Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

The North-east was liberally supplied with excellent railway stations, of grand appearance.  We were early on to the job of course!  The North-eastern was a rich railway, all that coal.  Of course they wasted a lot of the money on far too many signals, which sprouted like weeds!

• Like 1

And not just stations (and signals) but impressive bridges, viaducts, coal-staithes, some of the largest dock installations in the country, and track and lines with very few restrictions on loading! (Except of course for one-or-two structures such as the splendid Thomas Bouch designed viaducts on the Stainmore line.)

Put all that together with quite a plethora of main-line and diversionary routes, some severe gradients and sharp curves, brilliant locomotives and rolling stock and one really has to wonder why anyone would model anywhere else!

Still, I suppose there are one-or-two nice (for 'nice' read 'excellent/superb/magnificent') models of places on the GN !

Excuse me, I must get back to re-furbishing some cast-iron buffer stops. (NER Northern Division circa 1890).

Edited by drmditch
  • Like 1

Gilbert

Those canopy shots are really getting to be the acme of your pictures. You can almost hear and smell the noise and steam as well as the announcements. The passengers look very good too. All in all they are almost perfect.  There has been a comment  here that the track "makes" PN pictures and that is true to a large extent. Track is such an important part of the railway scene we are trying to create. Why then do so many put up with ghastly out of scale trackwork which bears no resemblance to the real thing?

Martin Long

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert

Those canopy shots are really getting to be the acme of your pictures. You can almost hear and smell the noise and steam as well as the announcements. The passengers look very good too. All in all they are almost perfect.  There has been a comment  here that the track "makes" PN pictures and that is true to a large extent. Track is such an important part of the railway scene we are trying to create. Why then do so many put up with ghastly out of scale trackwork which bears no resemblance to the real thing?

Martin Long

The under the roof shots bear out my theory about model people, which I continue to think are the greatest destroyers of reality in most model scenes. Those on the platforms though are sufficiently far away, and to some degree in shadow, so that their manifest deficiencies don't show up so badly, as one just gets a general impression. For that reason, most of the figures on the layout will continue to congregate under there.

As to track, I was always as guilty as most are in that I never looked or thought further than Peco. I didn't rate my chances of making my own to any reasonable standard, so things would have been falling off all the time if I'd done so. Fortunately, I realised that PN couldn't be done unless the track was hand built, and it has indeed made an enormous difference.

• Like 2

Totally agree with you Gilbert about model people being the ruin of all attempts at realism in photo shoots and in my time seen many a really fine layout  victim to the disease of ghastly blobs of disfigured white metal making mockery of fine locos, track work and buildings such as your PN and, even worse, deliberate close ups !

As you said, best place for 'em is under the dark confines of the overall roof  ( or, better still, back in the melting pot ! )  

Allan. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning. Lovely and sunny here, so I'll try some more pictures later. First we have some more from the last shoot though, and it may come as a shock to hear that I'm very pleased with these two, given my usual whinging. I've never really succeeded in getting the effect I want on black and white images - they always seem too light and sort of wishy washy, not enough "body" in them. These at last achieve what I've been wanting to do

attachicon.gif01 again.JPG

attachicon.gifA3 from under bridge.JPG

The next vexed question will be whether I can remember how I did it.

I don't care how you did Gilbert but those two views are tremendous - real railway 'feel' to them in the sort of way somme of the prototype magazines used to manage back in black & white illustration days.

• RMweb Premium

I don't care how you did Gilbert but those two views are tremendous - real railway 'feel' to them in the sort of way somme of the prototype magazines used to manage back in black & white illustration days.

Thanks Mike. That is exactly what I've been trying to do, just get that sort of 50s magazine look. I can't put my finger on the difference in these, unless it is that I've just darkened them somewhat, but it is really nice to have achieved it for once.

Thanks Mike. That is exactly what I've been trying to do, just get that sort of 50s magazine look. I can't put my finger on the difference in these, unless it is that I've just darkened them somewhat, but it is really nice to have achieved it for once.

Well, the photo' files from the camera will tell you some of what you want to know and if you are using Photoshop or Lightroom the "History" panel (?) will list all the changes that you made. I use Lightroom a lot and find the non-destructive nature of the editing process and ability to move back through it a real plus.

