Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Yup. :)

I liked the shot we used in MI - http://www.rail-onli...3f650f&type=800 - but you'll have to round up some spotty spotters to stand at the platform end. The telegraph poles also look a bit 'busy'.

That platform will need a bit of paint first though but it will make a cracking angle for various worthy locos.

Those telegraph poles are a nightmare Andy, about five of them that size I reckon. That's why I keep putting that job off. The platform surfaces will hopefully be finished off soon, after which I can get some more people installed too. Then there are the platform lamps. Only about a dozen in all, but very distinctive indeed, so there is another problem. It will be those details that bring it to life though, so all will get done, somehow, sometime......

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I am doing some modelling, honestly I am, but I've reached the point where I have e-mailed some shots to Gravy Train for his comments before I go any further. After struggling in the gloom for a while I gave up and put the lights on. It then occurred to me that I can photoshop out the shadows they produce, and that with a combination of Digital Photo Pro and Paint.Net I might be able to get some reasonable results. So here is a shot of one of the problem corners, virtually impossible with natural light.post-98-0-00969400-1351091135_thumb.jpg

Here is the 04/8 which the shed staff borrowed this morning for a trip down to Little Barford power station. Nearly back now with the empties, but it has had to run tender first as there was no way to turn it down there. That is also why there is a brake van next to the engine. Thanks again to AndyRush for this information.

The trench in which the signal is sitting will be filled in once they are all operational by the way. Any chance of realism is spoiled by the sky coming right down to the baseboard, which has again triggered the possibility of putting a backscene in just from this point to the end of the layout. It is hard to access as one has to bend under a bookcase, and that bracket signal at the edge of the baseboard is very vulnerable, so nothing much is lost by doing it, and it would cure the problem seen here. In 1958 Spital Bridge shed was about here, so I'm wondering if something in very low relief might be possible. We shall see.

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, have a word with PMP of this Parish re. the backscene. He really has some great ideas for those and cunning ways of 'concealing' style scenic breaks rather like the sides of a theatre stage. Have a shufty at Albion Yard and you will see what I mean.

His ideas could save you a heck of a lot of time.

I'm going to have to do exactly this sort of visual trickery very shortly.

Cheers, P

P.S. I have actually modelled today but have broken my 12 hour statement.............sorry. :nono:

P @36E

• Like 1

Ignore the bloke on the floor, I reckon he's just looking for sympathy.

When questioned by station officials it appeared he was a visitor from the continent. Gave his name as "Suarez".

cheers,

Peter C.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Ignore the bloke on the floor, I reckon he's just looking for sympathy.

When questioned by station officials it appeared he was a visitor from the continent. Gave his name as "Suarez".

cheers,

Peter C.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :lol: :lol: :lol: Shan't be able to sleep now Peter - I keep bursting out laughing every time I think of that reply.

• Like 2

May I ask, Gilbert, what standards were used in the construction of the track work? For instance, are they built to DOGA 'Finescale' or 'Intermediate' ? Also, have you set a single b-t-b for all stock used and if so may I enquire as to what it might be (perhaps 14.8) ?

Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I've been unable to find an answer so far in this excellent thread so I hope you don't mind me enquiring.

Many thanks,

Jonte.

• RMweb Premium

The bloke on the platform....I knew he was Russian all along as Ms Agutter told me.

Otherwise it was a spotter who had just realised he had cleared his LNER/ER Pacifics. :superstition:

'Woolwinder' - the last A3 I saw at the 'Cross', ready to head North in '60 or '61 I think. It had those lovely chimney shoulder pads by then - nice.

1st and 4th pics - class.

As a jolly Gilbert, how about visiting the fair City of Peterborough and taking some pics near the Cathedral and then 'shopping' those into your backgrounds? You might even be able to use them on some sort of 'back/front' screens at a later date?

Beats playing that funny game where loads of blokes lose their balls. :nono:

P @ Klingon Colony E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

May I ask, Gilbert, what standards were used in the construction of the track work? For instance, are they built to DOGA 'Finescale' or 'Intermediate' ? Also, have you set a single b-t-b for all stock used and if so may I enquire as to what it might be (perhaps 14. 8) ?

Sorry to interrupt the flow, but I've been unable to find an answer so far in this excellent thread so I hope you don't mind me enquiring.

Many thanks,

Jonte.

All of the track work was done by Norman Saunders of Just Tracks Jonte. I think he is the man to answer your queries. I've had a look at his web site, but that doesn't give the answers, so a call to him might be the best option. I'm afraid I can't give you the answer myself. I just know that it is fabulous track!.

• RMweb Premium

The bloke on the platform....I knew he was Russian all along as Ms Agutter told me.

Otherwise it was a spotter who had just realised he had cleared his LNER/ER Pacifics. :superstition:

'Woolwinder' - the last A3 I saw at the 'Cross', ready to head North in '60 or '61 I think. It had those lovely chimney shoulder pads by then - nice.

1st and 4th pics - class.

As a jolly Gilbert, how about visiting the fair City of Peterborough and taking some pics near the Cathedral and then 'shopping' those into your backgrounds? You might even be able to use them on some sort of 'back/front' screens at a later date?

