Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Gilbert, that is superb! The ‘new’ Crescent Bridge really makes all the difference. I can’t really think of anything else for you to do apart from routine maintenance and re-colouring of the ballast.

Best regards,

Rob.

Thank you gentlemen. I am indeed very pleased, but as always I can now see the possibility of making things even better. I'll put up the other photos I took tonight, and then comment generally.

bridge 2.JPG

Here you can see the full extent of the extension on this side. It makes a big difference, but Peter and I both think it could go a bit further still.

Bridge 3.JPG

Impressive bulk from this angle, and we have now been able to extend the loading dock to a ramp coming down just past the bridge, which is prototypically more correct. There wasn't time to paint the extension though. Some form of backscene on that blank wall is also essential, and I have idea as to what that might entail.

bridge end.JPG

and here is the extension seen from the Up platform. This shows, I think, why we consider a shortish further extension would be even better.

across bridge.JPG

pretty self explanatory I think. Some detail and some people and vehicles will be needed. Is it really true that a bridge has to have a bus on it? :jester:

bridge from forecourt.JPG

This is one I really want to get right, the view along Station Road from the forecourt. Even with the new bridge, I still can't quite get what I'd like, as I've had to angle the camera so as not to show the bridge coming to an abrupt end.

Tomorrow I shall take some more, including perhaps some trains, and in daylight instead of this horrid unnatural artificial stuff. I shall then also be able to show the closer view of Station Road heading under the bridge, and the extension to the loading dock. I couldn't do that tonight as the paint wasn't dry.

That is an utterly glorious addition to PN. I'm so pleased for you.

Paul

attachicon.gif1626 high.JPG

Hornby's front end is definitely nearer to the real thing than this Crownline kit managed to get.

Good morning Gilbert,

What's wrong with the front end of Crownline's B17? Or is it the fault of the builder? In that case, who built it? It looks to me as if the smokebox extends a twitch too much. 

With respect, I think you're unkind to the Crownline kit. Whoever built/painted yours hasn't paid attention to the fact that it should have 12-spoke bogie wheels, cylinder drain cocks, lubricator pipe runs along the boiler side, hasn't glazed the cab (which isn't perpendicular), has used the smaller numbers and I'm not sure about the colour.

post-18225-0-06954300-1511167993_thumb.jpg

Here's the Crownline one I built for myself, posed in a similar position. Geoff Haynes painted/weathered this for me - somewhere, on the floor of the Springfields Centre at Spalding, someone will find the missing nameplate! As far as I can tell (photographs and drawings), the front end proportion is correct (as I hope it is on GAYTON HALL which I built for you). 

There's no doubt that the Hornby B17 is a very good model, though the bogie wheels (despite having the right number of spokes) are awful. I'm not sure about its smokebox door either - it looks more like the original NER-style 'door, much rarer on B17s in BR days than the later, more bulbous one. 

I've no wish to be contentious, but I think you're being a bit unfair on the Crownline kit. 

Wonderful bridge, by the way.

See you later this morning,

Regards,

Tony. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

A couple more of the V2 hauled Class C this morning, before I go and contemplate my lovely new bridge again.

post-98-0-16508200-1511170798_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62560100-1511170855_thumb.jpg

There is already a significant change to the second view since this was taken, which the sharp eyed among you may perhaps have noted in pictures above.

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif1626 high.JPG

Hornby's front end is definitely nearer to the real thing than this Crownline kit managed to get.

Good morning Gilbert,

What's wrong with the front end of Crownline's B17? Or is it the fault of the builder? In that case, who built it? It looks to me as if the smokebox extends a twitch too much. 

With respect, I think you're unkind to the Crownline kit. Whoever built/painted yours hasn't paid attention to the fact that it should have 12-spoke bogie wheels, cylinder drain cocks, lubricator pipe runs along the boiler side, hasn't glazed the cab (which isn't perpendicular), has used the smaller numbers and I'm not sure about the colour.

attachicon.gifB17 61620.jpg

Here's the Crownline one I built for myself, posed in a similar position. Geoff Haynes painted/weathered this for me - somewhere, on the floor of the Springfields Centre at Spalding, someone will find the missing nameplate! As far as I can tell (photographs and drawings), the front end proportion is correct (as I hope it is on GAYTON HALL which I built for you). 

There's no doubt that the Hornby B17 is a very good model, though the bogie wheels (despite having the right number of spokes) are awful. I'm not sure about its smokebox door either - it looks more like the original NER-style 'door, much rarer on B17s in BR days than the later, more bulbous one. 

I've no wish to be contentious, but I think you're being a bit unfair on the Crownline kit. 

Wonderful bridge, by the way.

See you later this morning,

Regards,

Tony.

