Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall that some people have a liking for Gresley BGs, so here are the three on the end of the York parcels.

post-98-0-40741600-1468964811_thumb.jpg

And after that had cleared platform 3, in came the 1.20pm KX - Leeds, behind a Doncaster A1.

post-98-0-88103100-1468964912_thumb.jpg

And now, like everyone else, I'm wondering how to get some sleep in this sweltering heat. Like our duck I have a big fan going in my bedroom, but all it seems to do is move hot air from one place to another.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

I love that last photo' it looks so real. You can almost see the smoke and steam!

Regarding sleeping tonight, I will lay on the bed and let the two foot fan waft the air over myself. I usually manage to get some sleep with that fan going like that.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

Love the BG's, always have.

So much so I tried to enlarge the photo enough to see if the shopping/painting date was on the rear one. I thought, That MUST be just ex works, and I know that Gilbert works to 1958, so it must be recent.

Sadly, or just Sad, I couldn't actually read the plate.

Never mind, but please do alert the C & W examiner, as the forward foot board needs a little attention.

Best Regards, and keep it up.

Ian

• RMweb Premium

I seem to recall that some people have a liking for Gresley BGs, so here are the three on the end of the York parcels.

attachicon.gifGresley BGs small.jpg

And after that had cleared platform 3, in came the 1.20pm KX - Leeds, behind a Doncaster A1.

attachicon.gif114 1 small.jpg

And now, like everyone else, I'm wondering how to get some sleep in this sweltering heat. Like our duck I have a big fan going in my bedroom, but all it seems to do is move hot air from one place to another.

Sums up some parts of RMWeb in a few words that G.

My big fan was going all night, however there was also a very helpful breeze (about force 2/3) coming in the windows at the back of the house so I decamped into there and I slept better than normal. Now I'm melting though and my pond has dried up.

Ar$e

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Today I have had visit from our member Brush Veteran, aka Grahame Wareham. I've mentioned in the past the PN was used as a testing bed for the Heljan 02, Grahame having been very heavily involved in its inception and development. I received as recompense for allowing use of the layout a free loco. Unfortunately though it ran perfectly on DC we had problems when fitting a decoder. Grahame worked on it for ages, but after he left problems arose again, and a replacement did not seem to solve them. A different decoder seemed to do the trick, but again soon after I got the dreaded "cannot read CV".

Today Grahame brought another replacement loco, already decoder fitted, and there were no problems. Here she is.

post-98-0-94927600-1469025666_thumb.jpg

So now I have a fully functioning 02/4. I then tried the "dead" loco, which had been sitting in a stock box, and would you believe, it came up with correct manufacturer code, and loco ID, but decoder version read 255, which I know doesn't exist. A call to Jeremy at Digitrains revealed that apparently this is not unusual with ESU decoders, and they still work OK. This one did. :scratchhead: Nevertheless Grahame took it away, and left me the replacement which he had personally selected for me. I cannot imagine customer service of a higher order than that I got today. That was not all though. I had mentioned to Grahame that I would also like an 02/3 eventually, and out came another box, again personally selected and tested.

post-98-0-19939500-1469026154_thumb.jpg

Both locos ran smoothly and silently immediately, and are a great addition to my fleet. Grahame has worked tirelessly to deal with the problems that arose when the Tangos first arrived, and I for one am a very satisfied customer.

Even this was not all. Grahame spotted this, and snaffled it for me.

post-98-0-25199600-1469026398_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-96918400-1469026422_thumb.jpg

Correct for 1957 he tells me, and he knows plenty about buses. Thus, yet more generosity means I have something to grace the forecourt now, and the driver will be educated as to how to show the correct destination. I am doubly fortunate in that another bus will arrive in the fullness of time, thanks to the generosity of one of the thread's regular contibutors. Who knows, one of them might even finish up on a bridge. :jester:

The 02s will now be handed over to Tim to put them into suitably work stained condition, and to put on smaller cabside numbers, as I think these are a tad too big. New England is suffering a temporary shortage of WDs, so these have been drafted in to take their place on the coal trains to and from London.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Blimey G. Who is this wonderful chappy? I do hope Heljan decide to do a decent SR loco such as a W tank (for example) and then I could get him to come around to the duck loft and do some testing on an authentic piece of railway for the prototype.

