goods made ​​them pass under the shed?

I link this video for italians in this forum. Thanks

Ciao a tutti

Mario

Edited by mario de prisco
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The other day a teenage member of my golf club mentioned that he had heard that I had a train set . I couldn't get over to him what it actually is, so this morning I took a few hasty snaps and put them on photo quality paper to show him. He still didn't really seem to be able to fathom it, but at least he knows Thomas doesn't feature. Anyway, I was quite pleased with one effort, so it has been nominated as shot of the day.

post-98-0-49350600-1351804002_thumb.jpg

All is not as it seems. The A4 has not been reduced to hauling a short train of non corridor stock, though on occasions they did. It is waiting to take over an Up train which is due shortly. There is in reality no kink in the platform, it is yet another glitch resulting from use of zoom.

The other day a teenage member of my golf club mentioned that he had heard that I had a train set . I couldn't get over to him what it actually is, so this morning I took a few hasty snaps and put them on photo quality paper to show him. He still didn't really seem to be able to fathom it, but at least he knows Thomas doesn't feature. Anyway, I was quite pleased with one effort, so it has been nominated as shot of the day.

post-98-0-49350600-1351804002_thumb.jpg

All is not as it seems. The A4 has not been reduced to hauling a short train of non corridor stock, though on occasions they did. It is waiting to take over an Up train which is due shortly. There is in reality no kink in the platform, it is yet another glitch resulting from use of zoom.

• Like 14

In addition to the Peterborough shots noted by Michael, Ken Fairey took a number of pictures around St Neots, both at the station and at Rowley's Lane bridge (133) to the north. Some of these can be seen in the same Flickr collection, and give useful information on trains (as opposed to the chuffing things on the front!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7845416924/in/photostream/ shows one of the wonderfully mixed parcels trains that used to entertain us (including a couple of cattle wagons, presumably empty after vegetable traffic use). Using 'Ken Fairey St Neots' in Google Images will find some more pictures.

Andy

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks Michael. I had seen a couple, but the one of the two Tyneside A3's passing each other was new to me. Those were both very rare engines, so any spotter who was there would have been very pleased. I don't know how you keep finding all these lovely and very helpful images? Whatever search words I put in Google I don't seem to be able to get anything like this.

• RMweb Premium

In addition to the Peterborough shots noted by Michael, Ken Fairey took a number of pictures around St Neots, both at the station and at Rowley's Lane bridge (133) to the north. Some of these can be seen in the same Flickr collection, and give useful information on trains (as opposed to the chuffing things on the front!)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/64518788@N05/7845416924/in/photostream/ shows one of the wonderfully mixed parcels trains that used to entertain us (including a couple of cattle wagons, presumably empty after vegetable traffic use). Using 'Ken Fairey St Neots' in Google Images will find some more pictures.

Andy

Thanks Andy, another box of delights to open! A 9F on empties with two brake vans directly behind the engine was a good start. Presumably a call from New England yard to Ferme Park may have been responsible - " We can't send you any more coal until you let us have some of our ******** brake vans back".

• Like 1

Gilbert

Brake van payment orders were made (on the Eastern Region at least) by the Regional Control Office at Liverpool Street (York after 1969) and were based on 'declared surpluses and shortages' that were phoned over to Control Offices as part of the morning wagon reports. Sometimes Whitemoor had enough brake vans on hand to be able to supply the 20 ordered to Mansfield Con on one train! A watch on brake vans being moved around as 'payments' would give you a clue as to the relative popularity of types of van with the guards at any particular place!

Andy

• Like 1

The other day a teenage member of my golf club mentioned that he had heard that I had a train set ..................

Dear Gilbert,

I sincerely hope and trust that this impudent youth had followed protocol by submitting a written request before approaching a senior. Duly, he should have been immediately directed to the local municipal pitch and putt course in penitence for his sins. :nono:

Keep 'em coming.

Bestest,

Jonte.

Edited by jonte
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Have you had a good look at that second BV, Gilbert? Looks to me like a Southern one of a type Bachmann may have recently done.

Thanks Jonathan, I must spend more time and look at things more closely. I must admit that I was more struck by photographs of a J6 and a B17 on Wellingborough shed!

• RMweb Premium

Dear Gilbert,

I sincerely hope and trust that this impudent youth had followed protocol by submitting a written request before approaching a senior. Duly, he should have been immediately directed to the local municipal pitch and putt course in penitence for his sins. :nono:

Keep 'em coming.

Bestest,

Jonte.