Sorry Tony, but I would respectfully disagree. I realise you have a distaste for ready to run products and Hornby bogie wheels in particular but I would have to say that the front overhang on the example you have shown is much greater than on than on the prototype or the Hornby, the cab windows are too small, the front steps are miniscule, the cab also looks out of square and you can clearly see the Romford/Markit wheel nuts. As for the shade of green, well your photo seems to show it as closer to olive green than BR Brunswick Green. The sweep of the rear of the footplate also looks too steep. I would therefore contend that Gilbert was actually being rather kind to the Crownline example he showed and your image appears to confirm that.

I, for one, am a keen admirer of B17s and I do prefer the Hornby example as a more reasonable representation of the prototype, even though it could be further improved too. What I observe though is that prior to the entry of the Hornby model, the Crow line kit gave a representation of the B17, but compared to the Hornby example, it does seem to have more faults. I’m not as expert on all prototype matters as you are, but in terms of representing one of my favourite locomotive classes, I certainly know which one I’d prefer to run on my layout.

Kind regards

Tony

Sorry Tony, but I would respectfully disagree. I realise you have a distaste for ready to run products and Hornby bogie wheels in particular but I would have to say that the front overhang on the example you have shown is much greater than on than on the prototype or the Hornby, the cab windows are too small, the front steps are miniscule, the cab also looks out of square and you can clearly see the Romford/Markit wheel nuts. As for the shade of green, well your photo seems to show it as closer to olive green than BR Brunswick Green. The sweep of the rear of the footplate also looks too steep. I would therefore contend that Gilbert was actually being rather kind to the Crownline example he showed and your image appears to confirm that.

I, for one, am a keen admirer of B17s and I do prefer the Hornby example as a more reasonable representation of the prototype, even though it could be further improved too. What I observe though is that prior to the entry of the Hornby model, the Crow line kit gave a representation of the B17, but compared to the Hornby example, it does seem to have more faults. I’m not as expert on all prototype matters as you are, but in terms of representing one of my favourite locomotive classes, I certainly know which one I’d prefer to run on my layout.

Kind regards

Tony

Thanks Tony,

I don't know whether I've really expressed a 'distaste' for RTR products. It's just that I much prefer to see something someone has actually made; by themselves, for themselves. Even if the end-product does not reach the 'perfection' of an RTR alternative. 

I take your valid points about the Crownline B17 (one thing I need to do is move the bogie further forward on mine, which would alter the front overhang appearance). Thanks for not noticing that one of the washout plugs is in the wrong place. 

'Olive green'? Perhaps, but Hornby's BR green isn't right at source, either.

Are you saying the cab on mine is out of square? In what way?

Speaking of 'preferences', rightly (or should that be Wrightly?) or wrongly, I know which I'd sooner run, despite its deficiencies. When I have visitors (many of them) to see Little Bytham, what can I say about an RTR loco? I bought it? And, it's perfect? 

Kind regards,

Tony. 

Edited by Tony Wright

Thanks Tony,

I don't know whether I've really expressed a 'distaste' for RTR products. It's just that I much prefer to see something someone has actually made; by themselves, for themselves. Even if the end-product does not reach the 'perfection' of an RTR alternative.

I take your valid points about the Crownline B17 (one thing I need to do is move the bogie further forward on mine, which would alter the front overhang appearance). Thanks for not noticing that one of the washout plugs is in the wrong place.

'Olive green'? Perhaps, but Hornby's BR green isn't right at source, either.

Are you saying the cab on mine is out of square? In what way?

Speaking of 'preferences', rightly (or should that be Wrightly?) or wrongly, I know which I'd sooner run, despite its deficiencies. When I have visitors (many of them) to see Little Bytham, what can I say about an RTR loco? I bought it? And, it's perfect?

Kind regards,

Tony.

I suppose it's horses for courses, though it seems to me you almost risk fetishising the process over the outcome. I guess most of us are in awe of "great modelling" - certainly I love going to exhibitions and having my breath taken away by what people have achieved. Though I confess I'd be less interested in looking at a collection of demonstrably inaccurate models no matter how proud the owner of their achievements (or how hopelessly worse my own ham-fisted efforts would look).

Gilbert often generously gives credit to the superb craftsmen who have contributed to achieving his vision. I think most of us are with him, whether they are named or are Hornby's own craftsmen.

Paul

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

After finishing my repairs (I hope it's still working, Gilbert), I took the opportunity to take some pictures featuring some of Peter Leyland's contributions to PN.

attachicon.gifDsc_5767.jpg

The new Crescent Bridge is simply stunning. It's a pity there isn't a lamp nor a front coupling on the B1 (and you really should dust the models my friend), but the new structure (even though there's a bus on it) sets this south end up very well indeed. 

attachicon.gifDSC_5770.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC_5772.JPG

Peter's train shed and station building are among the finest examples of architectural modelling it's been my privilege to photograph. I'm not sure which of these (similar) views through the train shed I prefer. The more 'moody' one? And, the track is 'wobbly' - prototypical? 

attachicon.gifDsc_5774.jpg

The new bridge makes an excellent frame for the trains. 

