Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Ok so sorry for the slight skewing off-topic Gilbert, but this talk piqued my interest.

Those of you who follow my thread will know that I am slowly building a whole stack of telegraph poles for eventual inclusion on my layout.

So I took my little photo plank, and stuck three of the completed poles on it, and used this stuff to wire them up:

post-17302-0-70248500-1441916744_thumb.jpg

This was recommended to me as being "The stuff" for telegraph wires.

So between the three poles I strung three strands:

post-17302-0-27610000-1441916748_thumb.jpg

As you can see, from certain angles the wires are very visible:

post-17302-0-13195900-1441916753_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-12849500-1441916758_thumb.jpg

sometimes intrusively so:

post-17302-0-91983800-1441916762_thumb.jpg

But from other angles, and lighting, they're almost invisible:

post-17302-0-13063000-1441916767_thumb.jpg

post-17302-0-55597500-1441916771_thumb.jpg

I would suggest that for longer shots like Gilbert takes, they would not necessarily show.

However, there are only three strands on these poles, but there are 32 insulators. If each one was wired I don't think you'd see through the resulting birdcage.

Sorry for the diversion Gilbert.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Al. Although that is good, I don't think that it is thin enough, and I must agree that if all the insulators were wired then the result would be overpowering.

Is there anything thinner?

With best regards,

Market65.

Edited by Market65

• RMweb Gold

Hi, Al. Although that is good, I don't think that it is thin enough, and I must agree that if all the insulators were wired then the result would be overpowering.

Is there anything thinner?

With best regards,

Market65.

Well if the stuff that  migilbert30 posted truly is 0.04mm thick, then that will be a lot finer.

The benefit of the E-Z Line is that it is stretchable, so much less likely to snap if you do catch it, but I agree it's a bit thick.

Al.

I don't think I would ever attempt to add telephone/telegraph wires because I don't see how you could get the "droop" that was always there in a consistent manner between each wire and each length.  The odd layout I have seen that puts in wires always show them as "straight" and they were not and look so wrong.  A bit like a WD with an A4 sound chip

• RMweb Gold

As a matter of interest, what would that be used for? Not very grammatical, but its late. And I'm still not doing it.

Usually used for the windings on electric motors, relay solenoids, or the low-current side of a step down transformer, all applications where the more turns per inch you can get, the stronger the magnetic field that results.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

I don't think I would ever attempt to add telephone/telegraph wires because I don't see how you could get the "droop" that was always there in a consistent manner between each wire and each length.  The odd layout I have seen that puts in wires always show them as "straight" and they were not and look so wrong.  A bit like a WD with an A4 sound chip

Interesting point. Whilst doing a bit of research last night (after I'd posted the above) I came across this post by Graham Muspratt on his blog

http://grahammuz.com/tag/railway-telegraph-wires/

Where he deliberately alternates the wires on every other pole to be one arm lower than the other, to give an impression of the droop. He uses a black "magicians thread" which sounds similar to the E-Z Line above, in that it is elastic, and therefore has no natural sag - but as he points out, even using conventional wire, at such small scale there is no intrinsic weight in the wire so the droop never looks convincing.

Al.

• RMweb Premium

Someone said if it's there it should be modelled. I need to know how his trick for gettin' steam out of drain cocks... :smoke:

It would be nice to see the drain cocks fitted to a class 27 or a 4F, come to think of it nice to see them fitted to many outside cylinder locos as well :rtfm:

• RMweb Premium

It would be nice to see the drain cocks fitted to a class 27 or a 4F, come to think of it nice to see them fitted to many outside cylinder locos as well :rtfm:

And just as nice to find a foolproof way of stopping the ****** things from falling off. I constantly find them lying smugly beside the track, challenging me to find which of many locos they have fallen off. To be honest, I tend to leave them off now. Advancing age has made it difficult for me to get locos railed up properly, and it is far too easy to pinch the drain cocks inwards while trying to get a floppy bogie to stay on track. The result then of course is fouling of the bogie on curves, and another derailment.

I wouldn't use wires on Telegraph Poles unless its a behind glass display item. They wouldn't last two minutes on a working layout and cause damage at the same time.

