Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Despite being more of a classic 'model railway' view, the picture looking down from Crescent Bridge makes a nice change from the ground level shots, lovely though they are.  I wonder how high he climbed up the girders to get that shot ... 

Despite being more of a classic 'model railway' view, the picture looking down from Crescent Bridge makes a nice change from the ground level shots, lovely though they are.  I wonder how high he climbed up the girders to get that shot ... 

it usually involves a helicopter....

• RMweb Premium

it usually involves a helicopter....

I think he may have been standing on the parapet this time. Still a bit risky, I suppose, but I can't afford to hire a helicopter every week.

• Like 2

There is a problem with a lot of those trains, I'm afraid, in that they ran through on the Midland lines, which should be visible behind my Down slow line. I'd run out of room though, and sadly they can't be modelled, so I lose out on a lot of interesting traffic. All I can do is to run the Peterborough East - Leicester locals that stopped at PN, and I have cheated by including several Up trains that didn't call because there was no path for them.

At present I have a 4F, Stanier 2.6.4T, Standard 4MT, Compound and a D16 to cover these trains, with one or two more planned. A 3F gets a run now and then too, as I like it.

The B1s that got to Birmingham were on the daily train to and from Cleethorpes, and were from Immingham shed. That train ran via Lincoln Nottingham and Derby, so can't be used here. There were some B1s at Spital Bridge shed though, and they did run on the Leicester locals, so you never know, one might appear.

Which do you think is more of a compromise: leaving the Midland trains out altogeth because you don't have room for the lines they ran on; or simply running them 20ft further east than they should have been?

(And having thus demonstrated that you SHOULD run the Midland trains through on the slow line, for my next trick I shall prove that you can fit all the extra stock into the - two level ? - fiddle yard. Hmmmm. I think I'd better think that one out again. Still, you KNOW it makes sense.)

I particularly like that shot of the WD crossing back to the main against the light from the windows - functional beauty, nailed.

Alan

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Which do you think is more of a compromise: leaving the Midland trains out altogeth because you don't have room for the lines they ran on; or simply running them 20ft further east than they should have been?

(And having thus demonstrated that you SHOULD run the Midland trains through on the slow line, for my next trick I shall prove that you can fit all the extra stock into the - two level ? - fiddle yard. Hmmmm. I think I'd better think that one out again. Still, you KNOW it makes sense.)

I particularly like that shot of the WD crossing back to the main against the light from the windows - functional beauty, nailed.

Alan

The problem is Alan that the line occupancy at PN was such that it was virtually impossible to find paths for any more a lot of the time.  I would not therefore be happy to add any more, much though I might like to do it. It would also open the floodgates to goodness knows how many more locos and stock, which would not be a good idea, or so my bank manager, if I had one, would say.

The problem is Alan that the line occupancy at PN was such that it was virtually impossible to find paths for any more a lot of the time.  I would not therefore be happy to add any more, much though I might like to do it. It would also open the floodgates to goodness knows how many more locos and stock, which would not be a good idea, or so my bank manager, if I had one, would say.

Warning: Unknown: 1 result set(s) not freed. Use mysql_free_result to free result sets which were requested using mysql_query() in Unknown on line 0

If stock is a problem then perhaps some of us your followers could lend you some for such operations

• RMweb Premium

Just to see if I can post any pictures, here, I hope, is an L1 bringing in the stock for the 8.10pm to Grantham.

post-98-0-25755300-1488375941_thumb.jpg

Apparently, I can. The stock arrived as the 5.00pm from KX, which split at Hitchin, the rest of the train heading to Cambridge. Obviously intended for the posher passenger, this is all MK1 stock, the usual BSK SK at each end, but with an FK instead of a CK in the middle. Yet another prototype formation I can now make up from loose stock. :yes:

• Like 17

Ah yes, but that was line occupancy in reality. As you don't run your actual timetable in actual time, there is plenty of room to stretch the space-time continuum to allow Midland stock to transmogrify itself onto the GN lines to the south of Crescent Bridge, and to transmogrify itself back as soon as it has left the station.