I love that aluminium paint edged smokebox numberplate on the B1 - I can't remember which depot it was that did it but it certainly stirred a few memories.

I love that aluminium paint edged smokebox numberplate on the B1 - I can't remember which depot it was that did it but it certainly stirred a few memories.

I believe it was  40B Immingham if memory serves me right and I also think 61142 was an  Immingham emgime.

• RMweb Premium

Nice bus.

The new bridge is breathtaking, my favourite parts are the latticework cross beams above the road though - well away from the trains.  A real step on for PN, which continues to develop very nicely, and a few new photo opportunities made also.

I agree about yet more extension to the left, just to allow that photo angle more freedom to swing about.

Those new photos have made my day - thank you Gilbert and of course Peter 'Gravy Train' Leyland.

• RMweb Premium

The ballast is looking very good there Gilbert. Are you happy with how it’s going?

Cheers

Tony

I think I'm getting the hang of it now Tony. I've just had a few more pastels delivered, mainly subtly different greys, which I reckon will do the job.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Nice bus.

The new bridge is breathtaking, my favourite parts are the latticework cross beams above the road though - well away from the trains.  A real step on for PN, which continues to develop very nicely, and a few new photo opportunities made also.

I agree about yet more extension to the left, just to allow that photo angle more freedom to swing about.

Those new photos have made my day - thank you Gilbert and of course Peter 'Gravy Train' Leyland.

Those cross beams sum up Peter's pride in his workmanship, Neil. We were using the Roco bridge as the basis for the model, but Peter couldn't live with what the kit provided, so he scratchbuilt these. What a difference they make, and how I love that bridge!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Something strange is going on.

post-98-0-47553800-1511301716_thumb.jpg

A B1 with express lights, but there is no E.Lincs Class A due for several hours, and anyway this is a Hitchin loco. What can the carriages behind the tender tell us?

post-98-0-22730600-1511301895_thumb.jpg

Ah, I see! This is the Northumbrian, running out of course behind the Heart of Midlothian. Obviously there has been a failure down south, and this was the best Hitchin could provide at short notice. Perhaps we should examine the rest of the rake, just to make sure.

post-98-0-08871700-1511302099_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-88168200-1511302111_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-19118000-1511302128_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-56291200-1511302147_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-62552600-1511302166_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-28846800-1511302188_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-43341400-1511302209_thumb.jpg

Yes, definitely the Northumbrian. Did you notice how I got myself out of the hole I'd dug myself there? It wasn't in the wrong place in the sequence, just running late. It also allowed me to deal with Andy's request to have a look at the stock. Almost clever, that.

• Like 18

G'Day Folks

I thought you could have had a good sequence of pics. when the A1 (?) had it's smoke deflector started to come adrift, there's no way in the world it would have been allowed to continue, the Driver would have been demanding to have it replaced, he would not have wanted that on his record, that he allowed a smoke deflector to fall off in his charge, so it should have been taken off and a replacement found (that filthy V2 standing around all day, on relief) I know it would have ruined the timetable, but it would have given you a perfect opportunity to get everything in the wrong place, just like the real thing.

I can remember one Christmas time, the KX-Newcastle stock was still in Newcastle, a couple of hours before it was due to leave the 'Cross' there were frantic calls to Bounds Green and Hornsey C/S to find some spare stock, guess who got the job to go pick it up and bring it in to the 'Cross', half was at Bounds Green, half was at Hornsey, still left on time, but only just.

manna

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Something strange is going on.

attachicon.gifN1.JPG

A B1 with express lights, but there is no E.Lincs Class A due for several hours, and anyway this is a Hitchin loco. What can the carriages behind the tender tell us?

attachicon.gifNS1.JPG

Ah, I see! This is the Northumbrian, running out of course behind the Heart of Midlothian. Obviously there has been a failure down south, and this was the best Hitchin could provide at short notice. Perhaps we should examine the rest of the rake, just to make sure.

attachicon.gifNS 2.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 3.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 4.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 5.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 6.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 7.JPG

attachicon.gifNS 8.JPG

Yes, definitely the Northumbrian. Did you notice how I got myself out of the hole I'd dug myself there? It wasn't in the wrong place in the sequence, just running late. It also allowed me to deal with Andy's request to have a look at the stock. Almost clever, that.

Love the triplet Gilbert, and the Cravens is icing on the cake!

Thanks

Andy