Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Apologies for slightly OT comment about Pullmans. There were a few painted Green on the SR towards the end of their use. I'd be grateful to know of any sources of info about them as I don't have any books on Pullmans, IIRC. I know it isn't ER  but it is Pullman, they turned up in Excursions and Railtours and some of you are experts on the subject. Thanks.

Phil

So, the "how I did this" for Car 106...  It's probably easier if I explain using these two photos Gilbert has taken, since I didn't take any of my own!  The structural integrity of this car was untouched, with just two suitably sized inserts of plasticard to slot in where necessary.  My plan was basically to give me as little work to do in the paint matching department; ie: just the cream and then the resulting lining!  Hornby's shade of "umber" is still a mystery to me and I suspect always will be!

Cutting out the sections I didn't need needed a great deal of care; when you're left with just a vestige of the window frame either side, you need to make sure that the new blank fits snugly and needs no filler adding either side.  In both instances, a new oval window was required.  Using the offcut of the one taken out from the kitchen side, I traced round the oval inside on the plasticard, once all was fixed in place, before chain-drilling a load of holes and filing it all out to shape. 

20 hours ago, great northern said:

2057101039_pullman2.JPG.8668bb7189568d005165b1b1f1dca4c2.JPG

On the non kitchen side (above), the oval window is a plain affair, without any of the extra framework like the toilet window on the far left.  I basically filed up the window from a redundant piece of glazing left over from a previous car.  Once it was the right size, it was fitted in place (after painting!)

20 hours ago, great northern said:

pullman.JPG.840967c26b79846fa2019f5fd3193ed0.JPG

The kitchen side (above) was much the same, though had a change of passenger window to give it curtains.  I also added a table, cut from a spare interior.

The cream took a bit of working out.  In the end, I used Pullman cream, with a bit of Humbrol "trainer yellow" (24) mixed in to match the rather more yellowy shade used by Hornby.  A couple of coats of Johnson's Klear were added next, before transfers used for the lining (HMRS) were added.

It's certainly nice to see a different vehicle in the consist though.  Something I've always liked, personally, about Pullman cars is their sheer variety.

• Like 14
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

2 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Well, truly GN's cup doth runneth over today because here are my Ta-Daa! pictures for the now complete signals:

DSC01291.JPG.8be414fc69bc3cac1a420b8f98db2e9f.JPG

Slightly tricky lighting conditions as I set them against a white background so as not to lose any detail. In practice, they are somewhat darker than this with the weathered finish applied.

DSC01290.JPG.8ae85764c430c2a1e37084fe6ac59d92.JPG

And just to prove they work ...

DSC01293.JPG.a3da38f3a1820d1832c92531bcc829a2.JPG     DSC01295.JPG.016d049226a416f01a72a79a81036b1a.JPG

First picture is a nonsense in terms of aspects showing but just emphasise the mechanism. Just grabbed a handy loco to give the impression of scale.

Look forward to fixing up a visit now to get them installed.

Bloody Lovely.
Chris.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, truly GN's cup doth runneth over today because here are my Ta-Daa! pictures for the now complete signals:

Slightly tricky lighting conditions as I set them against a white background so as not to lose any detail. In practice, they are somewhat darker than this with the weathered finish applied.

DSC01293.JPG.a3da38f3a1820d1832c92531bcc829a2.JPG     DSC01295.JPG.016d049226a416f01a72a79a81036b1a.JPG

First picture is a nonsense in terms of aspects showing but just emphasise the mechanism. Just grabbed a handy loco to give the impression of scale.

Beautifully modelled and so characterful.

Edited by 2750Papyrus
spurious character (not me!)
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

I think it likely that your diary is rather fuller than mine, Graham, so if you would like to PM me with dates convenient to you, I should be able to fit in.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Tim said:

So, the "how I did this" for Car 106...  It's probably easier if I explain using these two photos Gilbert has taken, since I didn't take any of my own!  The structural integrity of this car was untouched, with just two suitably sized inserts of plasticard to slot in where necessary.  My plan was basically to give me as little work to do in the paint matching department; ie: just the cream and then the resulting lining!  Hornby's shade of "umber" is still a mystery to me and I suspect always will be!