Beats playing that funny game where loads of blokes lose their balls. :nono:

P @ Klingon Colony E

I've been thinking about another trip down to Peterborough Phil,but I reckon there will be a problem with getting a photo to act as a backdrop. It comes in the form of the Inner ring road and a very large shopping centre and multi storey car park, none of which were around 50+ years ago. I can't think of a way to get the cathedral at the right kind of distance while eliminating all of the modern stuff. The same applies on the West side - everything has gone. I should go down there though, as I'm sure the GN hotel will have some very nice archive photos. It's just getting round to it as usual.

• Like 1

All of the track work was done by Norman Saunders of Just Tracks Jonte. I think he is the man to answer your queries. I've had a look at his web site, but that doesn't give the answers, so a call to him might be the best option. I'm afraid I can't give you the answer myself. I just know that it is fabulous track!.

No problem, Gilbert, but thanks for trying. Likewise, I had a butcher's at Norman's website but it didn't reveal anything although I suspect it's one of the two DOGA standards. If you haven't had to reset the b-t-bs on any of your RTR stock then my money's on 'Intermediate'.

Best wishes and please keep feeding us more manna from heaven.

Jonte

PS my post was supposed to read '14.8?'. Dunno where the smiley thingy came from.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert weren't the k2's an early withdrawal?

Plenty left in 1958 David - Boston still had about 8 on the books. They staggered on till 1961 I think, though I suspect that the last couple were just used as stationary boilers. 1759 was definitely used in that way at New England, and I believe another one was at Kings Cross. The last English based locos were at Colwick, and they were still being used for seaside excursions in 1960.

• RMweb Premium

No problem, Gilbert, but thanks for trying. Likewise, I had a butcher's at Norman's website but it didn't reveal anything although I suspect it's one of the two DOGA standards. If you haven't had to reset the b-t-bs on any of your RTR stock then my money's on 'Intermediate'.

Best wishes and please keep feeding us more manna from heaven.

Jonte

PS my post was supposed to read '14.8?'. Dunno where the smiley thingy came from.

A few of Norman's turnouts have had to be eased a bit to allow some RTR stock to get through, but I would say that you are right in surmising that it is Intermediate, as Norman knew that most of my stock is RTR when he took the job on. As to the smiley, when your post came to my inbox it said 14.8, so goodness knows where it managed to creep in.

A few of Norman's turnouts have had to be eased a bit to allow some RTR stock to get through, but I would say that you are right in surmising that it is Intermediate, as Norman knew that most of my stock is RTR when he took the job on. As to the smiley, when your post came to my inbox it said 14.8, so goodness knows where it managed to creep in.

Ah, I see, that's very interesting and also reassuring that even the professionals have to resort to a bit of tweaking now and again. In fact knowing this has reinvigorated me (long story).

Thanks for letting me know, Gilbert.

Best wishes,

Jonte :) (this one is intended!!).

• RMweb Premium

Pics 1 & 3 - just wonderful.

Gilbert, there was a chap earlier in this tome that took some pics in the 'borough. Perhaps you could ask him con him to visit the local archive office' or library where there could be some historic pics. If you are then allowed to copy those then hey presto at least you might have some b & w backgrounds. I'm sure he would love to get rewarded with some more lovely pics including his efforts?

Cars.....pah! Car Mechanics... even more pah! Resulting Invoice ..... bl**dy great pah! Bring back the horse and trap I say.

P @36E

Some of you may recall that a while back Gilbert had a couple of visitors from the West Riding, a photo of one appearing on this thread. Well I have finally got around to putting together some video footage shot on that occasion. Unfortunately, by the time the camera came out the light was failing and the beautiful red sunset did little to enhance things. However, Gilbert has decided to publish and be d****d, so here it is.

http://youtu.be/HySHbTc33Pw

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Pics 1 & 3 - just wonderful.

Gilbert, there was a chap earlier in this tome that took some pics in the 'borough. Perhaps you could ask him con him to visit the local archive office' or library where there could be some historic pics. If you are then allowed to copy those then hey presto at least you might have some b & w backgrounds. I'm sure he would love to get rewarded with some more lovely pics including his efforts?

Cars.....pah! Car Mechanics... even more pah! Resulting Invoice ..... bl**dy great pah! Bring back the horse and trap I say.

P @36E

I contacted the Archive department of Peterborough library back in 2009 Phil, and they could not have been more helpful. Then I was asking for photos of the station area, but I guess I could see if they can help with background shots too. I did promise to send them some images once the project was well under way, and I haven't done that yet, so I'll send them some images and see if they can help me again. Coldgunner's photos were indeed very good and useful, and they will be a big help to Peter when he starts on the bridges. If he is around, perhaps he would let me know if he can help some more?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Re photo-shopping the latttice work signals:

Do you work round them each time? Or do you have a library of signals which you can add too the shot afterwards? That might be quicker and easier.

I have to work round the signals each time as my knowledge of photoshopping is to say the least limited. I'm afraid I wouldn't know where to start if I wanted to add things to a photo, though I guess it would involve more layers?