Chaz

Edited by chaz

That photo' of No. 48 with the goods brake of the mineral to the left is one of your best. The tight cropping gives it the feel of a 35mm shot with a 135 telephoto lens on the front of the camera. The sort of gear I would have died for, given that I never had better than a Brownie 127 in my trainspotting days.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert I just want to mention your piece in BR Modelling. A really clever and even cunning way of dealing with the issue of provision of coaches. Clear and concise and lovely pics (from Andy Y?)

I do not remember seeing an article such as this before.

The two B & W pics in post #13332 are magnificent.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

The North-east was liberally supplied with excellent railway stations, of grand appearance.  We were early on to the job of course!  The North-eastern was a rich railway, all that coal.  Of course they wasted a lot of the money on far too many signals, which sprouted like weeds!

What was it that Edmund Denison was quoted as saying? "There is no money in stations", or words to that effect.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert I just want to mention your piece in BR Modelling. A really clever and even cunning way of dealing with the issue of provision of coaches. Clear and concise and lovely pics (from Andy Y?)

I do not remember seeing an article such as this before.

The two B & W pics in post #13332 are magnificent.

Phil

I'd almost forgotten that article Phil, as I sent it in ages ago. Andy Y rang me a few days back and told me it was in the next edition, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on the pics. I don't think Andy took any of the fiddle yard. :scratchhead:  Come to think of it, I can't remember taking any either. :senile: All will be revealed in due course when I get my hands on a copy of the mag. I'm glad you enjoyed this morning's pictures, as I said, I'm well chuffed with them.

• Like 1

I'd almost forgotten that article Phil, as I sent it in ages ago. Andy Y rang me a few days back and told me it was in the next edition, but I haven't seen it yet, so I can't comment on the pics. I don't think Andy took any of the fiddle yard. :scratchhead:  Come to think of it, I can't remember taking any either. :senile: All will be revealed in due course when I get my hands on a copy of the mag. I'm glad you enjoyed this morning's pictures, as I said, I'm well chuffed with them.

There's at least one of the fiddle yard. I enjoyed the article too and I think you make an excellent point that any years' and planning and saving for the 'layout of a lifetime' is the way to achieve an impressive array of stock. Of course, it shows impressive single vision to know the time period and rough location to make that possible. I think your ex-fifties spotters generation has it simpler In that regard in that there are clear memories of a colourful and variegated railway to fall back on. For us younger post steam types, we have to try an decide what we want which is harder than it seems. I have probably narrowed to a location. Period - no. Desire for a cross route from another railway - yes. Easily distracted by offering of a new model - all the time. Residual liking for LNER borne from childhood reading of OS Nock Gresley Pacifics - yes. Decisions decisions.

I think other research based articles would be of interest too. For example, I know from reading the thread, you've built your operating sequence from multiple historic sources. How you did that, how you interpreted the sources, how you decode a WTT into a set of stock etc would, I'm sure be of interest. It is to me so I'd hope and suspect it would be to others as well

Agreed as well on this morning's pictures. I'd note they look like they're from a lower angle than normal. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why they work so well?

David

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

There's at least one of the fiddle yard. I enjoyed the article too and I think you make an excellent point that any years' and planning and saving for the 'layout of a lifetime' is the way to achieve an impressive array of stock. Of course, it shows impressive single vision to know the time period and rough location to make that possible. I think your ex-fifties spotters generation has it simpler In that regard in that there are clear memories of a colourful and variegated railway to fall back on. For us younger post steam types, we have to try an decide what we want which is harder than it seems. I have probably narrowed to a location. Period - no. Desire for a cross route from another railway - yes. Easily distracted by offering of a new model - all the time. Residual liking for LNER borne from childhood reading of OS Nock Gresley Pacifics - yes. Decisions decisions.

I think other research based articles would be of interest too. For example, I know from reading the thread, you've built your operating sequence from multiple historic sources. How you did that, how you interpreted the sources, how you decode a WTT into a set of stock etc would, I'm sure be of interest. It is to me so I'd hope and suspect it would be to others as well

Agreed as well on this morning's pictures. I'd note they look like they're from a lower angle than normal. Perhaps that's one of the reasons why they work so well?

David

I've learned over the years David that unless I work very hard to concentrate on a single place and period I would never produce anything at all. I have nearly 20 wasted years to prove it. The period between about 1956 and 1962 was always easy to identify, but I spent forever "researching" locations, many of them not even ER, let alone ECML. :O

In the end I finally managed to acquire sufficient discipline to force myself to make those lists which I showed on the very first page of this thread, and once I'd done that it all became a lot easier to bring everything together. I'd decided on ECML by the late 80s, but not where it should be, so that's why the locos and stock got built up. I tried to have everything, and so got nothing, and since then it has basically been a struggle to acknowledge reality, in more ways than one. I was very lucky that the time when reality clicked in coincided with lifestyle changes that made the whole thing feasible, but I can say without hesitation that the imposition of self discipline was the vital thing so far as I'm concerned. It works even now, by preventing me from giving way to impulse which would destroy what has been achieved so far. Thus, my longing looks at the new Hornby Merchant Navy will remain just that.