As to draincocks glue them on with eveostick or similar glue , it remains elastic and allows some bending to take place.

I'm most intrigued with the wires in those pictures. I want single overhead power lines for Oilpatch - they are such a ubiquitous desert feature, and in those places any sort of feature shows.

I can't imagine anyone modelling the cats-cradle of wires at a place like Peterborough effectively. You wouldn't notice the lack of wires on the actual model, I'm sure; it's a photography issue. I much prefer the monochrome images, given that coloured images of the original are so rare anyway, I find the monochrome model shots much more effective. I'm sure the right background effect would render the whole issue invisible

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Jim, that's yet another good reason for leaving them off.

• RMweb Gold

This photograph features some coaches, but absolutely no wires whatsoever.

I'm sure I can see some, really faint... :)

Image heavily cropped to exclude some, but not all, of the mistakes made while shopping it

Gilbert, this may be teaching you to suck eggs, but whenever I make any editing changes to a photo, the very first thing I do is save it with a different name, so the original is still intact. That way, if I make a balls up I can go back and start again.

Also, you do know the command Edit | Undo (with keyboard shortcut CTRL and Z) will remove the last thing you did whilst editing, and in most programs has a history that you can go back through - so if you make a mistake, do something else and then notice it, you can do "Undo" a few times to revert back to before the mistake. I don't specifically know about Paint.NET, some programs only have ten Undos, others are unlimited.

Sorry if you know all this, please tell me to shut up. :)

Al.

it does feature part of a coach, and a rather nice drinking fountain.

What a cracking little fountain. I love those little details, it's these things, that make this train set a bit special. Although sometimes it's hard to look past the Loco's, It's usually worth a longer look with PN and try to spot the bit's and pieces.

I have just discovered two more images from last Friday's shoot that I haven't yet processed, so I thought I might as well get them finished.  Here is B17 Tottenham Hotspur, some three weeks away from withdrawal, and relegated to bringing two carriages less than a mile from East station.

attachicon.gif1630 1.jpg

This photograph features some coaches, but absolutely no wires whatsoever.

attachicon.gif1630 2.jpg

61630 now at journey's end. Image heavily cropped to exclude some, but not all, of the mistakes made while shopping it, but it does feature part of a coach, and a rather nice drinking fountain.

Hi Gilbert

Great locomotive and photo, and also a great football club as well.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure I can see some, really faint... :)

Gilbert, this may be teaching you to suck eggs, but whenever I make any editing changes to a photo, the very first thing I do is save it with a different name, so the original is still intact. That way, if I make a balls up I can go back and start again.

Also, you do know the command Edit | Undo (with keyboard shortcut CTRL and Z) will remove the last thing you did whilst editing, and in most programs has a history that you can go back through - so if you make a mistake, do something else and then notice it, you can do "Undo" a few times to revert back to before the mistake. I don't specifically know about Paint.NET, some programs only have ten Undos, others are unlimited.

Sorry if you know all this, please tell me to shut up. :)

Al.

Wouldn't dream of it Al, I need all the help I can get. The first tip is much appreciated, it had never occurred to me to do that. I do have unlimited undos with Paint.Net, and I do use that function. It gets very tedious though when the mistake lies about 50 moves back. I suppose I should take a lot more care when looking at images to see what has been "eaten", as that is the only way really that I can avoid the problem. The tolerance setting on Paint.Net is difficult to judge - a couple of per cent too much and it gleefully wipes out half an image, but if I err a bit on the side of caution it then only deals with a very small area at a time.

The big problem is that I have a lot of grey roofs to contend with, and a lot of the time my lovely duck egg blue walls come out rather grey in photos too. I suspect that white would actually have been a much better choice, but it is too late now.

• RMweb Premium

I also like the coaches and the magnificent drinking fountain which really adds so much in the way of atmosphere and finish to that part of the station.

With best regards,

Market65.

I was very lucky to find a close up image of that part of the Excursion platform buildings, otherwise we would never have known about it. It is a lovely feature I agree, and Peter Leyland as usual did a great job in reproducing it. There is another one on the end wall of Platform 2 at the North end actually, but it is very difficult to get the camera in a position to show it.