Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It would have to be in an open for me - I find the view from compartment coaches rather restricted.  Thompson, or an early MK1, I quite like them!

Additional thinks: We rode in a Bulleid open at the Bluebell last year, that was a very nice coach.

Neil, next time you're there try to get a seat in one of the Maunsell opens.

• RMweb Premium

Could be worse: What do you call a singer with a biscuit on his head? Lionel Rich Tea (groan!)

What do you call a singing computer? A Dell (other brands are available).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Neil, next time you're there try to get a seat in one of the Maunsell opens.

Unfortunately the train was Bulleid and MK1's only, but with the Q on the front it looked rather good.  Pics are on the desktop I currently can't get near with the leg permanently elevated!

Gilbert, I like that bird's eye view, probably as it isn't often seen nowadays.  Shades of RM in the 70's, but it does give a nice overall view of the layout.

• RMweb Premium

Some good news at last. I don't have gout, or rheumatoid arthritis, as had been suggested, just a slight cartilage tear, which is already healing. That means I can get back to fast walking and golf, and am no longer marooned on top of my hill. Just need a good night's sleep now. I shall celebrate by showing another view from the helicopter, or was it a  balloon?

post-98-0-85850100-1488976726_thumb.jpg

If you look at the siding on the far right, you can see one of the problems with the present bridge. We do now have another of the Roco kits, which I had hoped would form the basis of the replacement, but it occurs to me that it may well need an extension piece put in the centre. Can any of you very clever chaps tell me if that is feasible? Is it going to muck up the appearance of the whole thing?

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Is it possible to change the angle of the bridge slightly? Looks like the span might clear the tracks then but it may be my eyes!

Glad the knee is on the mend. Believe me you don't want gout!!!!

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert, I have great admiration for folk like yourself who have built a layout on which to run accurate full length trains. Thus my interest in the coaches earlier and now the fish train, an iconic part of the ECML scene.  Please could you tell us a little about the make-up of the train being the B1?

There are short(er) wheelbase vehicles and also the later white painted versions. Was it common for them to be mixed or were 'block' trains the norm? I have fond memories of the white Tri-ang van, branded Insulfish, which was part of my very first electric train set, so were these part of the scene also?

All manner of mixed stock could be found in most Grimsby fish trains, as a random search of various word combinations will show

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=grimsby+fish+train&client=firefox-b&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiomYzcwsfSAhVJJcAKHQpDC2oQ_AUICCgB&biw=1197&bih=675#imgrc=_

I believe the Birds Eye containers worked as a block.

I think an inserted centre panel in the bridge might be feasible. You would have to adjust the shape with a bit of cut-and-shut.

I might have one of those Roco bridges somewhere that you can have if you want to experiment. PM me if you are interested.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for all the suggestions regarding the bridge, which have been very helpful. One of those, or even a combination of a couple, could well be the way forward. Perhaps a short central insert and an extension of the piers is the best answer. I will consult Peter Leyland when he is fit, as the poor chap has back problems at present.

• Like 1

I had a nice long lie in this morning, and am now probably as awake as I shall ever be. Before I get embroiled in golf club stuff, I can deal with another recent request. The sequence showed that the 5.05pm Up Newcastle was due, and that it was Kings Cross Duty 12. The loco in the appropriate slot turned out to be an A4 :sungum: and not just any A4 either.

attachicon.gif22 1.JPG

a poor image , I'm afraid, but those signals proved to be impossible to photoshop properly. The next one is rather better.

attachicon.gif22 2.JPG

About right for a late evening shot against a low setting sun, I hope.

Do you know when the NRM got their hands on her, and dare I say had her first 'stuffed and mounted'? I presume it was pre-1970

Do you know when the NRM got their hands on her, and dare I say had her first 'stuffed and mounted'? I presume it was pre-1970

I was under the impression that the initial restoration in the 1960s (no NRM as we know it now) was merely cosmetic. It was 20 years later when it was restored to main line running condition, although its outings in the 1980s were few; and has not been used since IIRC.

I was under the impression that the initial restoration in the 1960s (no NRM as we know it now) was merely cosmetic. It was 20 years later when it was restored to main line running condition, although its outings in the 1980s were few; and has not been used since IIRC.

Did not "Mallard" first go into the erstwhile Clapham museum?

• RMweb Gold

You've slipped through another real photo in that second one, Gilbert! It's so real, and I had to look twice at it;)

Mallard was indeed in the Clapham Museum at first. I have some photos lying around somewhere!

Regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LNER_Class_A4_4468_Mallard

Please do not use stuffed in the same sentence as Mallard.

:scared:

I'm sorry about that mate, but what would you rather: make pilgrimages to York to see your beloved namesake engine, or see it from the lineside or even travel behind it all around the country on the main line?

(Mind you, we can't be too pushy, at least one can travel behind Flying Scotsman)