Cutting out the sections I didn't need needed a great deal of care; when you're left with just a vestige of the window frame either side, you need to make sure that the new blank fits snugly and needs no filler adding either side.  In both instances, a new oval window was required.  Using the offcut of the one taken out from the kitchen side, I traced round the oval inside on the plasticard, once all was fixed in place, before chain-drilling a load of holes and filing it all out to shape. 

On the non kitchen side (above), the oval window is a plain affair, without any of the extra framework like the toilet window on the far left.  I basically filed up the window from a redundant piece of glazing left over from a previous car.  Once it was the right size, it was fitted in place (after painting!)

The kitchen side (above) was much the same, though had a change of passenger window to give it curtains.  I also added a table, cut from a spare interior.

The cream took a bit of working out.  In the end, I used Pullman cream, with a bit of Humbrol "trainer yellow" (24) mixed in to match the rather more yellowy shade used by Hornby.  A couple of coats of Johnson's Klear were added next, before transfers used for the lining (HMRS) were added.

It's certainly nice to see a different vehicle in the consist though.  Something I've always liked, personally, about Pullman cars is their sheer variety.

Splendid work!

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, LNER4479 said:

Out of interest Graham,

Which mechanisms are you going to use?

Regards,

Tony. 

1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Out of interest Graham,

Which mechanisms are you going to use?

Regards,

Tony. 

All of these signals I'm doing for Gilbert are straight swap overs for existing signals which already have mechanisms fitted, so all I have to do (ha!) is to remove the linkage to the existing signals and reattach to the new signals. Cue contortions underneath baseboard, pliers being wielded into impossibly small spaces and generally much sweating and cussing.

I think they're all Tortoise motors, each with its address reader decoder DCC thingy ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, LNER4479 said:

All of these signals I'm doing for Gilbert are straight swap overs for existing signals which already have mechanisms fitted, so all I have to do (ha!) is to remove the linkage to the existing signals and reattach to the new signals. Cue contortions underneath baseboard, pliers being wielded into impossibly small spaces and generally much sweating and cussing.

I think they're all Tortoise motors, each with its address reader decoder DCC thingy ...

Tortoises they are, cunningly tucked into those small compartments beneath the surface. I shall ask them to behave, but whether they take any notice is another matter.

• Like 2
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

A frequent phenomenon in my experience - you wait patiently for a steam special in sunshine and just as it hoves in sight, a cloud obscures the sun , but just long enough for the train to pass so you can return to your car or await your train home in sunshine.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 minutes ago, great northern said:

I investigated the areas that Graham will need to access the signal motors and mechanisms too. The good news is that he won't have to squash into the narrow space between baseboard and wall this time. I won't mention the bad news, as it might put him off altogether. Let's just say I may need a bigger swear box. Only kidding Graham, honest. It is a bit tight though.

I shall duly gird my loins and come prepared for (almost) anything.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold

00 Rolling Stock Mini-Poll No.3: Non-passenger-carrying Coaching Stock (NPCCS)

Hello everyone

Welcome to the third in our series of seven Mini-Polls concerning rolling stock that has at least some connection with Peterborough North. I am running them on behalf of Gilbert.

You can submit your wishes here, on the thread, as usual, or PM me direct if you prefer the ‘secret ballot’ method.

If you vote on the thread, please feel free to explain why you have chosen your selection – hopefully, that will promote some interesting debates – but please do not take it as an excuse to start up the old chestnut of ‘kits vs RTR’!

Here’s what to do…

1. You may vote for two of the ‘car types’, plus four of the Passenger Brake Vans, plus one of the TPOs. Seven votes total available. You cannot ‘transfer votes’!

2. They must be items you would realistically wish to buy if made RTR.

3. Submit your entries on this thread simply as (for example): 2, 4, 7, 9, 12 – with comments and explanations following.

