Peterborough North

great northern

Love the goods train Gilbert, can we have more?

Would also love a look at the Northumbrian if you can manage it - particularly the triplet!

Andy

Andy,

This might help............

post-18225-0-68578400-1510831255_thumb.jpg

This picture, taken (in 1959, I think) at York shows the northbound 'Northumbrian' passing the loco depot. The Cravens prototype SO can be seen, as can the 1938 'Flying Scotsman' triplet (though the standing bar modification is difficult to see). Note the roundels on these three catering cars, something (as far as I know) applied from 1956/'57. Also note the carmine/cream cars in the set. 

post-18225-0-24823300-1510831459_thumb.jpg

This is the summer 1959 consist for the 'Northumbrian', photocopied from BR's own documents. 

post-18225-0-84899000-1510831548_thumb.jpg

This is the same ex-'38 Scotsman triplet which runs in Gilbert's 'Northumbrian'. It, too, was built by John Houlden (or at least, mostly in this case), using Rupert Brown's etches (available from Dan Pinnock and now, Comet). I built the bogies for this and have since added the grab rails and door handles. It's due to be painted soon. Though this is the wrong side to show the filled-in window behind the bar in the FO, the lack of light through the nearest full window defines it. 

post-18225-0-71604100-1510832147_thumb.jpg

post-18225-0-36952400-1510832169_thumb.jpg

Most Newcastle trains of the period had Gresley triplet catering sets in their formations. These two, taken near Retford in 1958, show 1924 or 1928 triplets (close examination should identify which type) show Up Newcastle expresses. Most were quite long (up to 13 bogies), with the majority of cars Mk. 1s. 

I hope this is of use. 

• Like 13

Features on coaching rakes happen now and again, but on goods trains, hardly ever. Here is that Colwick Class F in detail, a nicely mixed set.

attachicon.gifgoods 4.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 5.JPG

attachicon.gifgoods 6.JPG

I very soon decided that I didn't fancy shopping the same background six times, but made an exception for the last one, as the Claud could be seen, unobscured.

Every opportunity taken of course to get coal down to London, including some loco coal for Top Shed this time. Then something happened on the Down, for a change, as we see Enterprise with the 1230 KX- Newcastle. It will come off at Grantham, and no doubt another round trip to London will occur before the day's work is done.

Some 'Loco Coal' transfers would improve those ex-LNER cupboard-door 21 tonners no end; many of these still carried these markings into the late-1960s. Indeed, I saw what looked like an ex-works one at Llanelli in the early 1970s; they were amongst the motley fleet serving Carmarthen Bay Power Station.

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

This might help............

attachicon.gifE26 Northumbrian.jpg

This picture, taken (in 1959, I think) at York shows the northbound 'Northumbrian' passing the loco depot. The Cravens prototype SO can be seen, as can the 1938 'Flying Scotsman' triplet (though the standing bar modification is difficult to see). Note the roundels on these three catering cars, something (as far as I know) applied from 1956/'57. Also note the carmine/cream cars in the set. 

attachicon.gifTrains 17 Northumbrian consist.jpg

This is the summer 1959 consist for the 'Northumbrian', photocopied from BR's own documents. 

attachicon.gifTrains 22 1938 Scotsman triplet.jpg

This is the same ex-'38 Scotsman triplet which runs in Gilbert's 'Northumbrian'. It, too, was built by John Houlden (or at least, mostly in this case), using Rupert Brown's etches (available from Dan Pinnock and now, Comet). I built the bogies for this and have since added the grab rails and door handles. It's due to be painted soon. Though this is the wrong side to show the filled-in window behind the bar in the FO, the lack of light through the nearest full window defines it. 

attachicon.gif60008 small.jpg

attachicon.gif60017 small.jpg

Most Newcastle trains of the period had Gresley triplet catering sets in their formations. These two, taken near Retford in 1958, show 1924 or 1928 triplets (close examination should identify which type) show Up Newcastle expresses. Most were quite long (up to 13 bogies), with the majority of cars Mk. 1s. 

I hope this is of use.

Great photo of the Northumbrian Tony, but I don't know how you can be certain that the triplet is the 1938 one rather than a '24 or '28 version - very impressive powers of observation if you can! I like the Cravens coach - makes a change from the standard mk 1s. I intend to base my Northumbrian on the winter 1958 formation which had the Cravens FO as well as the SO. It's good news if Comet are introducing a kit for the 1938 triplet but I can't see it on their website. Is it available now? I thought they only did the earlier version and had resigned myself to substituting one of those as must of happened from time to time in real life.

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium

Great photo of the Northumbrian Tony, but I don't know how you can be certain that the triplet is the 1938 one rather than a '24 or '28 version - very impressive powers of observation if you can! I like the Cravens coach - makes a change from the standard mk 1s. I intend to base my Northumbrian on the winter 1958 formation which had the Cravens FO as well as the SO. It's good news if Comet are introducing a kit for the 1938 triplet but I can't see it on their website. Is it available now? I thought they only did the earlier version and had resigned myself to substituting one of those as must of happened from time to time in real life.

Regards

Andy

Hi Andy,

It is Wizard models who now have the etches for the RDEB kits, as well as the complete Comet range. I can't remember if the triplet is available currently, but a quick look at the web site will tell you.

• RMweb Premium

Regards

Andy

The 38 one has longer Saloons? I'm not sure if the Kitchen Car is also longer without looking at my Isinglasses.

I can't see a RDEB Triplet on the Wizard site but I might have missed it. Finding the Comet Triplet was a challenge as well!