If anyone objects, all you have to do is set phasars to 'stun' and remove them from the premises before they come round. The matter is entirely logical, captain.

As for the floodgates argument, it didn't bother Lord Atkinson. (And look where that ended up.)

I'd just like to say that phrase again: "goodness knows how many more locos and stock..." Oh yes! :drinks: :clapping: :clapping: :drinks:

Alan

[Edited to change 'themselves' to 'itself'. Bah, grammar.]

Edited by islandbridgejct

• RMweb Premium

Ah yes, but that was line occupancy in reality. As you don't run your actual timetable in actual time, there is plenty of room to stretch the space-time continuum to allow Midland stock to transmogrify itself onto the GN lines to the south of Crescent Bridge, and to transmogrify itself back as soon as it has left the station.

If anyone objects, all you have to do is set phasars to 'stun' and remove them from the premises before they come round. The matter is entirely logical, captain.

As for the floodgates argument, it didn't bother Lord Atkinson. (And look where that ended up.)

I'd just like to say that phrase again: "goodness knows how many more locos and stock..." Oh yes! :drinks: :clapping: :clapping: :drinks:

Alan

[Edited to change 'themselves' to 'itself'. Bah, grammar.]

Sorry, I can't do it. I set myself a target of working it as closely as possible to the real thing, as it just seemed important somehow to do so. I guess the rationale is that if I'm going to take trouble to get the infrastructure as correct as possible, I should do the same with what passed through it. That is why I'm still trying to get things even more correct wherever possible, within the structural compromises that were inevitable and inescapable.

I suppose what I'm saying is that the objections would come from myself, and I don't fancy being stunned, or worse. Pedantic, moi?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Following hot on the heels of the L1 came more ECS, again behind its train engine. This one is of course an M&GN service, and will hurry along the Down main, and reverse into number 4 bay.

post-98-0-63361100-1488388128_thumb.jpg

I'm not sure if I've photogaphed an Ivatt from this angle before?

• Like 18

Gilbert,

I don't remember L1's working locals between Peterborough and Grantham. I also seem to believe that Roy Jackson made this point on one occasion when I was in his company when the layout "High Dyke" wa the main topic of the conversation.

Out will come the books this evening. mainly the ones by Colin Walker.

Regards,Derek.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

I don't remember L1's working locals between Peterborough and Grantham. I also seem to believe that Roy Jackson made this point on one occasion when I was in his company when the layout "High Dyke" wa the main topic of the conversation.

Out will come the books this evening. mainly the ones by Colin Walker.

Regards,Derek.

I think we've discussed this before Derek, some considerable time ago. I have photos of Grantham's A5s at PN, so I believe L1s must have been used at least occasionally. It is a lovely model, and I like to support whichever manufacturer brings out ER stuff, so I couldn't resist one, and the only other real possibility to use one would be on the mid afternoon local from Hitchin, so depite my protestations above, I have bent things a bit, as I think it is arguable that they would have got to PN.It is only 29 miles, after all.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So why was that Ivatt having to hurry? As was normal at PN, there was another train not far behind, this one being a Hitchin - Colwick Class D.

post-98-0-27688900-1488406321_thumb.jpg

We don't see that many K3s, as New England only had five of them, and apparently they didn't work south all that often. It may be coming off at its home shed, as there doesn't seem to be much coal in the tender.

Then we come to another piece in the jigsaw.

post-98-0-97981600-1488406544_thumb.jpg

Yes, I know it looks more like a DMU, but it is another piece as well. Derby heavyweight from Silver Fox models, and ubiquitous all around Lincolnshire, and to PN on E.Lincs services. You may notice that thuis driver knows how to change the destination blinds, and that i didn't see what had happened to that ground signal. Mind you, I still can't see straight at all yet. The parcel contianing this goodie arrived damaged, and sadly the unit has a slightly sprung panel as well, but nothing that can't be remedied with a bit of care. By the way, I can't see whether things are sharp or not at present, so apologies if they aren't.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

I hope you will have your eyesight back to normal soon, Gilbert, which I'm sure you will, now that you have the diagnosis of the condition which you are suffering from.