Actually he's a nice lad, and pretty human for a teenager. He's 15, very small for his age, not much over 5ft, but still hits the ball a mile. And he plays off a handicap of 1. :O I think he will be quite good when he grows and bulks out a bit.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Brake van payment orders were made (on the Eastern Region at least) by the Regional Control Office at Liverpool Street (York after 1969) and were based on 'declared surpluses and shortages' that were phoned over to Control Offices as part of the morning wagon reports. Sometimes Whitemoor had enough brake vans on hand to be able to supply the 20 ordered to Mansfield Con on one train! A watch on brake vans being moved around as 'payments' would give you a clue as to the relative popularity of types of van with the guards at any particular place!

Andy

I had the good sense to keep a couple of 2004 Steam World copies that contained articles by Stanley Hall, New England yard master in 1959. Full of very useful information, and I was surprised to hear that trains were sometimes cancelled because of a lack of brake vans! Also surprising was the fact that so many cripple wagons spent their time being shuffled around the system becuase no one wanted the responsibility for doing something about it.

I had the good sense to keep a couple of 2004 Steam World copies that contained articles by Stanley Hall, New England yard master in 1959. Full of very useful information, and I was surprised to hear that trains were sometimes cancelled because of a lack of brake vans! Also surprising was the fact that so many cripple wagons spent their time being shuffled around the system becuase no one wanted the responsibility for doing something about it.

The brake vans were probably all hiding behind the ironstone tipplers up at High Dyke! From what I have researched I gather they had rather more at that location than they actually ever needed.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I made a resolution to get shot of the day done earlier so that I can get on with some modelling, and even perhaps some uninterrupted running of trains. This first one was no problem.

post-98-0-32066200-1351864497_thumb.jpg

We focus on that Boston K2 waiting to amble up the E.Lincs line with the 5.03pm to Grimsby. The next one was no problem either.

post-98-0-10701700-1351864625_thumb.jpg

A local 9F creeping along the Down slow with yet more coal empties. Then I decided to do a rear three quarter shot of the K2, as it looks very nice from that angle.

post-98-0-50655100-1351864746_thumb.jpg

Whereas the other two took about 5 minutes each to edit, I gave up on this after nearly an hour, so apologies for the many obvious defects. I do hate it when I suddenly find that a chunk of something that should not have been removed, has been. :angry: I shall now have a late lunch, then go and play with my trains.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I hope I will be good "when I grows up and bulks out a bit", but until then I shall have to continue being as daft as a brush as my Granny used to say.

That K2 looks great from that angle. The Ks all seemed to be 'stocky' loco's; a sort of bull terrier of the loco world.

Oh and what gems about BVs and crippled wagons; I do love these little gems of information from so long ago. Thanks chaps.

P @ 36E

• Like 1

By the mid 60's the 'grading' system for deciding whether/where wagons would be/should be repaired appeared to have fallen into disuse. Whitemoor used to get wagons labelled for repair at Tuxford, for example, only to find when they were offered on a train to Lincoln they would be declined as Tuxford were no longer dealing with that grade of cripple. They would then clutter up several roads in the down yard until the C&W people 'regraded' them which inevitably meant they needed shunting out for several different destinations. Made the shunting figures look good though.... :no:. Then there were all the various types of surplus mineral wagons, which were a story unto themselves!

Andy

PS Have you got enough different types of parcels van to replicate the Ken Fairey shot? If so, can we have a suitable 'Picture of the Day? :imsohappy:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

ctrl Z is your friend :)

But doesn't that only allow me to undo what i have just done? I'm talking about things that I don't see until long after they have happened. I can go back through the whole history I think to get at it, but that takes forever, and I really don't have the patience. Or am I once again completely getting the wrong end of the stick? I do hope so.

• RMweb Premium

By the mid 60's the 'grading' system for deciding whether/where wagons would be/should be repaired appeared to have fallen into disuse. Whitemoor used to get wagons labelled for repair at Tuxford, for example, only to find when they were offered on a train to Lincoln they would be declined as Tuxford were no longer dealing with that grade of cripple. They would then clutter up several roads in the down yard until the C&W people 'regraded' them which inevitably meant they needed shunting out for several different destinations. Made the shunting figures look good though.... :no:. Then there were all the various types of surplus mineral wagons, which were a story unto themselves!

Andy

PS Have you got enough different types of parcels van to replicate the Ken Fairey shot? If so, can we have a suitable 'Picture of the Day? :imsohappy:

I will see what can be done Andy. Probably Sunday though.

[anorak] I think you'll find the leading vehicle is a Southern Van C or variant, Gilbert. They seem to have got all over the system very quickly after 1948. Hornby is your friend. The vehicle behind the cattle vans is most likely Gresley but I have a small voice saying 'North Eastern' to me. BR CCT after that? Then a bogie Southern Van B? Then another Gresley but we're getting to the limit of what my screen will manage after that.[/anorak]

• Like 1