Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

And now for another of my experiments in recreating a prototype scene. I am not aware of the identity of the copyright holder of this image, but will of course acknowledge it if notified, and remove it if so required.

attachicon.gif60030 001.jpg

So, here we have Golden Fleece on the Down Scotsman, negotiating the southern dog's leg curve. I tried three different ways of doing this, and I'll show them all to see which you prefer.

attachicon.gif30 1.JPG

attachicon.gif30 2.JPG

attachicon.gif30 3.JPG

As usual, none of them is right, but how could they be? The post with the platform numbers exists on the model, but sits precisely where the camera has to go, and so had to be removed. The porter refused to budge as usual. The severeness and radius of the curve isn't too far out though. Hornby's dull green is a hindrance, but 60030 hasn't had it dealt with yet. I have to say I'm more encouraged by this than most.

I very much like the first model picture Gilbert.

• RMweb Gold

I am in agreement with Trevor Page, the first photo is the nearest recreation to the prototype photo'.  You done really well with it in the first one. And I'm glad you are feeling better.

With best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Premium

And now for another of my experiments in recreating a prototype scene. I am not aware of the identity of the copyright holder of this image, but will of course acknowledge it if notified, and remove it if so required.

So, here we have Golden Fleece on the Down Scotsman, negotiating the southern dog's leg curve. I tried three different ways of doing this, and I'll show them all to see which you prefer.

attachicon.gif30 1.JPG

attachicon.gif30 2.JPG

attachicon.gif30 3.JPG

As usual, none of them is right, but how could they be? The post with the platform numbers exists on the model, but sits precisely where the camera has to go, and so had to be removed. The porter refused to budge as usual. The severeness and radius of the curve isn't too far out though. Hornby's dull green is a hindrance, but 60030 hasn't had it dealt with yet. I have to say I'm more encouraged by this than most.

Number 3 for me. The angle of the loco seems closest to the original.

attachicon.gif30 1.JPG

attachicon.gif30 2.JPG

attachicon.gif30 3.JPG

No 1 gets my vote, but would feel very happy to have taken any of them

If I can be really annoying, is not that A4 running on FB rails?   :devil:   presumably relaid sometime after the time your model is set?

In other respects your recreations work very nicely indeed and I would be so pleased to have such a layout.

• RMweb Premium

If I can be really annoying, is not that A4 running on FB rails?   :devil:   presumably relaid sometime after the time your model is set?

In other respects your recreations work very nicely indeed and I would be so pleased to have such a layout.

The caption on the original image claims it was taken "not later than 1955", but that I think is wrong. It's difficult to be sure, but I'd say the A4 has a double chimney for a start. There are also references to the Scotsman set still having a teak diner, but it did in 1958 according to the official records, and to "teak stock in the bay", but again that looks as though it is maroon to me. I think it is later than 1955, but how much later I don't know. Late 50s or even early 60s I'd say. I don't know when there was a major track relaying done.

The caption on the original image claims it was taken "not later than 1955", but that I think is wrong. It's difficult to be sure, but I'd say the A4 has a double chimney for a start. There are also references to the Scotsman set still having a teak diner, but it did in 1958 according to the official records, and to "teak stock in the bay", but again that looks as though it is maroon to me. I think it is later than 1955, but how much later I don't know. Late 50s or even early 60s I'd say. I don't know when there was a major track relaying done.

Of course "teak stock in the bay" might refer to the fact that the coaches are LNER Gresleys, rather than any claim as to their livery. But you are quite right, 60030 has a double chimney in the photo. The thing to look for is the amount of space between the front of the chimney "skirt" and the line of hinges on the top of the "cod's mouth" which is significantly larger with a single chimney. When did Golden Fleece acquire its double chimney?

Chaz

I'd agree that the A4 has a double chimney (front numberplate has been lowered) and the stock to the left is maroon.

Are you sure the numberplate was lowered on the double chimney locos? I've just checked some album photos - and they appear to be in much the same position before and after, the top lamp-iron providing us with a useful measuring stick. The numberplate was mounted on the hinged "cods-mouth" and there would be no need to move it, would there?

• RMweb Premium

60030 got its double chimney in May 58. I've cropped a couple of images, seen below, and I agree that the numberplate doesn't seem to have been lowered. Even TW wasn't sure whether this was double or single when we discussed the photograph some time ago.

post-98-0-64416700-1480499520_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-05361400-1480499538_thumb.jpg

Not the same engine, but good for illustrative purposes.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

That last lot of photos just shows how close you have managed to get to the real thing, superb!

As for single vs double chimney identification, look at the superheater header panel below the chimney (just above the cods mouth top hinge), on double chimneys it has a cut out, whereas on single chimney it is a full rectangle.

Cheers

Tony

This morning's image tackles the subject head on.

attachicon.gif800 head on.JPG

a nice wide angle view, though how the cameraman got permission to stand where he did, I have no idea.

Especially as he must be on a step-ladder! or he could be standing on the front footplate of a loco - so not an A4 then... :jester:

No matter, any picture that includes Green Arrow must be good. More.....more.....maestro!

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

Especially as he must be on a step-ladder! or he could be standing on the front footplate of a loco - so not an A4 then... :jester:

No matter, any picture that includes Green Arrow must be good. More.....more.....maestro!

Nothing wrong with a bit of levitation.

And we do have one more photo of Green Arrow, now simmering away and waiting for the off.

attachicon.gif800 south end.JPG

I've left this one wide angle too, as I think the goods on the Down slow, and the coaches in the bay frame it nicely.

The wide angle setting works well with the main subject at that distance, no "looming" distortion! The classic proportions of a V2 should never be distorted.

"The borrowed 01 returns from Tempsford with the Little Barford power station empties." ...with the crew cursing as coal dust blows off the tender and swirls around the cab? They must have hated turns like this when the loco had to run backwards.

Chaz

• Like 1

I just love the A4 pictures. I think their looks were greatly improved by the double chimney but concede that others feel almost as strongly about the earlier ones. I am so grateful to you Gilbert for my daily dose of instant nostalgia. I was amazed to see 62613 at PN as as far as I was aware it is sitting on shed in my railway room (garage!). Some digital trickery is going on I think!  

The memories supported by the pictures just keep getting better. In the earlier reference to Santa not bringing a Hornby Dublo train set and Gilbert say he got one but it was the Duchess rather than Silver King, well I wanted the Duchess (sorry) as it looked like a Brit to my young eyes and there were surely the best!  It took years before the rest caught up with Hornby Dublo's interpretation of valve gear. (Santa has been tasked this year to get a digital camera so I can get pictures like G takes but I am not holding my breath based on past performance!)

Martin Long

Off soon to a golf club which has a notice in the clubhouse stating "If you leave your clubs on view in your car, they will be stolen." Hardly a good advert?

Gilbert,

Are you sure you haven't left 5 words out.

:jester:  :jester:             "By one our Members"   :jester: :jester:

Coat, Hat exit.

Edited by CUTLER2579

Nice pictures! And excellent depth of field. Did you use focus stacking for the picture?

• RMweb Gold

Off soon to a golf club which has a notice in the clubhouse stating "If you leave your clubs on view in your car, they will be stolen." Hardly a good advert?

Well, it makes a change from the traditional admonishment to members not to wash their balls at the kitchen sink.