Now, the class 114 has been a long time coming, and the Silver Fox model seems quite good. The DMBS, is, however, in some way, 'down' on it's underframe, with no solebar showing. I wonder how the body is attached to the underframe on these kits - hopefully it can be remedied easily.

The unit certainly plugs a big gap for Peterborough North, and I think you will be making good use of it. I'm not quite sure though, what the sprung panel is, unless it is what I've noticed about the DMBS.

Best regards,

Rob.

• RMweb Gold

Sorry, I can't do it. I set myself a target of working it as closely as possible to the real thing, as it just seemed important somehow to do so. I guess the rationale is that if I'm going to take trouble to get the infrastructure as correct as possible, I should do the same with what passed through it. That is why I'm still trying to get things even more correct wherever possible, within the structural compromises that were inevitable and inescapable.

A past boss of mine would no doubt be delighted to hear that as his father had been a Driver at Spital and was very much a 'Midland man' - I think it came pretty hard to him when his son got an AYM's job at New England (he probably thought it was even worse when he decamped to the Western!). 

I suppose what I'm saying is that the objections would come from myself, and I don't fancy being stunned, or worse. Pedantic, moi?

That's alright. You have just been tempted by one of the worse angels of these parts and have survived. :angel: I'm afraid it was a case of work for idle hands.

I hope the eye gets better soon, and that the statins / aspirin have the required effect.

Alan

I'm not sure if I've photogaphed an Ivatt from this angle before?

I will never get tired of seeing anything from that angle on the layout Gilbert.

Shots like this one and ones that show some of the bridge's signal box are among my favorites.

Please show as many as you can. :)

I hope your vision comes good soon and you are feeling better.

• RMweb Premium

That's alright. You have just been tempted by one of the worse angels of these parts and have survived. :angel: I'm afraid it was a case of work for idle hands.

I hope the eye gets better soon, and that the statins / aspirin have the required effect.

Alan

I thought I detected an element of wind up Alan. :yes:  It does me no harm to have my spine stiffened a bit every now and then though.

The eye will improve over the next couple of weeks, and now that my blood pressure and cholesterol are under control I'm told there is no need to worry. I just keep doing everything I did before, but rather more of it, and keep a closer eye on the contents of food.

• RMweb Premium

A past boss of mine would no doubt be delighted to hear that as his father had been a Driver at Spital and was very much a 'Midland man' - I think it came pretty hard to him when his son got an AYM's job at New England (he probably thought it was even worse when he decamped to the Western!). 

I sometimes wonder how much entrenched "Company" attitudes were a contributory factor to the lack of success of nationalisation. After all, it went back to pre grouping, didn't it, not just the big four?

• RMweb Premium

Our cameraman continued to teeter on the parapet of Crescent Bridge so that you could see the formation of the K3's train, as it passed below.

post-98-0-16258400-1488446915_thumb.jpg

Empty pipes tubes and highs was Andy Rush's advice, plus the inevitable coal empties which would be attached to any goods train heading to Colwick. The van at the front is there for coupling purposes until I get something else sorted out.

post-98-0-28495300-1488447136_thumb.jpg

And then our man at the other end captured this line up as 61978 came through. I'm not sure if I'm over brightening these at the moment?

I have now realised why I forgot to buy things on my shopping list yesterday. I hadn't remembered to put them on there in the first place. :senile:  Right, exercises, then golfing.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

I sometimes wonder how much entrenched "Company" attitudes were a contributory factor to the lack of success of nationalisation. After all, it went back to pre grouping, didn't it, not just the big four?

Attitudes/prejudices certainly lingered. During my time at Haymarket in the late 1970s (long after St Margaret's had closed of course) there were traincrew who wouldn't acknowledge each other's existence because their grandfathers had worked either for the North British or the Caley. Add to that the sectarian mix of Hibs and Hearts supporters and rostering got quite complex - although I gather it was worse at Heaton where the roster clerks had to be aware of who was married to whom as well as other "interesting" personal relationships.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have just found this topic - as there are 600 pages to go through could you give me a hint as to the dates/timeline where I can follow your ballasting and pre work please.

Thanks