I'm hoping to do at least one more article about how PN runs, and I'm grateful both for your suggestions, and for the indcation that these things really are of interest.

• RMweb Premium

We have now reached that early afternoon period when the number of expresses slackens for a while, and the WTT shows that paths for some more ordinary trains could be found. Thus we have some more coal on its way to London behind an 02, but confined to the Up slow.

post-98-0-98067200-1480935393_thumb.jpg

and it doesn't get very far before being stopped to allow the passage of Wolf of Badenoch on the Down main, heading a Class C parcels on its way to York.

post-98-0-85740300-1480935507_thumb.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I've learned over the years David that unless I work very hard to concentrate on a single place and period I would never produce anything at all. I have nearly 20 wasted years to prove it. The period between about 1956 and 1962 was always easy to identify, but I spent forever "researching" locations, many of them not even ER, let alone ECML. :O

In the end I finally managed to acquire sufficient discipline to force myself to make those lists which I showed on the very first page of this thread, and once I'd done that it all became a lot easier to bring everything together. I'd decided on ECML by the late 80s, but not where it should be, so that's why the locos and stock got built up. I tried to have everything, and so got nothing, and since then it has basically been a struggle to acknowledge reality, in more ways than one. I was very lucky that the time when reality clicked in coincided with lifestyle changes that made the whole thing feasible, but I can say without hesitation that the imposition of self discipline was the vital thing so far as I'm concerned. It works even now, by preventing me from giving way to impulse which would destroy what has been achieved so far. Thus, my longing looks at the new Hornby Merchant Navy will remain just that.

I'm hoping to do at least one more article about how PN runs, and I'm grateful both for your suggestions, and for the indication that these things really are of interest.

You can stare at mine (Packet that is  :scared: ); No. '28 due in Feb I think and DCC fitted as well (maybe).

Philth

• Like 1

Just a couple of routine shots tonight. First, an A3 portrait.

attachicon.gif48.JPG

and then a DMU off on its way to Grimsby.

attachicon.gifDMU leaving.JPG

Driver still hasn't got the hang of this destination blind thingy.

I remember travelling in those Cravens two car DMUs. The family soon learnt to ride in the E564xx driving trailer cars. The vibration in the E512xx motor brake second cars could be quite unpleasant, causing the bus-type seats to quiver and blur. And then there was that strange moment when there was a pause in both the noise and vibration - a gear change?

Of course the big excitement was to sit just behind the driving cab for a view up the line - unless the driver pulled down the blinds!

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

I remember travelling in those Cravens two car DMUs. The family soon learnt to ride in the E564xx driving trailer cars. The vibration in the E512xx motor brake second cars could be quite unpleasant, causing the bus-type seats to quiver and blur. And then there was that strange moment when there was a pause in both the noise and vibration - a gear change?

Of course the big excitement was to sit just behind the driving cab for a view up the line - unless the driver pulled down the blinds!

Chaz

Pause in noise and vibration was usually the elastic band drive breaking  :onthequiet:

B. Ogcart

• RMweb Gold

Quite right! That was a pause between gears one and two. The engines would have been increasing in their whining and whirring, then a sudden drop to zero, as described, followed by the wheels on the rails only, then, after gear two was engaged, the whining and whirring would start to slowly increase. It was quite an experience! Something the second generation units have not quite achieved! lol.

Best regards,

Rob.

Chaz

Of course you'd now pay double the fare to travel in the power car........................with the added fumes of the Webasto heaters and leaking injector pipes!  Also the farty exhaust and rattling luggage racks!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Lincoln City 3 Oldham Athletic 2. :imsohappy: :danced:  This could not be allowed to pass unremarked. Back to pictures now though, and another shot of the waiting 02.

post-98-0-35589100-1480976892_thumb.jpg

And then back under the roof, as 60506 passes through.

post-98-0-39450200-1480976956_thumb.jpg

Another shove the camera under and hope shot, so not as sharp as I'd like. Did I mention that Lincoln City beat a league one team?

• Like 17