Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

What are we not telling the missus now? ;)

No missus here Zane, no "'er indoors" and certainly no SWMBO. However you have given me an idea. Tim may not get the job after all. "Would you like to come and see my buffer stops?" I've heard better chat up lines.Could be a better one coming from a young lady though. I'll go and lie down now.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Those coaches are superb. I can see a little of the interior of the FK Corridor side and that is 'teaked' as well AFAICS. Brilliant by both Mr W and Mr S. Lovely additions to your fleet. G.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Excellent Gresley coaches there. The Super firsts were just that - super!  i.e. only two seats on each side of the compartment, totaling four seats in each compartment, and loose cushions as well. Very sumptuous coaches, and the model has captured that extremely well. The model of the FO is lovely as well, although the prototype was not quite so well appointed!

With best regards,

Market65.

• Like 1

That is a fine picture although in photographer portfolio-speak, you lose points for having a telegraph pole growing out of the Tender. But it is inevitable as you add more detail to the layout, and I wonder where you will stand one day to obtain a clear view especially in the environs of the station. Crafty freelancers such as myself design the landscape for the task of photographing trains.... :sarcastic:

• RMweb Premium

Years ago, with that archaic thing called film, the photographer might have used a 'dodger' to mask out that telegraph pole if he felt it needed doing. That would be in the darkroom of course.

• RMweb Gold

Years ago, with that archaic thing called film, the photographer might have used a 'dodger' to mask out that telegraph pole if he felt it needed doing. That would be in the darkroom of course.

I know a few who would of had the telegraph pole down for the perfect shot.

• RMweb Premium

That is a fine picture although in photographer portfolio-speak, you lose points for having a telegraph pole growing out of the Tender. But it is inevitable as you add more detail to the layout, and I wonder where you will stand one day to obtain a clear view especially in the environs of the station. Crafty freelancers such as myself design the landscape for the task of photographing trains.... :sarcastic:

Yes, you definitely have the advantage Larry, as I've already reached the point where it is almost impossible to find an angle where posts poles or columns do not intrude. I watched my father spend what seemed like an interminable time composing architectural photographs, so I'm well up on the conventions of photogaphy, but I don't feel the need to apply them to mine, as there is a conflict between the desire to produce the beautifully composed image, and the necessity, in my opinion anyway, to show the layout as it is. I wouldn't photoshop out leaning posts or gaps under buildings on principle, so them darn posts must stay. And, as I think most agree, they do add to the atmosphere of the layout anyway.

Had I decided to avoid a prototype though, I would I think have taken the same approach as you, and composed the layout so as to avoid such things. Ellesmere gives some beautiful views, though they tend to disappear as quickly as they come. :jester:  They are always replaced by equally lovely ones though, and I'm looking forward to the definitve version. If there is one.

Actually, it has just occurred to me that when my father was taking photos of some types intended for submission to the Royal photographic society for exhibition, he had to ensure that they were what he called "record" shots, ie exact replicas of the real thing. He used to do a lot of those in churches, fonts and other such things. Plate camera, 50 minute exposures, and son tasked with making sure no-one walked between camera and subject during that time. Can you imagine todays teenagers doing that?

• Like 2

A very well known railway photographer I shall call Bert visited another well known photographer Kevin for a few days photing in East Anglia.  Bert carried a very large bag containing his equipment. and Kevin took him to all his favorite lineside locations plus one that was up a tree giving a fine view of the railway. The days photoing over, they both walked back to the car but Bert said he wouldn't be a minute and walked back towards the railway while Kevin waited in the car. Curious because his friend was away quite a while, Kevin went to look for him and got there in time to see the tree hitting the dust. Bert's equipment always included a chainsaw! Kevin asked why he had sawn down 'his' tree and Bert replied it was to stop other photographers using it!

The above is not unusual. I 'had' a tree up a closed off lane not far from home and sawed its branches to form a step ladder into the tree. Trouble was, a Brummy tourist-photographer was up there one day and so I removed the bottom two branches when he had gone and took my 6ft ladder with me on future visits. One Sunday morning while transferring myself from the ladder into the tree, I inadvertently kicked the ladder over. After what seemed like an eternity, a feller I knew saw me swinging from the tree....

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert; that pole.......get one hand and reach towards it, close fingers about the shaft (of the pole) and lift out of hole in layout. Place pole carefully on loading bay. Take photo, repeat in reverse first instruction. Next, write very rude comment back to that stupid duck thing..........

Dez.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert; that pole.......get one hand and reach towards it, close fingers about the shaft (of the pole) and lift out of hole in layout. Place pole carefully on loading bay. Take photo, repeat in reverse first instruction. Next, write very rude comment back to that stupid duck thing..........

Dez.

There is one problem with this otherwise surprisingly sensible suggestion. Having finally got the height right, all poles have been firmly secured in place.

For an overbridge to work photographically, it needs some form of visible support. It just looks strange across the top of the frame otherwise. Perhaps if you include the left hand bridge support, then move the SR van in the siding until it frames the RH side of the composition......?

Edited by coachmann

• RMweb Premium

For an overbridge to work photographically, it needs some form of visible support. It just looks strange across the top of the frame otherwise. Perhaps if you include the left hand bridge support, then move the SR van in the siding until it frames the RH side of the composition......?

Practical problems again Larry. I've put the original image below, and you can see that I've got as close to Crescent Bridge box as I can to get this angle, in fact I managed to get out of focus steps in the frame. More important though is the huge expanse on the left side where the "sky" comes right down to the baseboard edge, and that for me spoils any shot completely. I can't see how I can get the camera in a position where I could get the bridge support in frankly, and Colin Walker appears to have had the same problem, as there are several shots in Trails of Steam Peterborough like mine. Copyright prevents me from showing them, but I wonder if the span of the bridge is so great that it just isn't possible to get the supports in while still having the main subject of the photo close enough to be properly seen?

post-98-0-81882800-1441786670_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm really not at all sure about those posts. They have no wires, and it seems conspicuous...

Give the chap a chance to finish it, with so much detail to do at ground level wiring up would be a daft thing to put in the way at this stage.

Trouble is that up close with the camera lens it can be quite harsh, what looks good at the 3' rule looks a whole lot different on the screen. . . which I why I prefer to photograph from the adjacent room...... :blum:

I'm really not at all sure about those posts. They have no wires, and it seems conspicuous...

Perhaps you post pictures of your telegraph poles with wires. I am sure you must find them a nightmare at times.  I drew mine on the backscene along with fencing wire between posts.

• Like 1

I still have one or two images to process from last week's session, so here is another shot of the day, again without any photoshopping, just a bit of cropping. I'm not sure it succeeds though. Even the notorious curve on the real thing wasn't as severe as this.

attachicon.gif105 8.jpg

At least the blue card and walls did their job for once.

Well I for one think that is a stonking picture GN! The cropping has worked well for me and the general railway clutter gives it tons of atmosphere. Thanks for posting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Otherwise I like the brick structures at the N end of the station. They were a conspicuous part of the station approach until relatively recently and combine well with the GN Hotel

Sorry buddy but you are incorrect.

post-2326-0-75969800-1441810553.jpg

Simple as that.

Q