4. If you vote by PM, please only list your selection of numbers without explanations.

Although the Gresley Diag.245 and Thompson Diag.344 BGs are currently available RTR, the aim here is to vote for ‘new tool’ versions to go with re-tooled coaches and that Bachmann might include the Diag.327 with the Diag.344. I have listed the Gresley 51ft 1½ B and 52ft 6in BG as one as I believe they could possibly share the same sides. To maintain brevity of this list, I have moved the LNER Fish Van (technically NPCCS) into a forthcoming Freight Mini-Poll.

Get your thinking caps on and get voting!

1. Bogie Covered Carriage Truck CCT 45ft (Diags.2 & 3, of 1924-1928)

2. Bogie Covered Carriage Truck CCT 52ft (Diag.7, of 1940)

3. Car Carrier – Anglo-Scottish Bogie CCT (E71000-E71099 of 1957)

4. Car Carrier – Newton Chambers Double-Deck TCV (of 1962)

5. Passenger Brake Van BY 4-wheel (Diag.120 of 1927)

6. Passenger Brake Van BZ 6-wheel (Diag.358, BR-built 1950)

7. Passenger Brake Van B 51ft 1½in & BG 52ft 6in Gresley (Diags.129 & 284 of 1928 & 1939, Diags.154 & 282 of 1932 & 1938)

8. Passenger Brake Van BG 61ft 6in Gresley (Diag.245 of 1938-1943)

9. Passenger Brake Van BG 61ft 6in Thompson - Flat Planked Sides (Diag.327 of 1945-1946)

10. Passenger Brake Van BG 63ft 0in Thompson - Steel Sides (Diag.344 of 1945)

11. Travelling Post Office Vans – LNER (Diag.164 & Diag.165 of 1933 to 1937)

12. Travelling Post Office Vans – BR Mk1 (built or converted 1959-1977)

You have until 17.00 on Thursday 3 June. However, I will stop earlier and advise if votes reach 50. I will present the results during the day on Friday 4 June.

I look forward to your selections and comments!

Brian

(Note: These are ‘informal Polls for fun’ on Gilbert’s thread only and neither The 00 Wishlist Poll Team nor RMweb are specifically involved, apart from me in my ‘personal capacity’.)

Edited by BMacdermott
Corrected length of Diag.344.

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone

Here are my votes: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 11.

The Diag.7 52ft Bogie Covered Carriage Truck CCT is a distinctive vehicle and would definitely find a place on my layout.

Hornby has already provided the iconic Long Wheelbase 4-wheel CCT, so the addition of the branded Anglo-Scottish Car Carriers would be very welcome. Although it is one of those ‘long trains’, and not starting until 1960, my layout will take the formation: BSK-FK-RU-FO-6 Car Carriers. This is a reduction from the booked 10 CCTs on the real train – but I can claim that my train is ‘the first of season’ and loadings have yet to pick up!:)

The Diag.120 4-wheel Passenger Brake Van BY is a good one but perhaps more for the GER? Were any ever seen at Peterborough North?

A real gap for plugging in non-bogie NPCCS is the much-needed 6-wheel BZ. One has even been seen on the Highbridge Branch of the S&D, so they have travelled far and wide.

I have voted for the 51ft 1½in Gresley Van B & 52ft 6in BG. The shorter lengths compared to the more standard BR, Gresley and Thompson types would bring some classic ‘parcels train randomness’ to the scene (when added in with the Diag.7 CCT earlier).

Adding to the ‘general clutter’ would be my choice of the Thompson Flat Planked Sides 61ft 6in BG.

The BR TPOs are a bit of a minefield and Bachmann has produced just a handful. I was hoping they would at least produce those needed for the West of England TPO, but that looks increasingly unlikely. My vote goes to the LNER Diag.164 & Diag.165 TPOs. Can anyone say if these were used in the 10.30pm from King’s Cross in 1958? It’s another ‘long train’ but I can accommodate the formation: POS-POS-BSK-SLC-CK-SK-SK-BG-BG.

Brian