Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It looks far better than the yellow sand colour that gradually crept up on everyone.

What are the other stages you plan?

It needs some judicious blending of other colours to stop it being too "samey", and I need to work out how to clean off the sleepers too. Then, as Neil says, some oil and grease where locos have been standing.

• RMweb Premium

It looks so real to me, Gilbert. I like all you have accomplished so far with the ballasting work. I hope you are to do more in due course.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thanks Rob. It will all have to be done eventually, but I prefer to cover small and out of the way areas first. I've already found that the way I did the area the other side of the bridge isn't the best way to go about it, so there is still a degree of experimentation going on. Carefully, and in small steps, is the way to go.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Round about midday, a pick up goods left New England and meandered very slowly as far as Hitchin. All the photos I've seen show a WD at the head of this train, but as we know, by owner's decree the shedmaster has a shortage of those at the moment, and so some 02s have been temporarily transferred to plug the gap. Thus, everyone is happy. The layout owner can run more 02s than should appear, and the shedmaster's problem is solved. Here is the train at the start of its long and slow progress.

post-98-0-95209200-1509356444_thumb.jpg

Despite all my efforts there are still lighting problems at this end, and some lattices still defeat me.

post-98-0-30197700-1509356541_thumb.jpg

And of course a GN 02 will be even more popular in some quarters.

• Like 18

Would that pick-up leave at midday to take advantage of the mid-afternoon lull? What time would it be booked to arrive at Hitchin? I note that the entire train appears to be fitted stock  - was that typical?

Nice to see an O2 - I think I have said before that I only ever saw one of these engines when I was a short-trousered spotter watching the ECML traffic one Saturday with my father. We were on the long footbridge at the south end of Hatfield station and it came through light engine heading north. Dad greeted it like a long lost friend as his memories extended to train spotting from the old Highbury stadium when he used to go to reserve matches (he couldn't afford the first team games) and in the thirties he would have regularly seen O2s. He said that the larger cab numbers of LNER days were clearly readable from the terraces.

Chaz

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Would that pick-up leave at midday to take advantage of the mid-afternoon lull? What time would it be booked to arrive at Hitchin? I note that the entire train appears to be fitted stock  - was that typical?

Nice to see an O2 - I think I have said before that I only ever saw one of these engines when I was a short-trousered spotter watching the ECML traffic one Saturday with my father. We were on the long footbridge at the south end of Hatfield station and it came through light engine heading north. Dad greeted it like a long lost friend as his memories extended to train spotting from the old Highbury stadium when he used to go to reserve matches (he couldn't afford the first team games) and in the thirties he would have regularly seen O2s. He said that the larger cab numbers of LNER days were clearly readable from the terraces.

Chaz

Morning Chaz. It took seven hours to get to Hitchin, and except in the two track bottlenecks spent the whole time, not surprisingly, on the slow goods lines. The photos show mainly fitted stock, and Andy Rush told me some years back that loaded minerals in mixed trains were not typical, unless in a section to be removed at specific locations, so that's what I work on.

• Like 1

Morning Chaz. It took seven hours to get to Hitchin, and except in the two track bottlenecks spent the whole time, not surprisingly, on the slow goods lines. The photos show mainly fitted stock, and Andy Rush told me some years back that loaded minerals in mixed trains were not typical, unless in a section to be removed at specific locations, so that's what I work on.

The implication being that by the late fifties most goods wagons were fitted, with the unfitted stock replaced by BR new-builds? The only non-fitted stock seen in any numbers were minerals - and mostly steel sixteen tonners? I suppose I ought to do a cull of the grey wagons on Dock Green.....but in the interests of variety.....

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Gold

The implication being that by the late fifties most goods wagons were fitted, with the unfitted stock replaced by BR new-builds? The only non-fitted stock seen in any numbers were minerals - and mostly steel sixteen tonners? I suppose I ought to do a cull of the grey wagons on Dock Green.....but in the interests of variety.....

Chaz

It depends on the traffic as well.  Effectively a lot of traffic was by then being moved in Vans and increasingly the fleet of Vans was fitted but some full loads were still passing in other types of wagon - again depends very much on the nature of the traffic.  And no doubt on a train like the one Gilbert is portraying the last things anybody would have done was bag-up the vacuum pipes, a load of faffing about and time wasting to minimal practical effect on a slow freight.

• RMweb Premium

It depends on the traffic as well.  Effectively a lot of traffic was by then being moved in Vans and increasingly the fleet of Vans was fitted but some full loads were still passing in other types of wagon - again depends very much on the nature of the traffic.  And no doubt on a train like the one Gilbert is portraying the last things anybody would have done was bag-up the vacuum pipes, a load of faffing about and time wasting to minimal practical effect on a slow freight.

Yes, I remember Andy Rush telling me that at March they would calculate how much time could be saved en route by bagging up, and it if came to less than the time it would take to do it, it wasn't done!

• Like 1