Peterborough North

great northern

Peter, there are many modellers of British-outline railways in the Melbourne area. DougN is one who models the LNER and is an RMWeb member. Many of the others are members of the British Railway Modellers of Australia - see www.brma.asn.au for more info. I know that they would be very happy to give you whatever help and support they can.

Sorry Gilbert for hijacking your topic with this plug for BRMA.

Yeah, I've met a couple who model in O and P4 respectively, but STILL need to get around to joining BRMA!!! 

Been meaning to for a while now  :banghead:  :banghead:

Peter

• RMweb Premium

Peter, there are many modellers of British-outline railways in the Melbourne area. DougN is one who models the LNER and is an RMWeb member. Many of the others are members of the British Railway Modellers of Australia - see www.brma.asn.au for more info. I know that they would be very happy to give you whatever help and support they can.

Sorry Gilbert for hijacking your topic with this plug for BRMA.

That's great as Peter can probably get 'live' rather than 'remote' advice and actual hands on help.

Phil

Here is a follow up to the discussion we had quite recently about how parcels and other things got transferred from one platform to another at PN. This image recently appeared on the peterboroughimages.co.uk website, and is credited as copyright of the NRM.

attachicon.gifPbNorthParcels.jpg

It all seems fairly manual, doesn't it? this morning's photo is another of 60800, now waiting for the off.

attachicon.gif800 2 small.jpg

Now you've posted that parcels image, I do remember seeing it happen! What a wonderful picture.

Stewart

The Kirk kits, if they are even available ... were OK in their day, 30 years ago, but are really not anywhere near today's standards.

I'm going to disagree with Gilbert and the Duck here. If you're prepared to put the time and effort in you can get a result from the Kirk kits which is every bit as good as any other LNER carriage available today. You have to recognise their limitations, but if you keep what's worth keeping (everything above the solebar, essentially) and make use of the extra components which are available you can get a decent result.

In this box there are kits for the same carriage diagram from Comet, MJT, Kirk and a repainted Hornby. Other than the Hornby, it's not easy to tell which is which.

awaiting_parts.jpg

You also end up with lighter carriages which if you're using RTR locos and want a realistically long train is a consideration.

To give you an idea, this is the kind of thing you need to be doing:

100_2135.jpg

I've used the Kirk floor there, now I'd chuck that away as well and make one out of Paxolin. You can also cut and shut Kirk kits to make other diagrams. This started life in Ian Kirk's moulding machine:

ECJS_3_5.jpg

I can't find pictures of two completed carriages of the same diagram, one from a Kirk kit and one of brass, but hopefully you have the idea. Don't dismiss them that easily, they still have their place.

Edited by jwealleans
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I'm going to disagree with Gilbert and the Duck here. If you're prepared to put the time and effort in you can get a result from the Kirk kits which is every bit as good as any other LNER carriage available today. You have to recognise their limitations, but if you keep what's worth keeping (everything above the solebar, essentially) and make use of the extra components which are available you can get a decent result.

In this box there are kits for the same carriage diagram from Comet, MJT, Kirk and a repainted Hornby. Other than the Hornby, it's not easy to tell which is which.

awaiting_parts_zpsnzdfvloo.jpg

You also end up with lighter carriages which if you're using RTR locos and want a realistically long train is a consideration.

To give you an idea, this is the kind of thing you need to be doing:

100_2135_zpsb449b2ea.jpg

I've used the Kirk floor there, now I'd chuck that away as well and make one out of Paxolin. You can also cut and shut Kirk kits to make other diagrams. This started life in Ian Kirk's moulding machine:

ECJS_3_5_zpsfmkcry0s.jpg

I can't find pictures of two completed carriages of the same diagram, one from a Kirk kit and one of brass, but hopefully you have the idea. Don't dismiss them that easily, they still have their place.

Point taken, however you are a well known genius  :O

Blimey they look damn fine old chap.

Phil

Just one more this evening. The Sentinel is still having a rest, while Flying Fox rolls by with an express containing portions from Ripon, Leeds, Bradford, and I think,Halifax.

attachicon.gif106 and sentinel small.jpg

There needs to be a "Beautiful" button on this! Absolutely love this one, definitely one of my favourite shots on the thread so far! It's certainly improved by the recent additions to the departmental area, the fence and the person standing there as the train goes past. Also the new Spital Bridge is brilliant, it and the other buildings are certainly incredibly detailed models and are a credit to their maker, Peter Leyland (Gravy Train).

Peter

(edited for spelling...)

Edited by 60012 Commonwealth of Australia
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

That's a lovely photo. Just one question, and that is who's kit is that, I have gone all blank! I can only think of Wills off the top of my head.

With best regards,

Rob.

You are probably correct Rob. It was built by Tony Geary, and featured on both Stoke and Charwelton. I bought it when Tony decided to go O gauge. If it was built in the early 80s would Wills be the only source, or would DJH have been available by then?  It has the look of Willls to me though.

