Peterborough North

great northern

Finest 4mm A2/2 in my opinion.

I get the feeling that after seeing this loco in the flesh, that this may be my wallets downfall! :swoon:

• Like 2

To add to what Gilbert has said in his post above, for those that haven't seen the build progress on this one, the link to the finished item is here, which includes it posing on Haymarket Cross where it was given a run for a couple of hours. :)

On a personal note, I must say that I am rather relieved how 60505 has come out as it's not been an entirely easy build in comparison to the pair of A2/3s. A lot more planning had to be given over to getting things right on it, which extended to the running-plate steps and a few other interesting areas. If there are two items that I'm happy with then it's those and the sandbox filler pipes. The latter were turned in a minidrill from 2.5mm plastic rod to give the right style of cap and pipe. The steps took around an hour to make.....

As an aside, the main front footsteps are from the Brassmasters detail pack for the Hornby A3. They are also the same pattern as those fitted to V2s, so there's another little thing to add to the Bachmann V2 in terms of bringing it up to par. There will be one of those on the way very soon, so watch this space.....

Cheers!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That is one beast; the original 'stealth loco'?

I think the pic of the front third of 05 is amazing and has really inspired me to redo the smoke wings on my Woolwinder which look rubbish compared to the seating with these. OK so my 55 hasn't even got a layout to run on but I like looking at it.

P @ 36E

• RMweb Premium

That is one beast; the original 'stealth loco'?

I think the pic of the front third of 05 is amazing and has really inspired me to redo the smoke wings on my Woolwinder which look rubbish compared to the seating with these. OK so my 55 hasn't even got a layout to run on but I like looking at it.

P @ 36E

That is one of the reasons I did that close up Phil - to show that extra pipe work, the sandboxes and their backing plates, and the useless, in practical terms, wing deflectors. The deflectors look right because Tim scratch built them. He was not satisfied that any proprietory offerings looked quite right, and I agree with him. One of the really good spin offs from all of this is that Tim is now able to absorb the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of TW. Tony remarked on the absence of some pipe work on the A2/3's, so Tim took that on board when making 505. OK, it took him a considerable time to do what is essentially a small detail, but he agrees it was worthwhile now that we can see the finished job. To me at least it is great to see a talented young man prepared to put a lot of time into recreating something that he never saw, and doing it to such a high standard, and that those of us who were fortunate enough to experience the real thing are able to pass on our knowledge so that the wonderful world of the steam railway may continue to be replicated after our generation has gone.

• Like 7

The deflectors look right because Tim scratch built them. He was not satisfied that any proprietory offerings looked quite right, and I agree with him.

I ought to add that those items aren't made from scratch, but are in fact the excellent offerings from Morgan Gilbert and Graeme King. Those produced by DJH are a little squat for my liking and had too much of a rounded-off front edge too.

One of the really good spin offs from all of this is that Tim is now able to absorb the accumulated knowledge and wisdom of TW. Tony remarked on the absence of some pipe work on the A2/3's, so Tim took that on board when making 505. OK, it took him a considerable time to do what is essentially a small detail, but he agrees it was worthwhile now that we can see the finished job. To me at least it is great to see a talented young man prepared to put a lot of time into recreating something that he never saw, and doing it to such a high standard, and that those of us who were fortunate enough to experience the real thing are able to pass on our knowledge so that the wonderful world of the steam railway may continue to be replicated after our generation has gone.

I have to say that having Tony's breadth of knowledge on this small sub-class was absolutely invaluable and a wonderful help. There was one area that was a bit of a mystery to me at the time and that centred around the colour of the backing plate to the sandbox fillers. Tony didn't have a definite answer but we both agreed it would more than likely have been green, so green it went. The pipework was fun to do too and a couple of lightbulb moments happened whilst making both sets.

• Like 3

I really like those Gilbert!

There really is something about the humble 0-6-0s pottering about doing their duties!

