Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

It's worth weathering as an individual item but then as you have done in the rake keep it away from that lovely new non corridor third (which I am sure you are not going to touch) otherwise the contrast could be too great

You are quite right, I daren't do anything to mar that lovely finish!  They will be in this order, so as far apart as they can be.

• RMweb Premium

Good to see the L&Y coach has turned up G., Ian and Dave have of course made a lovely job of it!

I have in mind that those LM trains were sometimes made up of an LMS 3-coach gangwayed (Inter-District?) set plus a non-gangwayed coach as a 'strengthener', but I know you will have the relevant documentation to support what you run!

Not really Steve, as I don't have the sort of detail about the LMS in my library that I do about the LNER, so I've had to rely on photos which as usual tend to be those three quarter views in which only the first one or two vehicles can be clearly seen. There are enough where it can be seen that the first two are non corridor though to make me fairly confident about what I've done. My other set has two Larry Goddard Midland Railway corridor thirds, which he assured me would be typical for this kind of service.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Not really Steve, as I don't have the sort of detail about the LMS in my library that I do about the LNER, so I've had to rely on photos which as usual tend to be those three quarter views in which only the first one or two vehicles can be clearly seen. There are enough where it can be seen that the first two are non corridor though to make me fairly confident about what I've done. My other set has two Larry Goddard Midland Railway corridor thirds, which he assured me would be typical for this kind of service.

They probably varied, but I remembered Barrie Walls running a representation of such a train on his 'Wallsea' layout which was made up as I described, and he is usually pretty hot on getting formations as nearly correct as he can.  Do some of Vic Fincham's pictures show the 'Midland' trains thus formed, as well?

• RMweb Premium

They probably varied, but I remembered Barrie Walls running a representation of such a train on his 'Wallsea' layout which was made up as I described, and he is usually pretty hot on getting formations as nearly correct as he can.  Do some of Vic Fincham's pictures show the 'Midland' trains thus formed, as well?

I've just had another look Steve. The first four I found all differ. One is all corridor, another as you describe, three corridor and one non corridor, and the other two have two of each. For once it seems that whatever I do may be OK. Having said that, I am notoriously bad at identifying coaching stock.

Hi Gilbert,

Thats a nice set of coaches you have mustered there.  Gresley's and Thompson's, Short, End Vestibules, Brakes, Restaurant, etc.

I have been considering a "Wright bodge" using a Hornby 1st Sleeper (red and cream) to convert it to a Composite to add to my set.  Both Comet and MJT produce a the same Composite sides Diagram D6/D130.

My question is which is the best?  I my discussions with a well known builder has suggested MJT (Mike Trice).  I am leaning that way, but another opinion is valued.  I will put my question to Mr Wright too I think.  Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

I'd go for MJT over Comet. The Comet ones don't have the hinge holes and I don't think their windows are quite the right shape. The MJT roof is better, although more work.

These are BCKs, but you can compare for yourself:

MJT

d175_42879.jpg

Comet

Comet_BCK_4236.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I'd go for MJT over Comet. The Comet ones don't have the hinge holes and I don't think their windows are quite the right shape. The MJT roof is better, although more work.

These are BCKs, but you can compare for yourself:

MJT

d175_42879.jpg

Comet

Comet_BCK_4236.jpg

I would have said either, however I find the Comet sides Droplight 'hole' too small (often I didn't fit the supplied drop thinking it looked better that way). IMO the Comet sides also are a bit of a ##### to solder together (top half to bottom half as the half etch 'lip' is often very narrow indeed). Yes, the MJT roof is better as JW says. However as the sides are so inexpensive you could try both and see what you think. You could experiment with the 51L roof from Wizard that is a nice moulding. I did find that a tad short on a Comet conversion compared to the Comet  roof. I think MJT Bogie sides are a bit more detailed than Comet's. The 247 Developments range used toi be even better but I think they have gone forever?

Phil 

Edited by Mallard60022

• RMweb Premium

I would have said either, however I find the Comet sides Droplight 'hole' too small (often I didn't fit the supplied drop thinking it looked better that way). IMO the Comet sides also are a bit of a ##### to solder together (top half to bottom half as the half etch 'lip' is often very narrow indeed). Yes, the MJT roof is better as JW says. However as the sides are so inexpensive you could try both and see what you think. You could experiment with the 51L roof from Wizard that is a nice moulding. I did find that a tad short on a Comet conversion compared to the Comet  roof. I think MJT Bogie sides are a bit more detailed than Comet's. The 247 Developments range used toi be even better but I think they have gone forever?

Phil

I used Mousa sides for my d130. They were OK, but quite difficult to attach at the roof. I find the lip on the MJT sides which locates under the cornice makes the job easier. Not sure whether comet also have this lip as I have only built their Thompson’s.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Lovely shots of Silver Link and the marvellous selection of coaches behind it. The loco and coaches merged into the photographs in a most natural fashion capturing the complete station atmosphere on the ECML in the late 50s.

Eric

• RMweb Premium

I used Mousa sides for my d130. They were OK, but quite difficult to attach at the roof. I find the lip on the MJT sides which locates under the cornice makes the job easier. Not sure whether comet also have this lip as I have only built their Thompson’s.

No lip .................. 

P

I think the grain wagons look excellent and have the advantage, being taller than the minerals, of forming an effective backdrop to "the action". Have you thought about some sort of low screen so that your camera doesn't see "sky" between the wheels and under the couplings of the line of wagons?

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I think the grain wagons look excellent and have the advantage, being taller than the minerals, of forming an effective backdrop to "the action". Have you thought about some sort of low screen so that your camera doesn't see "sky" between the wheels and under the couplings of the line of wagons?

Chaz

The Grain wagons look OK from that sort of distance, however they are Wrenn 'classics' so not to scale. Nevertheless they are quite precious.

Phil (Ducky)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Chaz

It will have to be a very thin one Chaz, as already I'm derailing wagons on the far line as I try to squeeze past them. I shall a) try to lose a bit of weight, and b) find some thin plasticard, though that isn't going to solve the problem, is it?