• RMweb Premium

I took another photo of Flying Fox as it slowed for the station stop, and tried to include the B17 in the background, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked.

post-98-0-50714000-1468830417_thumb.jpg

After the A3 had passed, a 9F was allowed across onto the Up slow with some more coal in tow.

post-98-0-66874200-1468830471_thumb.jpg

I've not quite got the angle I want on this either. The camera needs to be suspended in mid air, and I can't then hold it still for long enough.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

I took another photo of Flying Fox as it slowed for the station stop, and tried to include the B17 in the background, but it didn't work as well as I would have liked.

attachicon.gif106 and 1630 small.jpg

After the A3 had passed, a 9F was allowed across onto the Up slow with some more coal in tow.

attachicon.gif9F 2 small.jpg

I've not quite got the angle I want on this either. The camera needs to be suspended in mid air, and I can't then hold it still for long enough.

Clever sort of telescopic selfie stick, or maybe a firm sponge (I heard sniggering............who was it?).

Phil

Just noticed that 12 wheeler. Is that a Kirky effort?

It is. I can't claim all the credit - it came to me part built via Andy Rush, started by Nigel Hunt (both sadly no longer with us) and I finished it with help from Graeme King's resin components. It's at least two Kirk kits grafted together.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A while back someone asked if I take pictures of moving locomotives.

post-98-0-59098600-1468878119_thumb.jpg

And the answer is, yes but not deliberately. I didn't quite turn the power off, and so the 9F sort of sneaked up on me.

post-98-0-34239800-1468878250_thumb.jpg

and a V2 with a KX- York parcels, included only because I didn't have to do any work on it. You may gather that I am rather disenchanted with things at the moment.

• Like 8

and a V2 with a KX- York parcels, included only because I didn't have to do any work on it. 

Gilbert, that is a cracking picture, even more so if it's unedited, the Bridge frames the engine really nicely I think.

I am so sorry that you're feeling a bit down, I hope that everything is Ok and  if you have things going on that have you feeling disenchanted, You might need to re evaluate if spending so much time every day, taking and editing pictures for the hordes of PN tragics (ie. us lot)  is the best thing for YOU.

If it's becoming more like a daily chore, rather than fun (which is really what having a great trainset should be about). Maybe a little break from entertaining us might be in order until you get your mojo back.

I am positive the last thing any of your followers (sounds like a cult) would want, is for you to feel that you have another thing to do for our benefit, if you are not feeling up to speed at the moment. 

All the best

• RMweb Gold

Please don't be too disenchated Gilbert, any layout where you could produce a picture like this has got to be enchanting!

post-12062-0-81789300-1468906618_thumb.jpg

A cracking shot which I now have has my wallpaper.  Hope you don't mind the bit of additional cropping!

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for your concern chaps. I had come home hot, tired and with a bad back after yet another awful round of golf, and it is that which is spoiling things for me at present, as I can't see a way out of it. I don't have problems with what I do on here, as it really doesn't take all that long, and it is a spur to go up and actually use the layout regularly. I now have to go and act as Starter for Lady President's day for two hours - such joy. Two more shots before I go.

post-98-0-65082800-1468911929_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-60615200-1468911961_thumb.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Now then G. The weather is too hot just now, but by the end of the week we are back to normal. Can I recommend a rail trip to somewhere interesting. Grantham to Lincoln for example. Go for a wander, spend some dosh in Digitrains, have a cool drink and then return to Grantham for an hour's spotting and relaxation.

Drop me a PM this evening if the ladies let you free after the competition.

Alternatively just go to Attenborough NWLT and look at some ducks.

Phil 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

It is part of the human condition to be periodically dissatisfied with things. Golf is one of Man's most frustrating inventions - says one who has stood and watched Tiger Woods struggling to hold his par at Sandwich!

Ted and Phil have offered sound advice. Your back most needs rest and a little focussed therapy, perhaps. Once the back is comfy your swing will resume obedience, no doubt.

Take the proverbial chill-pill, and bask in the knowledge that PN remains one of the foremost models of our time. You have achieved. Smile!

• Like 1

It is part of the human condition to be periodically dissatisfied with things. Golf is one of Man's most frustrating inventions - says one who has stood and watched Tiger Woods struggling to hold his par at Sandwich!

Ted and Phil have offered sound advice. Your back most needs rest and a little focussed therapy, perhaps. Once the back is comfy your swing will resume obedience, no doubt.

Take the proverbial chill-pill, and bask in the knowledge that PN remains one of the foremost models of our time. You have achieved. Smile!

It certainly is! I'm currently taking the time to redesign my layout so the station is on a slight curve to allow for much more prototypical curves, partly on Gilbert's advice and also partly as there are layouts such as Peterborough North which are the standards which I would really really like to achieve, but can't do that with 1.2m curves in the scenic section! I've said it before and I'll say it again: If I can get Dunoon anywhere near the standard Peterborough North is at then I will be very happy indeed!

Peter