Does he happen to like Western National items as well?

That is one handsome (well two I suppose) beast that O2 and even I can make note of several detail differences.

Melted duck of dried up 36E 

• RMweb Premium

G Could I trouble you to email this to your lovely friend?

post-2326-0-87763300-1469029905_thumb.jpg

....and perhaps just mention that there are no decent RTR Bulleid catering coaches or loose stock BCKs (D2406 I believe they are but can check for him. I know he will be impressed).

All the best and the wind has changed for this evening's slumber; you should be more comfortable.

Sincerely, 

same duck as just now.

• Like 2

Today I have had visit from our member Brush Veteran, aka Grahame Wareham. I've mentioned in the past the PN was used as a testing bed for the Heljan 02, Grahame having been very heavily involved in its inception and development. I received as recompense for allowing use of the layout a free loco. Unfortunately though it ran perfectly on DC we had problems when fitting a decoder. Grahame worked on it for ages, but after he left problems arose again, and a replacement did not seem to solve them. A different decoder seemed to do the trick, but again soon after I got the dreaded "cannot read CV".

Today Grahame brought another replacement loco, already decoder fitted, and there were no problems. Here she is.

attachicon.gif63983.jpg

So now I have a fully functioning 02/4. I then tried the "dead" loco, which had been sitting in a stock box, and would you believe, it came up with correct manufacturer code, and loco ID, but decoder version read 255, which I know doesn't exist. A call to Jeremy at Digitrains revealed that apparently this is not unusual with ESU decoders, and they still work OK. This one did. :scratchhead: Nevertheless Grahame took it away, and left me the replacement which he had personally selected for me. I cannot imagine customer service of a higher order than that I got today. That was not all though. I had mentioned to Grahame that I would also like an 02/3 eventually, and out came another box, again personally selected and tested.

attachicon.gif63952.jpg

Both locos ran smoothly and silently immediately, and are a great addition to my fleet. Grahame has worked tirelessly to deal with the problems that arose when the Tangos first arrived, and I for one am a very satisfied customer.

Even this was not all. Grahame spotted this, and snaffled it for me.

attachicon.gifbus 1.jpg

attachicon.gifbus 2.jpg

Correct for 1957 he tells me, and he knows plenty about buses. Thus, yet more generosity means I have something to grace the forecourt now, and the driver will be educated as to how to show the correct destination. I am doubly fortunate in that another bus will arrive in the fullness of time, thanks to the generosity of one of the thread's regular contibutors. Who knows, one of them might even finish up on a bridge. :jester:

The 02s will now be handed over to Tim to put them into suitably work stained condition, and to put on smaller cabside numbers, as I think these are a tad too big. New England is suffering a temporary shortage of WDs, so these have been drafted in to take their place on the coal trains to and from London.

Well, I 've just replied here and managed to delete it, so I'll start again!

Stewart

Edited by stewartingram

OK lets start again. I don't know what I did there.

With regards to the bus, good purchase Gilbert.....but....

That EFE model is of ECOC LM923. This was purchased s/h from Eastern National in Tilling Green livery in 1966, and worked for Eastern Counties until withdrawal in 1971.

A brief digest of what I tried to say earlier.

As supplied, the EFE model is of a bus that ECOC got s/h in 1966. However it can easily assume the id of one of there own delivered 8/57-11/58, though the paint colour is a shade dark.

I don't know what was happenning with my posts but please feel free to ask questions?

Stewart

A quick update on the "bridge bus".

Pics I've just taken on my phone, the scenics of the layout are far from complete, and the finish on all the buses needs attention. Taking pics shows them up!

post-2049-0-90029700-1469042628.jpg

The Corgi/OOC model, in its Leyland guise as an ECOC AP class, though I have removed the blind over the platform. This is the model that appears on the bridge sometimes. Used only in the Norfolk area. The body is of the "lowbridge" style with a sunken gangway on the offside upstairs, and 4 seats aside. 13'9" high.

post-2049-0-67329300-1469042724.jpg

The AP with the "highbridge" conversion, 14'6" high. Normal centre gangway and 2+2 seats upstairs. Known by ECOC as an LKH.

post-2049-0-27589300-1469042904.jpg

The LKH on its own.

post-2049-0-48908500-1469042934.jpg

LKH + LK, both Bristol chassis but showing the highbridge and lowbridge versions. The LK is as more often done by Corgi, though this has been reworked into an ECOC example.

post-2049-0-36863700-1469043028.jpg

Just for comparison, an 8' wide version of the LK is shown with the 7'6" wide LKH and LK. These had a Bristol KSW chassis, the model is from a resin kit.

post-2049-0-06030300-1469043135.jpg

AP + LKH + LK + LK(KSW) shown together.