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

Great video.  I thought the through trains were moving rather faster than I had imagined, and 22 accelerates away rather smartly. Shame the clips aren't longer but colour film must have been very expensive then.

I felt like I knew where I was and that I had been there.....but only in this thread is the truth.  That is perhaps the best accolade I can give!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the You Tube link,I like the V2 with just a single LMS parcels van, I wonder what movement that was? Also the diference in Maroon on the coaches within some trains - would look so wrong on a model.......

Tony

I've had another look at the video. The V2 was coming under Spital Bridge,on the Up main, so it could either carry on through the station, or reverse into the sidings once it gets to North box. It can't be attaching the van to a train, as that train would have to be at Platform 2, and thus blocking the V2's path. The other possibility would be to go down to Crescent Bridge, then reverse into number 1 bay or the loading dock, but none of the possibilities seem to account for a Class B headcode.

• Like 1

Regards

Andy

Andy,

For obvious copyright reasons, the image of the 'Northumbrian' I posted was very low-res'. I have the high-res scans here (for forthcoming books), and, under enlargement, you can see the triplet has angle trussing. Earlier triplets had turnbuckle trussing. 

As others have said, the part kits (no bogies as far as I know) are (or were) available from Andrew Hartshorne. Perhaps Dan Pinnock still has some. 

Golden Age have produced an RTR triplet set in maroon, based on the 1938 Scotsman catering cars. However (despite my being assured it would be present), the standing bar was missing and the example I examined (at Warley, seven years ago) had maroon ends and LNER brandings in part. I walked away! I was still working full-time, so had a bit of spare cash. However, I'm glad I've gone down the route I chose. 

In fairness, the LNER Golden Age set does look lovely - at a price. 

Edited by Tony Wright

• RMweb Premium

Andy,

For obvious copyright reasons, the image of the 'Northumbrian' I posted was very low-res'. I have the high-res scans here (for forthcoming books), and, under enlargement, you can see the triplet has angle trussing. Earlier triplets had turnbuckle trussing. 

As others have said, the part kits (no bogies as far as I know) are (or were) available from Andrew Hartshorne. Perhaps Dan Pinnock still has some. 

Golden Age have produced an RTR triplet set in maroon, based on the 1938 Scotsman catering cars. However (despite my being assured it would be present), the standing bar was missing and the example I examined (at Warley, seven years ago) had maroon ends and LNER brandings in part. I walked away! I was still working full-time, so had a bit of spare cash. However, I'm glad I've gone down the route I chose. 

In fairness, the LNER Golden Age set does look lovely - at a price.

Thanks Tony,

Angle trussing would give the game away, I hadn't thought of that!

Phil, Gilbert, I'm pretty sure it's not on the Wizard website. I assume Andrew will be at Warley - I'll ask him there.

Andy

I'm pretty sure it's not on the Wizard website. I assume Andrew will be at Warley - I'll ask him there.

I was going to suggest just that - I had my Leeds Quint kit from him before it was listed. Rupert is also at Warley as a demonstrator, so you can ask him directly.

If that avenue leads nowhere, there is an alternative... the 1938 triplet we run in the Flying Scotsman set on Grantham was done using laser cut sides and built much like a Kirk kit. By all means come and say hello (I'm doing the weathering demonstration at Warley) and I can see about putting you in touch with the chap who made those.

Edited by jwealleans

This video just popped up in my YouTube feed. While it’s a little later than your era, my goodness does it show how much you got it right. I suppose the only thing that I noticed different was the amount of stock just lying about, but perhaps those were just in the goods sidings which you’ve had to omit.

Is it bad that I recognize the Baker Perkins building in first glance now? Have I got PN fixation do you think?

https://youtu.be/cfWfh8oGN1o

Now, to find you another half dozen V2s and an N2 (presume that was a post 1960 ring in).

Cheers

Tony

Very interesting - albeit dark - especially seeing just how much was going on at the station at once - almost like a typical model railway show with stuff flying hither and yon all the time!

• Like 3

If anyone is interested in the earlier 1928 Flying Scotsman Triplet Dining Set in 4mm, the etches are available from CPL Products (Paul Bambrick). Bought a set recently and they are excellent and checking against the Isinglass drawings are very accurate. 

Also regarding Wizard/RDEB, Rupert at RDEB has drawn and has etches for the 1937 East Anglian set, coach diagrams D236 to D240 under development. These ran behind the two Streamlined B17's. Now that really would make a nice train.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

There's a train appearing from under the roof, but it isn't the Heart of Midlothian. Our local A2/3 Chamossaire is passing through non stop with a West Riding relief.

post-98-0-96304400-1510956510_thumb.jpg

and while our photographer was in this somewhat elevated position he swung the camera round, and captured Brancepeth Castle again.

post-98-0-99123300-1510956625_thumb.jpg

Hornby's front end is definitely nearer to the real thing than this Crownline kit managed to get.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

A close up of the catering stock behind the A4 shows that this must be either the Norseman, or a boat train special from Tyne Commisssion Quay.

post-98-0-69030000-1511083434_thumb.jpg

FO RF RSP SO (dining).  Half of the train, in fact.

post-98-0-17318900-1511083541_thumb.jpg

Following close behind came an Inverkeithing- KX Goods Class C, re-engined a mile away at New England, and now just providing the spotters with one of our regulars. They can only wonder whether a rarity from Up north is now sitting on shed.

And now I eagerly await a visitor, and a leap forward for PN.

• Like 19