Edited by Tom F
  • Like 1

Mainly my fault, Mick, as I did not think to dust over the loco before pointing the camera at it. Here is another image I have taken this morning. Even in, as you fairly say, "cruel" close up there are very few blemishes indeed, and from normal viewing distance there are none at all.post-98-0-21175800-1350904334_thumb.jpg

Some spots are in fact weathering, and I have to say that on occasions Irfanview does some funny things when resizing- as it has done with the nameplate on this shot. And the tender lining now I look at it again. There is no distortion on the real thing, or even on the original image.

Thanks for taking the time with the addtional picture. Very glad to see most of it was loose "crud".

Hopefully Bachmann are looking at this for next years offering of a A2/3 !!. I cant see a A2/2 ever appearing as they are so many differences between each Loco. Hornby have the Tender already so who knows !!

cheers

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Oh how nice following this thread continues to be. I am now kicking myself for going to the Showground on Sunday and not Saturday as I might just have bumped into Gilbert (not literally I might add quickly).

I find it fascinating to see how this is all progressing and also how much does slot into place with what little is left of the original at the southern end of my daily commute.

At heart, due to my childhood haunts, I am a G*R fan (there, I've sworn now) but I am being won round by the fantastic work going on here. As with all hobbies if we stopped to consider the cost we would never get involved but we all have to say a very big thank you to all involved with producing this real gem - such a shame that so few will get to see it in real life ...

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Looks like they were taken in the 1950s. 'Nuff said, your photoshopping has come on in leaps and bounds. The modelling of Peterborough combined with the sky background becomes the real thing. It's that convincing. B&W it and you'd never know.

Your wish is my command!

post-98-0-79740900-1351009922_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Back to earth with a bump :O There am I basking in the praise bestowed upon me by Andy Y and Simon, only to find that today's efforts have almost all been an unmitigated disaster. :ireful: Still, it does me no harm to be brought back down to earth with a bump. Here are the only two shots today that managed to get through the photoshop.

post-98-0-41827100-1351020180_thumb.jpg

The 4.45pm arrival from Harwich at Platform 6 behind Cambridge B2 Framlingham.

post-98-0-85855100-1351020304_thumb.jpg

And a view from Crescent Bridge. The mice have been at some of the chimney stacks again. :mad: I've only just worked out that when I'm deleting bits on close ups of a small part of a photo, bits of very similar colour may be getting deleted elsewhere too. And I really must give Johny no mates someone to talk to......

Edited by great northern
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

I am not going to look at this site for at least 12 hours.

I must get on with my layout development.

Just before I go, neat sky and very clever distant stuff Coach.

Great pics Gilbert and Mr Nomates is quite happy there as I spoke with him yesterday :beee:

P @ 36E

And I really must give Johny no mates someone to talk to......

Yup. :)

I liked the shot we used in MI - http://www.rail-online.co.uk/GetImage.aspx?id=96d3947d-2c2f-400a-8ca3-2ccd823f650f&type=800 - but you'll have to round up some spotty spotters to stand at the platform end. The telegraph poles also look a bit 'busy'.

That platform will need a bit of paint first though but it will make a cracking angle for various worthy locos.

• RMweb Premium

I agree you have come on really well with skies. In fact I'll bet you are looking forward to lesson 2.... Shadows and creating mountains.... :mosking:

post-6680-0-66371900-1351022545_thumb.jpg

Not ready to move on yet Larry, as yesterday taught me that I still have much to work out as regards the little I do know. For example, with a sky that is almost the same grey as the station roof, how do you manage to keep definition between the two? As to mountains, despite diligent research I can find no evidence of any around Peterborough. Not in the last few million years anyway. :jester: Shadows are another problem. The light coming into my room will always be strong, often very much so, which means it is always afternoon at my Peterborough, unless I go the artificial light route which I don't much like. Right, today is pencilled in for modelling, so it is time I got on with it.

• Like 1