I am at present making another LKH, also a Leyland version of the LKH as well. Since doing the LKH I've become unhappy with the glazing as it has misted, not sure what to do with that.

Stewart

• Like 5

A brief digest of what I tried to say earlier.

As supplied, the EFE model is of a bus that ECOC got s/h in 1966. However it can easily assume the id of one of there own delivered 8/57-11/58, though the paint colour is a shade dark.

I don't know what was happenning with my posts but please feel free to ask questions?

Stewart

That's what I implied to Gilbert when I gave it to him Stewart, I told him that the destination and fleet number would have to be changed for exact authenticity and I didn't even know whether any of these four vehicles (LL431-434 WPW631-4) ever operated from the ECOC Peterborough area depots. At least it adds a further splash of local colour and atmosphere to what has become one of RM Web's most topical threads.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A quick update on the "bridge bus".

Pics I've just taken on my phone, the scenics of the layout are far from complete, and the finish on all the buses needs attention. Taking pics shows them up!

attachicon.gif1 AP.jpg

The Corgi/OOC model, in its Leyland guise as an ECOC AP class, though I have removed the blind over the platform. This is the model that appears on the bridge sometimes. Used only in the Norfolk area. The body is of the "lowbridge" style with a sunken gangway on the offside upstairs, and 4 seats aside. 13'9" high.

attachicon.gif2 AP + LKH.jpg

The AP with the "highbridge" conversion, 14'6" high. Normal centre gangway and 2+2 seats upstairs. Known by ECOC as an LKH.

attachicon.gif3 LKH.jpg

The LKH on its own.

attachicon.gif4 LKH + LK.jpg

LKH + LK, both Bristol chassis but showing the highbridge and lowbridge versions. The LK is as more often done by Corgi, though this has been reworked into an ECOC example.

attachicon.gif5 LKH + LK +LK-KSW.jpg

Just for comparison, an 8' wide version of the LK is shown with the 7'6" wide LKH and LK. These had a Bristol KSW chassis, the model is from a resin kit.

attachicon.gif6 AP + LKH + LK + LK-KSW.jpg

AP + LKH + LK + LK(KSW) shown together.

I am at present making another LKH, also a Leyland version of the LKH as well. Since doing the LKH I've become unhappy with the glazing as it has misted, not sure what to do with that.

Stewart

Hi Stewart

What is the basis of the highbridge K ....what ECOC called a LKH......please?

Edited by Clive Mortimore

ECOC defined the highbridge version as an LKH, on a Bristol K or KSW chassis.

Mine (Gilbert's) takes a Corgi/OOC K, has the roof sliced off and plasticard inserted to raise it. There was an article in a small bus mag of which I have a copy.

Difficult to cut the roof off, but worth doing I reckon.

Stewart

• RMweb Premium

Sums up some parts of RMWeb in a few words that G.

My big fan was going all night, however there was also a very helpful breeze (about force 2/3) coming in the windows at the back of the house so I decamped into there and I slept better than normal. Now I'm melting though and my pond has dried up.

Ar$e

Mrs M had her helicopter on all last night, still hadn't taken off by the morning...............................one can but hope.

• RMweb Premium

ECOC defined the highbridge version as an LKH, on a Bristol K or KSW chassis.

Mine (Gilbert's) takes a Corgi/OOC K, has the roof sliced off and plasticard inserted to raise it. There was an article in a small bus mag of which I have a copy.

Difficult to cut the roof off, but worth doing I reckon.

Stewart

Cheers Stewart,

Might have a bash at that one day.

The highbridge ECW body I would like to do is the style as on the KSW. Only four and a little windows down stairs compared to the five of a K. But not a KSW but a PD2, Sheffield Transport had five (or so) ECW bodied PDs with tin fronts, apart form the tin front they looked quite smart.

• Like 1